Is my grip acceptable?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by opikbidin, Sep 22, 2014.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    This is the grip I've recently used. I mainly use 3 grips in a match, with occasionally doing the thumb grip if necessary. The 3 grips I mainly use are panhandle, bevel and...a grip that I don't know what kind of grip it is. I'll call it a "side" grip, for now

This is the "side grip"
    my grip back.jpg
    my grip front.jpg

Am I wrong if I continue using this grip?

as you all can see, this grip is very similar to the panhandle grip, but there are some key features I notice:
    (for more about finger anatomy, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger , I iuse wiki, because I don't know how to explain it without using those terms)

1. The handle tip is nearer to the pinky finger. it isn't placed at the middle of my hand base (near the wrist) like the panhandle

2. The thumb is placed on the side bevel. on the other side, the joint between the proximal and intermediate phalange of the index finger is placed. the position of the proximal and intermediate phalange joint of the index finger is the same as the distal and proximal joint of the thumb.

3. The index and middle distal phalange are placed at the front bevel, while the metacarpals are on the rear bevel.

4. the pinky and the ring finger are used to hold the racket (nothing unusual, just something I pick from Zhao Jian hua videos)

5. unlike the panhandle grip, this "side" grip allows arm rotation to hit the shuttle. although the wrist rotation is minimal. but arm rotation has a bigger impact for me, so it's okay

6. I feel more natural using this "side" grip compared to the basic or bevel grip as I don't need to turn my body or adjust the handle position to do any shots.

obviously there are some down sides as my smash needs some tweaking because the same action of smash using this "side" grip is a little different. but my clears are better and I can deal shuttle that have already traveled behind my body better.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

That looks bizarre!

Surely moving thumb closer to fingers would add control.

If this is your main grip for overheads, then I would say this is incorrect and there are better options.

I'm deducing that if this seems to work for you, it's because your elbow is too low. Much too low.

Then you're playing all the shots wrong...

#2 amleto, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    actually the control is good, all the main bevels are pressed.

What are the better options?

no, my elbow is often quite high. I love to play stick smashes and drops, so I just reach the highest point and hit the shuttle just with my arm rotation (no wrist and arm swing)

That's what i want to know, why?

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    That does look quite unconventional and awkward and may cause you problems as you get better and play better players. Better to have your thumb at a more relaxed, hand shake position rather than inline with the shaft.

Would I be correct in assuming you are a beginner?

I would suggest you look through the forum on guidance on this as this is perhaps one of the most important things to get right first.

There are also youtube videos that teaches the different basic grips.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

better options: basic grip, and 'adjusted' basic grip.

Why are you playing the shots wrong? because you're not adjusting your body or your grip...

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I can't give expert advice on technique (because I am certainly no expert) BUT I do have one concern:

If you are hitting clears and 'stick smashes' with that grip, then you must be making contact quite a ways to the right of your body. (That's the only way the racket face would be facing forwards). That motion can put a lot of strain on the rotator cuff muscles. This is a guess, since I cant' see your swinging motion. Do you ever get pain in your shoulder?

7. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    No, I'm not a beginner, I've been playing for 3 years in the right way. and I also have studied youtube videos on grips, mainly Jimmy lin and LJB with guides from Badmintonbible too. My level is intermediate

I have already played by using the basic grip, at least since 3 years ago since i tried to play the correct badminton way.

my problem with the basic or bevel is :
    1. they often slip from my hand
    I don't know why, they just seem to slip from the side that has no finger on it

2. the preparation for overhead shots are long compared to my "side" grip and often the shots are rushed

FYI, I also often play the service, either backhand or forehand, either long or short with this "side" grip. A unique thing I experienced is I usually play better straight short services at the receiver at the right side, because this grips allow for longer reach onto my left side and I am facing straight to the front so I'm better prepared to take any shots that come short to the front area.

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    nope.

Just imagine you make an "okay sign", a thumbs up. now straighten your arm at the side of your body, with your hand doing an "okay sign" touching your thigh and move it up in a circular motion and keep it at your side till your humerus-upper arm touches your head.

then imagine you place a racket in the hole that the index, middle, ring and pinky finger creates when doing an "okay sign". That's my range to do my shots with this grip with a straightened arm.

and no, I don't even use rotator cuff muscle. I just reach high and rotate my arm.

For an illustration on how i do a shot, Just do this: do an "okay sign" with a straighten arm, place it so your neck and arm is approximately 45 degrees. and I mean, you really straighten your arm, lock it. Now, rotate your arm so the thumb of the "okay sign" points to the back, then rotate it so the thumb points downwards. that's 270 degrees of rotation, more than the wrist that is approximately 180 degrees.

now imagine placing a racket in the hole the index, middle, ring and pinky finger creates when doing an "okay sign", and that is my rotation range and usual place to do clears and smashes.

so no, I dont feel to much pain, besides, I usually only use 90 degrees. that means the the thumb pointing 45 degree up-back than pointing 45 degree at the front-up.

9. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Here are some pictures to clarify, remember this is a "side" grip, not a panhandle one.

1. My Panhandle grip
    panhande front.jpg
    panhande rear..jpg

2. The "okay sign"
    okay sign.jpg

3. My side grip
    side grip.jpg
    side grip rear.jpg

4. Doing a hand twist 45 degree using a side grip
    side grip 45 front.jpg
    side grip 45.jpg

5. Twisting the arm 270 degrees using the side grip
    pointing down
    point down.jpg
    till pointing to the back
    point rear.jpg

can at least someone try to use this grip? This grip mainly uses arm rotation as the source of its power, not the wrist or the arm swing.

10. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    it's impossible to use arm rotation as the source of hitting power if I use the panhandle grip.

11. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

I see this grip as a variation of pan handle grip. Are you playing most of your shots straight under pressure? Panhandle grip trends to play straight shots in these suitation imo.
    Iirc, ZJH taught this grip only for backhand with shuttercock behind you, so that you can play a straight clear or drop with better control.
    Imo, you are turning your body or pronating your forearm to compensate this grip.
    My 2 cts

12. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    actually I wish I can play more straight shots with this grip. I'm struggling to play straight shots, my shots has a tendency to lean towards the side, either left or right. I only mastered to play really straight shots when I serve and when my arm is at the side so my neck and arm have approximately 90 degrees.

I really struggle on overhead shots, they rarely if never come straight.

13. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

Possible that you are using this grip only when the shutter is more to your forehand side and not above your head?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

If you're using this grip for forehands, it is indeed very strange as the thumb could be better used placed closer conventionally to the index finger. No wonder your racket us coming out of your hand. :eek:

Even though Fidget says this is a resourceful forum, this grip problem of yours will priobably require some time with a coach to fix. No discussion here will convince you how to rectify your problem.

15. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I can use this grip for positions as much as i can use the basic grip, that means it's okay for above my head. It's also better for my backhand side because even my upper backhand side is attacked, this grip allows a longer reach so I can still do a forehand overhead hit and hit it straight or a very bent cross court.

16. amleto

amleto Regular Member

this shows you have no control, despite you declaring otherwise.

17. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Thanks for the pictures. That makes your motion clearer than a written description.
    It looks like a grip one might use for an around the head shot.
    Glad that your shoulder doesn't hurt. Mine would, using that motion.
    At any rate, it looks like you have a strong forearm. :)

Perhaps the biggest trouble with your grip is not anything that we picky purists on the internet say, but your own words. You describe having trouble with returning certain shots and how the bird doesn't go straight where you want it to.

The best advice is that of visor: Have a coach give some advice. Then you can compare your way and their way and see what works best for you. :)

18. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I'm still new to this grip. and still learning.

However, I think the main problem why it rarely comes out straight is because the nature of the movement of the racket. and I don;t mean it really shoots cross court when I want to hit it straight, but it just leans towards right or left.

with the basic or bevel grip, I smash with a straight path, my racket head moving from the abck to the front in a straight path. This is different from the side grip. Remember the side grip means there is always an angle, from 90-45 degrees of the racket and the lowe arm. That means the smashing action doesn follow a straight path, but a leaning towards the left, like this \. because the path is like \, no wonder the direction is going a bit to the side. it's different with basic and bevel grips that has a straight path like I.

But I think I can overcome this. Just like how I initially can't play straight shots if I hit the shuttles on my sides, either left or right using the basic grip.

19. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

Seems like you don't pronate your forearm when you smash with this grip. That's what Panhandle does.
    Do you use wrist and finger power with this grip? How are all your soft touches at the net with this grip?

20. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Supination and pronation of the forearm is the main source of power for hitting with this grip. That's what I do.

not quite sure about the finger power, but the wrist power is minimal. still using it, but not quite important.

if it's netting, I rarely play netshots as there is the front player waiting to pounce (well that's the situation I usually find myself in), I usually just push it to the side-midcourt area. and the side grip works fine, and maybe even better because I don't need to change my grip to a thumb grip.

maybe you should try this grip yourself, I find my defense is better and my range of shot selection is wider. I can also take more opponent shots comfortably .

Just hold the racket like in the picture, with the handle mainly in the 4 fingers with the thumb at the side bevel, then try hitting mainly with your forearm rotation.

#20 opikbidin, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014