Smash Speed For WS or WD?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ezish, Oct 2, 2014.

1. ezish

ezish Regular Member

Yesterday this came to my mind. I went through past tournament videos (2011 WC, 2013 WC and 2014 WC, 2014 All England), what I noticed they don't show the smash speed. Unless I missed it. However, for MD and MS it's there. Once in a while they will show it after a rally. Am I missing something? I am just curious. My guess a good WS/WD would smash around 200 km/h.

Is it because they smash so slow and the speed camera only records something over 200 km/h? that doesn't even make any sense.

PS: I know smash speed/power doesn't mean how great is there skill. Badminton is a lot more then smash and power. So, please try to stay on topic. We all know this. I am asking this for pure curiosity.

2. Kmwong93

Kmwong93 Regular Member

Maybe around 210?200 is a good gage imo

3. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    I believe it's a bit faster: 220 - 230. Wang Xiaoli and Kamilla Rytter-Juhl are definitely the hardhitters, but I've seen some other Chinese ladies (e.g. Tang Jinhua) reaching speeds of 220km/h easily.

4. Kmwong93

Kmwong93 Regular Member

Hmm I agree. I believe Carolina Marlin (not sure of spelling) is coming up fast too.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i think Xu Chen is around 270 to 290 km/hr....

6. Kmwong93

Kmwong93 Regular Member

Haha xu Chen male leh

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    How come everybody know about the exact speed.. Did they show the speed on the screen once the shuttle was hit?? .. I wonder..

8. p997tt

p997tt Regular Member

I found this picture a while back.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      13.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Surprised to see Ma Jin up there!

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Ma J's smash is faster than Wang Xin? no way!!!

11. shaker

shaker Regular Member

teacher
    Okay, so for any of you who watched the India Superseries videos from BadmintonWorldTV, check out the matches between Carolina Marin vs Ratchanok Intanon, and the match with Ratchanok and Saina Nehwal.

The smash speeds are being listed as high as 310km/hr. That makes her smash faster than Jung Jae Sung and Ko Sung Hyun.....

And I'm just watching the quarter final between Biao/Wei and Hashimoto/Hirata right now. In the first set, score at 8-6, smash speed (I think for Biao) is listed as 366km/h. Much faster than Fu's 332.

While I know it's possible, to have records broken, I don't think it's possible that Intanon, Nehwal and Marin have faster smashes than JJS.

So what's going on? Obviously they must be using a new method of speed clocking. Did anyone hear anything about this? Is this already being discussed in another thread? And if they are measutring in a new way, hy is there such a discrepancy between these values and the old values?

12. shaker

shaker Regular Member

teacher
    Just found the answer to my question:
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=94009

13. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Interesting but i'd question the accuracy of the results. Either Hawkeye's made a mistake here, or the previous method for tracking speeds was well off. Something doesn't add up because there's no way speeds have increased that much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayaka Takahashi, Tian Qing and Tang Yuanting are 3 other big hitters in WD.

14. esppy

esppy Regular Member

youtu.be-laEAkecC80k.jpg

One of Yoo's smashes, and Ahsan clocked in at 389 kph in his SF against Boe/Mogensen.

Saina clocked 366kph against Li Xuerui, IIRC.

15. shaker

shaker Regular Member

teacher
    Possible explanations:

Old system was flawed.
    New system is flawed.
    Old system calculated average speed of the shuttle over the full flight from racket to ground.
    New system calculates on highest speed the shuttle attained.

I think it must be the last, and probably in an effort to draw more interest in the sport. Still, I wish they would publish a full explanation.

I also noticed how little Gill Clark commented on the new speeds. Usually she makes a bigger deal out of it. I don't think she's sure of what to make of it, either.

16. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I've noticed it as well at the IO. Very strange to see smash speeds reaching over the 300km/h during ladies singles. I don't know what to make of it either.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The shuttle slows down very rapidly after leaving the racket (because it has such high drag). The peak speed occurs immediately after impact and is much higher than the average speed.

If you measure the shuttle speed 0.05 seconds after leaving the racket, it will be much faster than 0.1 seconds after leaving the racket.

As a result, the better the measuring technology, the faster the measurements. Up to a point.

18. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Forget the new fandangled technology and go back to this. Never let me down at school

1cc.PNG

19. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    rofl...........

20. shaker

shaker Regular Member

teacher
    Yes, we all realize that drag slows the shuttle down. As has been mentioned time and time again, it's what makes badminton unique.

What is in question at this point is HOW they are choosing to calculate the speed. After reading the article again, the Hawkeye system is measuring velocity at or slightly after point of impact. There is no explanation of how the old system worked. This would have given us insight into why there are such massive discrepancies in speeds from games of just one year ago to recent games.

But is measuring at the point of impact a valid way of determining shuttle speed?

With the Hawkeye technology in place, I think a better way to accurately represent the shuttle speed would be to break a shot down into three catagories.

-Speed at point of initial impact
    -Averaged speed from point of impact to the point of interception
    -Speed of shuttle at the moment of interception

At any rate, the original poster is right. You didn't see too many posts of women's smash speed during matches. It always bothered me as well. But it seems that in this most recent system, women's smash speed are being shown just as regularly as men's. That's great!