Doubles Racket Victor Meteor X90 or Lining N7, N9??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by XZERO, Sep 14, 2014.

1. XZERO

XZERO Regular Member

Student
    Hello there!!

I was trying to gain some information trough the web and thankfully I found this place. And I've learned a lot seriously a lot from just reading everyone's post on purchasing rackets. But still I have one personal question and hope you guys can help me out.

First of all just to introduce myself a bit. I played tennis for about 8 years since my childhood but recently I kind of got interested in playing a new sport badminton and its been already a year since I've played with other people in my club. My wrist strength has become strong enough and I'm fine with using a 3U racket.

At the time, I didn't know what kind of racket or play style I was fit but someone who knew me well recommended the Yonex Arc Saber 7 which I have enjoyed ever since the first day I played with it. Problem was, that was my only racket so whenever the string got cut, I had to borrow from someone else.

Coming back to my question. I asked several of my friends at the upper level players what position I was better at and 9 out of 10 told me that I was better in the back court smashing and controlling the rally with drops and driving shots and it would be better for me to get a head heavy racket now, since my wrist strength is much stronger than when I first played a year ago.

I looked through several models that I was interested in before I posted. One of the things that I was looking for was that I wanted to try a new company since I've already used one Yonex racket. Some said that it may not be a good idea to change companies, but I'm willing to accept the challenge.

So!! what I need is a powerful racket that can smash effectively in a doubles match. I love to play a lot of defense so I don't really consider myself as just a smash type player but obviously most of the people that play with me see me as a backcourt player. I'm right now closer to the upper level and enjoy playing 3~5 times a week but I don't participate in tournaments or anything. Just for fun!! Current racket is of course the Arc Saber 7.

There are three rackets that I am particularly interested in

1. Victor Meteor X-90 or JJS (almost same racket?)
    2. Lining N7
    3. Lining N9

For the N7 and N9. I couldn't tell which one would fit better for me so it would be wonderful if someone could tell the difference. All I know is that N7 is for Cai Yun while the N9 is for Fu Haifeng. Logically since I'm better in the back the N9 would be the answer but I don't know..even though the use of my wrist is better, I don't think I completely shed my tennis habits and sometimes tend to use my shoulder more than my wrist so the N9 might not be a good selection? Someone said that due to my style of hitting the ball the N7 might be better since its a little bit similar to the Arc Saber 7.

Lastly, it would be great if I could know any Yonex rackets as well if you guys think that I should just stick to Yonex rackets since my Arc Saber 7 is my backup racket.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate any replies.

2. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    I haven't tried the Li Ning but the X90 is a great racket and it fit your playing style

3. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Those are pretty good choices but why didn't the VTZF2 and TK6000/TK9000 make it to your list ? Especially since you mentioned you are a back court player.

4. XZERO

XZERO Regular Member

Student
    Thanks teoky. Though I heard those two rackets were excellent I kind of had the impression that maybe. just maybe it might be a bit too(?) head heavy? I don't know. I haven't tried neither one but do you think its possible for me to try out those rackets especially if I'm considering X90 or N7,N9? For some reason I think of the VTZF2 and TK6000/TK9000 a bit heavier than the ones that I have considered. If not definitely the ones that you recommended should be in my radar. ^^

5. XZERO

XZERO Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the info. right now I think the x90 is probably in the lead but hope I can get some more info before I purchase it. Thanks again!

6. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    You should keep an open mind and try any racquets you think is suitable for you. Everyone has different preference so one man's meat is another man's poison. If you are predominantly at the rear/base, then a head heavy racquet won't be too much issue if you can wield it.

7. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    The best way to find a suitable racket is to test it out. If possible, try as many rackets as u can lay ur hands on.

However, as teoky mentioned above, the obvious head heavy rackets currently in the market are,
    frm Yonex:
    . VT 80
    . VT-ZF
    . VT-ZF2
    n frm Victor:
    . TK-6ooo
    . TK-9ooo

On the other hand, since u said u played well with ArcSaber7, u may want to check out ArcSaber11 which is slightly head heavy.

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

and tk-8000 is head heavy, and nanoray z-speed (don't bother with this one, though! :D)

9. XZERO

XZERO Regular Member

Student
    All right Thanks teoky. I guess I thought that VTZF2 was a racket for singles but definitely I'll consider it. Like you said, I'll keep an open mind and try any racquets possible before I purchase my racquet. Thanks again!

10. XZERO

XZERO Regular Member

Student
    Hello TeddyC. I may have not payed any attention to the Yonex racquets. But what I've read any of those that you have recommended seems to be excellent. I guess I'll have to test out some before my actual purchase. I know a person who has ArcSaber 11 maybe I'll try that one first! Thanks again!!

11. XZERO

XZERO Regular Member

Student
    Sure thing. I wasn't considering the TK series but since many are recommending maybe I should test it out. Heard it was great for smashing. Thanks!

12. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Own both TK-6ooo n TK-9ooo in 4u. They r indeed great for smashing. On top of that, both frames r surprisingly fast. The former has flexier shaft than the latter. If u could handle stiff racket, the 9ooo comes highly recommended.

13. XZERO

XZERO Regular Member

Student
    After doing some more research. Heard some really good stuff. There's so many great racquets haha. I think I can land a TK-6000 or 9000 in both 3U, 4U. Still can't decide on which racquet though. Probably will decide by design wise since I think I won't tell the difference that much. Though..the stiff one does make me wanna purchase it. Thanks for the info TeddyC. Appreciate it

14. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I think the racquets are designed for certain playing styles and some racquets are better for singles and some better for doubles but that doesn't preclude them from being used in other situation.

AT700, AT900, VT80, VTZF and VTZF2 have been used by singles and doubles players alike.

Preference also changes with time (and age). I used to like head heavy and stiff racquet but couldn't handle them anymore and now prefer mid stiff and even balance/slight head heavy bp racquet. I find that such combo generate good power for me and is also fast.

15. XZERO

XZERO Regular Member

Student
    Ok. I don't know why I always thought that there are singles and doubles racquets. Guess it was in my head the whole time. Right now I'm think the list comes down to this.

1. Yonex VT80, VTZF2 - Though as a singles racquets but guess I was wrong. Recommended by
    Teoky. Didn't need to read reviews since its famous
    2. Victor TK-6000, TK-9000 - Again like the Voltrics, thought as a singles racquets. Obviously great
    smash racquets recommended by Teddy C and read some great reviews
    3. Victor Meteor X90 - from my original list and was probably in the lead at the time. Still
    interested!

16. vile10

vile10 Regular Member

mx90 out of the three

17. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

IMHO

Basically, choosing a racket is very personal, and it always subject to personal considerations and feelings. Having read your consideration as quoted above, I always thought that doubles game require faster racket than singles. The exchange of strokes and the necessity to control the shuttle's direction are 2 salient factors for choosing a faster racket in doubles.

A head heavy racket would not suit your game play if you don't possess good muscle to handle it, and sufficient reflex to return to your ready-to-hit stance after swinging a stroke in doubles. On the other hand, you could feel that you don't deliver enough smash power with a head light racket and (for the people who dislike this type of racket) you'd also feel hollow for every stroke you deliver to the opponent. An even balance racket is kind of a jack-of-all-trades, however it lacks the advantage of head heavy or head light racket characteristics.

There are no fixed categorization to determine a racket as singles racket or doubles racket. Nevertheless, I would always opt for racket which has longer handle grip, because I could enjoy the benefit of using the upper half of the handle grip if I'm positioned at the front side, and the lower half if I'm positioned at the rear side, of the court.

Just sharing my 2 cents :D

18. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    I have all 3 of those rackets. N9 is user friendly compared to N7 but lacks precision due to the more flexible shaft. (Fu Haifeng's is stiffer and heavier due to being a players edition which the pros modify to their liking and if you buy is substantially more expensive). MX 90 is the easiest to use and most powerful of the 3. I actually hit harder with the N7 than the N9. N7 is really picky with your swing. You have to be very relaxed for best results. Hence why many prefer the N9 instead. MX JJS is very similar to MX90. That was my first Victor Racket. N99 is my first Li Ning (its a beast)

19. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Hi there, I am wary of recommending any stiff rackets based on what you said about your tennis habits.

I would recommend the n9 or n50-3. I think the n7 and zf2 may be too stiff for you.