23lb-25lb String Tension for Power

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by daniele1234, Sep 18, 2014.

1. daniele1234

daniele1234 Regular Member

Hi

First of all, i am new to this site so i apologise for any errors. Anyway, i wanted to ask, what is the best string tension for maximum power for smashes, jump smashes, drives. etc. but which will also have quite good control. I am also using bg66 ultimax strings. Remember maximum power is the most important thing.

Thanks

Daniele

:)

2. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I would ask first, what tension are you playing at currently, your skill level and how many years have you played, feather or plastic?

3. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    String tension mainly depends on the hands wielding the racket. It varies frm one individual to another.

Ime, there is such thing called optimal string tension where string tension yields the most power n at the same time the most control for that player. At this point of equilibrium, adjusting the tension by 1 lb will raise one factor n reduce the other. U really nd to test it out urself n discover ur optimal tension.

Having said that, one has to understand the following two variables. First, different types of racket (main factors: balance point n shaft stiffness) will affect this optimal tension by 1-3 lbs.

Second, as u advanced further to higher levels n/or build up more upper body strength, the optimal tension will most likely increase due to increase in ur physical power n dexterity.

Another point to add, as mater mentioned, it also depends on whether u r playing with feather or plastic birdie.

#3 TeddyC, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  4. daniele1234

sorry for not saying, i play with feathers and i am an intermediate-advanced player

5. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

I was wondering how long can the string last if I never touch it? will the tension hold 24lb forever?

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Unfortunately, there's no best and, even more unfortunately, there's no best for String X; there's a best for String X, for Player Y, and the only way to nail it down is to experiment.

However, you've said you're locked onto 66UM and use plastics, so 23 or 24 is a good starting point, but it's worth going either side as well if you can afford to:).

7. visor

visor Regular Member

For bg66um for feathers, start at 25 lbs and work up gradually.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Haven't you experimented with different tensions? You might get more power but a worse trade off against other areas of your game.

What's your tension now?

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Try and let us know. Thanks;)

10. daniele1234

my string tension now is 23lb

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I see you are located in London and I guess you are around county second standard given a intermediate to advanced level.

I reckon you can try 26lbs quite easily with the caveat that the sweet spot is smaller. Thus, the racquet will not be as powerful if you don't quite get the stroke quite right.

12. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Agree with Visor... BG66 UM is a great feeling string and at 25 lbs is a good starting point and may provide some longevity in string life.

There is no "ideal tension" for everyone...we are all different. Even in my own experience, 29-30 lbs was ideal for me 10 years ago when I was playing at a high level, but after a 10 year break, automatically restrung my rackets to the same tension and realised that I no longer could get the power out of the racket now that I'm an old man...LOL. If nothing else, I suspect it has more to do with the fact that the sweet spot is much smaller at high tensions thus if not hitting it as cleanly as I used to will give the perception that there is less power. I have since settled on 24 lbs after dropping tension by 2 pound each time......feels perfectly fine

This simply goes to show that even for the same person, there is no fixed tension that is ideal....