Anyone playing in the Bangor Open?

Discussion in 'UK' started by woop., Mar 31, 2004.

1. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Zimbie72 and I are entering this. It's one of the Welsh Senior Series tournaments and I was wondering if anyone else was playing in it, or had experience of what the standard was like. It's our first tournament of this type.

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    nope, but do tell us how you do, and watch the structure is like:)

good luck

3. jasper

jasper New Member

Bangor open

I happened to be watching the Ceridigion open in Aberystwith a few weeks ago, it was one of the WSS tournaments. Early rounds were played in group format with I think 4 or 5 people to a group(so you should get a few games), after group stage it was pure knockout. Standard was mixed, with a couple of former world ranked players there at the top end as well as a couple of junior players there for experience at the bottom end (that was nasty, I didn't mean to be disrespectful) they did well,winning some but mostly lossing. Organisation was a little ......disorganised but I believe this senior series is new and the people putting them together are still finding their feet. On the whole the people were friendly and the atmosphere was good with on or two hard fought matches. Players to watch for : Tovey, Strange, Cotterill (former ranked player).

I think you will enjoy your day whatever the outcome.

4. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Thanks for that, very helpful indeed. Sounds like me might be in for a tough time though!!

We'll let you know how it goes.

5. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    Bangor Open

You should have a good time.

The Welsh Senior Series is a new series organised through the Welsh Badminton Union (WBU).

The level of play is mixed so for a local league player such as myself, I might win one, have a good game in another one or two and get beaten easily in the fourth one. Or around that ...

Some say it is a 'D' grade circuit, which sits underneath the English Satellite series.

It has been well supported, with some but not all having umpires/referees on the day. I personally love them because it caters for both the club player and county player. It offers something more than playing every Thursday at club night.

I organised the first event of this series back in November (on courts in the centre of a cycling velodrome).... so if you do enjoy it make sure you check out the details of the events which will take place next season.

Sean

6. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Really looking forward to it. I saw on the BAofE site they were talking about a 'D' grade circuit. Something more officially backed would surely be welcome, as there must be a great many players who would like to enter that level of tournament, knowing that stepping up to the satellite (grade C) level is more than likely just going to end up in a string of first round defeats.

Rest assured that Zimbie and I will be looking for a lot more tournament entries next season, and I'm sure some will be in Wales. :)

7. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    Welsh Senior Series

FYI. The next round of the WSS (after Bangor Open) is a week after out at Llanelli.

I am glad that you will be looking to go in some of the Welsh tournaments next year.

The best thing about the WSS is that the first round is made up of Groups and not Knock-Out. So you get a lot more value for money.

Sean

8. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I seem to have problems getting onto the Welsh Badminton Union site. It seems to have been down quite a lot recently. That is where I found the tournament information and entry forms. Zimbie and I might enter the Llanelli one, but unless we can get on the site to get the forms we are stuck!!!

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Woop, I think it has been down ever since the firein the central BT hub in Manchester about 3 weeks ago.

Sean is it based along the same kind of lines as the "Bonanza's" in Scotland?

The first round is in fact a group with at least 4 people in it so you are going to get at least 3 games and then the progression is knock out.

There are two set up's one is Social for club players who would play in sports centres and informal clubs and the second is League/Tournament which is meant for the more experienced player.

Generally they are held all over Scotland in various locations and are a good day out for people who would not generally enter the normal tournaments for fear of getting so badly beaten they would never want to pick up a racket again.

How often are they held? It would be good to get a few of the Scottish members together to come and take part in one.

10. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    Welsh Senior Series

Woop.

The WBU website is up and running. If you are using your favourites section to go to the website you probably need to Press Control/F5 to force the page to refresh.

The information is under the events section > WSS section.

I have attached the entry form to this message.

Dill - It is not quite the set-up of the Bonanza tournaments. It just has the competitive section. The ones I have been in the 1st round you get 3-5 games in before it goes to knock-out.

You can win some stuff as well - for instance in the Mid-Glamorgan tournament - there was a raffle where I won an Yonex AT-500 and my wife won 2 training sessions with GB Singles No.1 Richard Vaughan.

Unfortunately my wife is injured so I guess I better attend the training sessions ......... :)

With the Bangor Open - you won't get as many of the South Wales players go but in turn you will get a good turn out from the regions up there. The Llanelli one should be good - with both players from local Swansea clubs turning up along with the us locals from Cardiff and of course the higher level players.

Sean

11. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    Forgot the entry form ...

Llanelli Entry form

Attached Files:

12. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Still finding the WBU site to be down whenever I try it.

Have had no confirmation regarding this weekends tournie. Should I expect a confirmation of our entry? Bangor is a hell of a long way for us to go if we are going to find out we are not expected.

13. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    WBU Website

Some of the tournaments confirmed an entry however the majority have not.

Try this.

http://www.welshbadminton.net/website/index2.htm

Also for the Bangor Open the details are as follows:

Tournament Referee:
    Mr Rod Chambers Tel 01492532047

I am sure Rod will be able to confirm your entry or at least advise you of the phone number for the tournament organiser.

Sean

14. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Cheers, that link worked. And I phoned and got confirmation of our entry. I needed to be certain as Zimbie and I live in and near Milton Keynes, which means we have quite a journey to get to Bangor.

I know, we're very keen!