Should Hong Kong & Macau play under separate entities?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Loh, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    :confused:

This may be a rather sensitive issue but since it has crossed my mind every now and then, I thought I should get the benefit of your views.

Politically, Hong Kong and Macau now form part of China. But I believe that in many areas these two countries operate as in the past when they were under British and Portuguese administration. And this includes badminton.

Hong Kong and Macau have their own national teams and play as separate entities in IBF tournaments. (I wonder whether they will be allowed to do so in the forthcoming Olympic Games in Athens?) The consequence of this is that Hong Kong and Macau players can continue to play for their respective entities without having to fight for a place in the China national team, although politically speaking, they are part of China. But their presence in world badminton as three separate entities may deprive other (weaker) badminton nations of a place, especially in team events like the TC, UB or the Sudirman Cup.

What do you think?

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Depends on how you see it, this topic may be too political ;)

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Hong Kong and Macau are special administratrive regions, P. R. China. THEY ARE NOT COUNTRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    That is very true, but there already are national teams in sports that HK and Macau already have - football for example. In these events, they are countries, and yet they are SARs. The HK team beat Malaysia in a friendly match last month in football.

Anybody in the field of international (sports) law?

I don't really think this is all that political, being that it being an interpretation of international and territorial law. The most political perhaps would be Taiwan and it's ongoing feud with China that is both historial and controversial.

-END- :)

#4 wilfredlgf, Mar 29, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think in sports, "entities" such as Hong Kong, Macau, England, Scotland, Wales, etc, including "Chinese Taipeh" are allowed to participate but not as countries. Their participation should also be sanctioned by the country of which they are part of, i.e. Chinese Taipeh, but not Taiwan, is allowed. I am not too sure if all sports allow such entities. But those sports or games that do allow "entities" would have to be sanctioned by the country of which they are part of, as recognized by the UN.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think Macau should play under different entity. Like Hong Kong.

7. viver

viver Regular Member

Macau is not a country and does not have national team(s). In fact never did. The select teams were designated Territorial representation team for ..., later Macau select team which I believe it still stands today.

As far as I know Macau is still trying to become a member of IOC organization. It had tried for a few years already but the decision has always been postponed by the committee. Wish them better luck next time. :)