Which kind of smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by longtimeuser, Apr 3, 2004.

1. longtimeuser

longtimeuser Regular Member

Uni student
    Which kind of smash gives you the most satisfaction when you perform it perfectly?

1) A thunderous one shot kill smash which pierce through opponent's defense.

2) A well-placed but moderate strength smash which aims at opponent's defense weakness.

3) A series of smashes which attempts to break the opponent's defense.

I would prefer the first one. It kinda makes me feel superior over my opponents. But normally I ended up doing the third one cause my smash is not hard enough. :D :D :D

2. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    A well-placed power smash from the back by my partner which sets up a mid- to fore-court kill by me. :)

Phil

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Smashes :eek:

Has to be the second one because it takes more skill to aim a smash properly and get it on target, anyone can hit a "big wallop" which is too quick for the opponent to get back.

4. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

me i like to smash to get their defense down then i will do a thunderous smash to finish off :)

5. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    At higher levels of badminton, the defence tends to be so good that smashes generally are returned very consistently, and blocks tend to be well placed; so, in these circumstances it is unlikely that you would win a point outright with killer smashes as you might expect at a more recreational level.

The best you can hope for is that by varying the smash, and hitting a hard but controlled smash to parts of the court just out of the opponent's immediate reach, the opponent will be caught off-balance and play a weak return (or even mishit/miss it completely), providing you with an opportunity such as a net-kill. I noticed this particularly during the mixed doubles fnal at the All England 2004, in which Kim Dong-Moon could often be seen hitting six or seven hard smashes consecutively without breaking down the defence of Kim Yong-Hyun & Lee Hyo-Jung.

While it is unlikely that the majority of your opponents (and the majority of players below international standard), "longtimeuser", will have such a developed defence, it is also unlikely that you will be able to smash as hard and steep as those of the standard of Kim Dong Moon, so the same principle applies.

6. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    I almost forgot to answer the question

...Having your opponent pop up the shuttle (as though a mocking invitation for you to try again) after your hardest smash cannot be very satisfying; so, I think no.2 is preferable but with a hard, controlled smash.

7. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

and also it's not anything to do with your racket i use a 35 GB Pound Inflight Racket and a 105 GB Pound Yonex MP 99 and i can smash as hard with the 35 GB Racket as i can with the Yonex MP 99

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the untouchable type of smashes that land +/- 3 inch inside the side :D line.

9. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    my favourite: trying to beat the crap out of a mid court smash, then hacking it and it just goes over =)

10. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Mine is a moderate strenght smash in the corners, especially right after a high serve. That's my killa shot hehehe.

11. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    1 and 3, 3 more because it gives me more satisfaction

12. longtimeuser

Uni student
    Yes that's why I mentioned that I tend to do the No. 3 kind of smash because my opponents have good defense. But as what I said, the No. 1 kind of smash gives me the most satisfaction. :cool:

13. longtimeuser

Uni student
    Seems like almost everyone likes the No. 2 smash. :eek:

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if able to execute it perfectly, i prefer the thundering smash that hits bang on and scrapes of some of the paint of the sideline. :)

15. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    I prefer to pretend I can't smash at first...ie: do drops.
    Then do my power smash right at my opponent when they expect another drop. At the intermediate level this works, and is pretty satisfying ;) But then they catch on and try not to clear to me anymore =/.

16. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I like it when playing against defensive players, to keep smashing at them forcing them to play an error. In these situations, I like to play a slower and accurate smash to their weakspots. They believe the smash was not fast, and they had lost the ralley, but I prefer to think that I won the ralley with precision aiming and ability to change the pace!

In any case, I have yet the ability to smash down steeply and powerfully, only one or the other.....:(