Moving Before the Serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kenny, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    okay, i am having a problem, is it illegal for the opponent to move/jump forward before you serve? I was playing a neighbouring school today in doubles and right before i served, the opponent would kind of jump RIGHT before i hit it and smash it right down at me before i could think of making a flick. Is this illegal?

2. edward

edward Regular Member

It's illegal to have any portion of either foot come off the ground after the servers racket head moves forward and before the racket strikes the shuttle.
    Be careful tho, I know some people kind of coil down as I start my swing, but they never leave the ground. This gives them a very good jump after I make contact with the shuttle and it seems like they are moving *too* fast.

3. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Ah right. That sets me straight because I was slightly unsure of this. So it IS legal to move, as long as the movement is not your feet leaving the ground.

4. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Plus your feet must be stationary, ie/ you cannot shuffle your feet on the ground

Cheers!

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Ah, two feet on the ground?
    I have to tell my friends about it....since I know someone often have one foot in the air while doing the serve.

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Yes it is illegal and bad sportmanship. I once conceded a match game at 16-16 when the opponents were serving because I moved just slightly too quick and killed the shuttle. Even though they were prepared to let it go I think it is really bad sportsmanship. :)

7. bodminton

bodminton Regular Member

Assistant Language Teacher - English
    Bringing this post back from the dead... but...

I was reading the rules, how the service begins, when the servers starts moving his racket. Does this mean that the receiver can move as soon as the service is started?

I was cautioned a few times when moving forward "too early", but I'm sure I only start moving when the server starts moving his racket... Is this ok?

8. visor

visor Regular Member

You cannot move your feet until the server's racket hits the bird.

That is the main gist of it.

9. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

No, the service starts on the first forward motion of the server's racket, but the receiver may only move when the shuttle has been delivered:

10. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    bump bump. :)
    For quite some time now, I have been telling my playmate that it's illegal to remove some part of the feet off the ground if the shuttle hasn't been struck; however, as I have always been observing his receiving tactics, I guess he never listened.

Thus, last Saturday, while playing with him as his opponent (this is MD), I had to do something about it. The first time he violated the rule, I let it go, although I made a nonchalant remark that it was illegal. But during his second violation (he was the receiver, my partner was the server), I deliberately did not hit the shuttle - although I knew I could - but instead just caught it and informed him during play of his violation. I asked for a let and they respectully obliged. My question is, "After what I did, did I appear arrogant?"

11. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ those players are the funnest to outmaneuver :p

all you as a server has to do is to pretend to go thru your short serve preparation, but secretly keep an eye for any preemptive movement from him, then you delay your contact point just a tad as you serve and the instant you sense him move, you flick serve it :D

do that a few times and he'll never preempt you again :D

12. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    hi visor. thanks for the input. however, i wasn't the server. it was my partner. i was standing at the back.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

in any case, when it's your turn to serve, you can try it on him

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    yes, i agree with what you said. these kinds of receivers are easy to flick serve with :)

15. bodminton

bodminton Regular Member

Assistant Language Teacher - English
    Ok, I have a question regarding this flick serve. Is it ok to swing your arm, then not hit the birdy for half a second or so, then flick the serve?

16. visor

visor Regular Member

As long as none of the laws are broken (ie. one smooth movement, struck below waist, racket aimed down), there is nothing against it.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Not quite. Here's what the rule actually says:

This means you can, for example, bring your heel off the ground while keeping your toes static. You can shift your weight about. But you cannot lift or drag a foot.

That used to be true, but the laws changed. Now the server is not allowed to pause during the backswing:

18. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

What if you don't have a backward swing?
    I don't put my racquet in front with the shuttle, then swing back and forward to strike.
    I only have a forward motion after I set the shuttle (you can see it in my video).

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you cannot swing forward and then stop. the whole service must be a smooth continuous forward movement.

however, you can swing backwards, pause, and then start the smooth forward swing.

20. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Ok just checking. I figured double pumping is not legal but wanted to clarify about the back swing. So can you line up shuttle with racquet touching shuttle, bring racquet back, hold it for a split second, then swing?