Wong Choong Hann

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Bbn, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

From Star 30/3/4

Attached Files:

• Wong.JPG
      Wong.JPG
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
  2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    So since he is having his own website... most likely he will drop by Badminton Central. :)

3. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    I think WCH and XXZ are two of the coolest badminton players out there ^^

Just so happens they met in WC2003 too :p

4. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    It is very please to see WCH smile (In the picture) ;)
    You can't find this smile when you watch him in action.
    He is very concentrate and focus when he plays, never smile even the 'funny' thing came out.
    Cold face, just like want to show his opponent : "I gonna beat you". :mad:

On the contrary, Peter Gade always give you smiles, just like to tell : "Come on, I don't wanna hurt you" :)

5. WoAiZhongGuo

WoAiZhongGuo Regular Member

Once a Chinese, always a Chinese..... live in Engl
    I totally agree. i met them there too. Saw WCH again at All England again. but XXZ wasn't there because he was defeated quite quickly.

6. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    well yea...WCH seldom smile on court...cause he took the game seriously :p :p
    and it's not that hard to see him smile...when he's off court... he smile alot... :D
    only once i saw him not serious in game :p that's during the elite challenge in bukit kiara... last year...
    well he's serious during the game...but when i went to watch him play (during the rubber set)... he saw me... he looked like shock to see me (again) :p :D :p
    he dosen't know who am i though.... but reconise me ... :p
    never mind.... he won't reconise me anymore :D :cool:

#6 spectra, Mar 31, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    why's that?????

8. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    cause i just cut my hair... and it's quite short....
    my friend can't even reconise me... just imagine him :D

9. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    OK :D
    you never know, he might recognize you even so... :)

10. WoAiZhongGuo

huh? lol. Wong Choong Hann is very fit, he does smile off court a lot but not on court. his hair looks short on the newspaper.

Do you live where he lives? in Malaysia i mean.

11. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    do you mean do i know where he live or ??????
    :confused:

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Exactly, I never see him smile on the court.
    It's more like "I am gonna kill you" than "I am gonna beat you" :D:D....his smash talks

By the way, it's good for him to have a site, as I know, he has lots of fans worldwide, even in TW! :)

13. WoAiZhongGuo

hm... its been a while. So i'm wondering. Does anyone know if Wong Choong Hann's set up a website for himself yet? By the way, all these rumours about him quitting... they aren't true right?! :confused:

14. cyling

cyling Regular Member

Wong live at Sri Petaling. He stay with parent. I got this information at internet and newspaper. ( long long ago):)

15. WoAiZhongGuo

Thanks! Wonder where he lives now... *dream...*

16. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student

as wat i read from the newspaper... he'll stay til 2006 ...most probably....

17. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    holy cow dudes. check this out

BADMINTON: Choong Hann slams support system
    K. M. Boopathy & S. Selvam
    New Strait Times

September 6:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THERE was much more that he and his coaches could have done in preparing for the Olympics, but even as top national singles player Wong Choong Hann reviews what went wrong in Athens, he feels that Malaysia already have two quality players to fall back on for Beijing 2008.
    While Choong Hann believes Malaysia Open champion Lee Chong Wei and former All England champion Hafiz Hashim are the future of Malaysian badminton, it is the poor utilisation of the much vaunted support system for national athletes that leaves much to be desired.

Supervised weight training only started three months before and even that was a general programme prepared by National Sports Council's conditioning department.

A training programme that was long on endurance but short on speed work, and lack of masseurs during training and competitions were also major problems. Even meals are a sore point as there is no proper supervision on the nutritional value, not what one would expect for elite athletes.

"We (Malaysia) have a very good sports structure in place but sadly, it is the implementation of the system that needs to be improved," said Choong Hann, after meeting the two-man committee tasked to conduct a post-mortem on Malaysia's poor showing in Athens.

"For instance, it took at least one month from the time it was diagnosed for my injured wrist to be operated on.

"But this is not the case with athletes from other countries as they would have recovered and are back in training by then. Ronald (Susilo of Singapore) has a full-time masseur following him for all competitions.

"We have also requested for a masseur to be attached to the team but this is only done for selected competitions.

"As such, we spend considerable time travelling from Bukit Kiara to Bukit Jalil and back to get treated. So much time is wasted on the road when we should be resting.

"If the masseur is attached to the team, the treatment can be done immediately after training." Choong Hann also said that the emphasis in training was on endurance and quantity, rather than quality.

"All our physical fitness sessions were on long distance running. When a request is made for sprints, it is done after the long distance runs.

"But this is difficult to do because you need to be fresh when doing sprints. Sprinting sessions are about quality work as they are of high intensity." Despite all this, and the failure in Athens, Choong Hann is not ready to quit the sport.

He, however, acknowledged it will become increasingly difficult to remain at the top of his game as he will be 31 when the Beijing Olympics are held in 2008.

"If I have to be around until the Beijing Games just to make up the numbers, I should not even be playing. Chong Wei and Hafiz are the future," said Choong Hann. "I am not about to retire yet but it will be a challenge to maintain my performance at the highest level until 2008. "It is different for Chong Wei and Hafiz as they are just 22 and immensely talented. If they can gear themselves for the Olympics from now, they can do well in Bejing. "The 2006 Asian Games in Doha will give me a clear indication of where I stand and I can decide then if I am good enough for another Olympic outing." Based on the current squad, Hafiz and Chong Wei hold the key to Malaysia's success in Beijing but it is only likely to happen if the BA of Malaysia (BAM) begin a comprehensive Olympic programme with the special squad for the 2008 campaign. As long the players keep thinking that the Olympics are just like any other grand event, they are unlikely to gain any ground in Beijing. Choong Hann said that the preparation heading towards the Olympics was the same like for other major events, except for the intensity, and he just could not match Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat when it mattered. "My performance prior to the Olympics was not convincing and Taufik was stronger at crucial stages while I could not hold on.

"I realise that I need to do something different when it comes to competing in the toughest events. "Probably, Chong Wei and Hafiz can benefit from a comprehensive programme where the 2008 Games are concerned." Based on the last two Games, the men's singles competition could be dominated by players below the age of 25 but veterans cannot be counted out totally. Poul Erik Hoyer Larsen of Denmark was 32 when he won in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, while Indonesian Hendrawan was 29 when he clinched silver in Sydney four years ago. However, if BAM are ready to revamp and begin their 2008 Olympic quest with a special project squad, not only Chong Wei and Hafiz will be in with a chance but veterans like Choong Hann can get another shot. However, if BAM fail to address the current slump and make drastic changes, even the top-class quality of Chong Wei and Hafiz will not be able to save Malaysia from another debacle in Beijing

18. WoAiZhongGuo

Wow! Thank you so much! Well, what can i say? i'm extremely glad and relieved that he's not leaving. I feel very sorry for him, after all, he trained so hard for the Olympics and he so wanted that medal. Oh well, i guess all we can do is to wish him better luck next time!!

19. dyton

dyton New Member

good comment

hello, I'm newbie here.

Well, I was so shock WCH got a lot of fan...

MALAYSIA BOLEH!
    -goforgold-;)

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    all valid and unprejudice reasons given by WCH.
    it amazing what does one learn when opinions are expressed from bottom up rather than top down. Sounds like quite mickey training routines in olympic standards

#20 cooler, Sep 14, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2004