Adidas rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by antonr, Aug 30, 2014.

1. antonr

antonr Regular Member

IT
    I'd written a longer post but accidently deleted it, basically, thinking of getting a new racket, I'm a beginner having only really started a few months ago playing casual games but I'm enjoying it so much I'm going to join a coaching class when I can make it and turn up for some of the organised games. I do have previous experience playing squash a few years ago so I'm not a total fool with a racket in my hands.

Anyway, having sort of sussed out what I like by playing with borrowed rackets I started browsing around online, I've come across an adidas racket that's in the price range I was looking to spend (£50-£60) and seems to be as flexible and balanced as I'd like.

However, I can't find it to try in the shops so my question is, are adidas rackets generally worth it? haven't seen anyone speaking about them here and most of the shops focus on Yonex. I wouldn't have gone near an Adidas squash racket but perhaps times have changed. (never been a big fan of pro kennex so I'd rather avoid them too)

I'm a bit disappointed to find I've obviously been out the game long enough that Mizuno don't do anything in the racket market as they made some wonderful squash rackets.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There are a number of reviews of adidas racquets in the forum. There are also some on the racquet section of the home page. Which model were you interested in?

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

The reviews here are of the top-line rackets - they were all saying the rackets are pretty good. I haven't seen much/anything on adidas mid-range rackets here, and judging by your budget it's likely a mid range racket that you are talking about

4. antonr

antonr Regular Member

IT
    yes, I'm not quite at the point where I want to spend over £100 on a racket, the amount of nuance that would give me would be a waste, the one I was looking at was called a power P800.

I'm kind of tempted to try it but judging by your sites suggestions I should be looking at a lowish string tension as a beginner so was looking to take advantage of the re-string service and get it done fairly low tension, meaning I wouldn't be eligible for returns.

other options were a Wilson Pro HG and a few li-ning rackets (mainly because an online shop called direct sport seemed to have a lot better offers on their rackets).

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's true that racquet reviews tend to concentrate around the more expensive models. Most midrange racquets are are of decent value.

In my more cash limited student days, I bought four midrange racquets for the price of two expensive ones.

6. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

If you push the boat out a bit there's a few old top end rackets you can get. The Li ning n77ii is one particular example from directbadminton.co.uk, which is copying sweatband clearance of it.

If you want Adidas, then there's the precision 88 on Amazon that falls into your range or just over it. This has been reviewed here.

7. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I had an Adidas Adizero pro and it wad a decent enough racket. Not amazing but felt similar to high end Yonex stuff.

I wouldn't bother getting it restrung straight away though, most rackets come factory strung at a pretty low tension anyway. Try the default and you can decide if you prefer it lower. You might find you want it higher if you're already used to playing squash.

8. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Mizuno still make great badminton racquets though they are not easily available. You can order it from Shuttle-house. I have a Tetracross 700 (discontinued) which has been nicknamed "Green monster". One of the 1st racquet I bought when I start playing badminton and after 6 years, it is still going strong despite clashes and flying out of my hand a few times.

9. antonr

antonr Regular Member

IT
    interesting, but they seem to be very scarce here in the UK and I found a few people referring to distributors not really pushing them outside japan and hong kong. can't see me being able to get hold of one. disappointing because they make brilliant rackets and they were definitely my favourite brand.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Rather than step out into the unknown, you mentioned you have tried many different racquets. Wouldn't it be a better choice to buy something you have tried?