String tension

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by stringazn, Sep 16, 2014.

1. stringazn

stringazn Regular Member

Recently I got my racket strung at 24lb and I did not get enough power from it, then later I tried my friend racket same racket like mine and same string bg 66 ultimax but his one is strung at 28lb and I was able to generate so much power from it. My question is aren't suppose to be the other way round since lower tension more power and high tension more control? but it seem that I have more power and control with 28lb, it is perhap my hand got stronger? Please let me know your suggestion thank you.

2. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Beginners should string low because the lower tension can help with their slower and learning form. As players get better with their form, swing, and speed, the lower tension that helped now holds them back. So, now higher tension is needed to match the improvement in their skill.

If you feel higher tension is better and it does not put you in a disadvantage when you are caught off guard in games, feel free to go higher as long as your racket can handle the higher tension, but I would suggest a couple lbs at a time and not a big jump.

Another point to consider is how old/long your 24lb strings are versus your friend's 28lb strings. Even with same tension, one year old strings will not play same as one week or one month old strings. Plus, if strings are strung by different stringers and/or on different machines, there can be wide differences as well.

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    As long as you don't string your own rackets you must trust your stringer. The results can differ alot. It starts with your request for a job. If you ask for 24lbs, you normally don't know what he do. 22X24, 23X25, 24X24 or 24X26 are most common. It also depends on the machine and stringer. Crank jobs don't feel as tight as ECP jobs et cetera.
    Some stringers has a conflict with themselve and string 1-2 lbs softer to prevent breakage because a few people can ruin your name because they blame the stringer for broken strings and not their mishit, bad technique and frequent playing.
    Their is nothing wrong with you. If your technique and upper body strength becomes better lower tensions will limit your abilities. Second if your swing becomes shorter and faster you will benefit from higher tension. So it's possible that you can hit harder with 28lbs than 24 lbs. I noticed the same effect a few years ago.

4. rgarteteach

rgarteteach New Member

Second if your swing becomes shorter and faster you will benefit from higher tension. So it's possible that you can hit harder with 28lbs than 24 lbs. I noticed the same effect a few years ago. [​IMG]