Ice Hockey

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Pecheur, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Hi all, question out of left field, but what's the biggest, and preferably the most even Ice Hockey game to be played this weekend?

Ideally NHL, basically has to be big enough that anyone that can spell Internet can find the results within 1 min of searching.

Thanks.

If you're interested as to why, we have a footy tipping comp at work with one different sport a week as a bonus point.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Yutaka Fukufuji, goalie for kings

first asian in NHL??

Attached Files:

4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Well, there's already been 2 Korean NHL players. One from the 80s and the most current one is Richard Park, who will be playing for the Vancouver Canucks next season. I guess you can say he's not representing Asian hockey as he was only born in Korea got his training in North American and plays on the American National Team.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

2010 WJC: USA stuns Canada; 6-5 in OT

[​IMG]

SASKATOON – John Carlson's goal at 4:31 of overtime lifted the United States to a thrilling 6-5 victory over Canada in the gold medal game of the 2010 IIHF World U20 Championship. It was the first U.S. gold since beating Canada in the 2004 tournament.

http://www.iihf.com/channels0910/wm...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=2956&cHash=e1aa245402

Story Highlights
    A younger, less talented U.S. squad withstood adversity, pressure on Canadian ice.
    Canada, without many top age-eligible snipers, was done in by defensive lapses.
    The key to the game was Canada's failure to promptly pull shaky goalie Jake Allen.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/allan_muir/01/06/world.juniors.react/index.html

Watching the bronze medal game right now. Pretty boring after Sweden blitzed the Swiss for 4 goals in 8 minutes near the end of the first making it 5-0 :p. Game ended 11-4 :cool: (8-1 right now for me). Doesn't help the swedish commentators aren't exactly excited either haha.
    Best commentator in a language you can't understand: Antero Mertaranta (FIN) :cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EwFlUtH63k

[​IMG]

#6 demolidor, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

8. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Was an awesome game! Was sad Canada lost but I think the US team earned the victory

9. druss

druss Regular Member

The Canadians were too cocky going in... you could see it in their attitude and comments. Although Canadian, I think this loss might be for the best. Confidence is good, arrogance is not and is NOT a good reflection on Canadians.

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

No there is a US born Korean before. Last name is Park (not a hard guess)

11. staples

staples Regular Member

Totally agreed! The Canadians though they had won the tournament before it started. Who can blame them for winning 5 straight for the second time? It got a little boring I must say and now it's all good.

This is also a wakeup call for Hockey Canada. Korea did win the Sudirman Cup in 2003 right? Canada's dominance in hockey is just about the same as China's in badminton.

12. staples

staples Regular Member

Actually it's Paek. Jim Paek. :)

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Now that I'm on U Tube anyway, 2003 Worlds Themesong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4osfbh7Q_g&feature=related (I have the exact same blue jersey). Can't wait for the Olympics :cool:. Anyone going? Hopefully will be going to the Worlds myself later on in Germany. The opening game is Germany vs USA in the Schalke FC 60,000 capacity football stadium but sold out already I believe months ago ...

#13 demolidor, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Gretzky's rookie card nabs record auction price

LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. (AP) -- The Great One is still setting records.

Wayne Gretzky's NHL rookie card earned $94,163 at an online sports memorabilia auction Sunday. SCP Auctions says that's the highest price ever paid for a hockey card.

While a Gretzky rookie card is easy enough to find on eBay, it is rare to find one free of small flaws or imperfections. The card sold Sunday was graded 10, or mint condition, by Professional Sports Authenticator.

SCP calls it "arguably the most valuable modern trading card in existence."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...etzky.rookie.card.ap/index.html#ixzz1LBy4jvKW

15. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Another tired statement...aren't you tired of the great one? I'm even tired of Mario L:);):D:rolleyes:. There's so many more talented Canadiens out there, what's the fuzz. Probably, every new guy should just make the imperative to unretire the numbers, 66 and 99:);):D:rolleyes:?

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Good thing I'm not in NA then ;). The only time I hear or read about hockey is when I go look for it :D. Although the Finnish newspapers (that I can "read" online) are full of it everyday ...

And truth be told I am far more interested in the international matches than any league ... time to start following the worlds then :). Sweden trashed the US of A I read in the results on tv, albeit in the group stage still. Germany beat Russia on the opening day I think ...

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Oh yeah! S-U-O-M-I!

[video=youtube;x7AxK5Fim5I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7AxK5Fim5I[/video]

Finland playing with only 5 NHL players on the roster (out of 25); Russia only 5 as well). One of the biggest European talents, Mikael Granlund scoring there (drafted 9th overall in 2010) [​IMG] (the new Koivu perhaps :cool:)

#17 demolidor, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[​IMG] And that makes 3! Finland 3, Sweden 1 @ 16:37 in the 3rd ...

These Swedish commentators get so excited I thought Sweden scored the last couple of times :p

From the tournament back in 1995 that made a fan of the game for good (back when I wasn't stuck watching a poor quality but reasonably smooth stream :D), Finland's first world title all the way down to tonight. #2 coming up [​IMG].

That will make it 3 out of 3 for the day ;)[​IMG].

#18 demolidor, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Tack storebror :p! :rolleyes: So it ended up 6-1 giving Finland it's 2nd ever worldtitle, far behind Sweden with 8 and all-time juggernut Russia with 25. For me Russia is alway my favourite of the big countries with Finland my pick of the outsiders. Other than that Europe > NA :p. So as part of the spread-the-wealth program ;), good to see Finland take the gold again.

Attached Files:

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Now this is funny: Finland vs Sweden on Finnish tv on the Swedish language channel :p

[video=youtube;zcUxXvLyOkI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcUxXvLyOkI[/video]