Anyone else uncomfortable smashing off a very high clear?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SSSSNT, Oct 7, 2014.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

The shuttlecock is almost coming straight down. SInce the clear is very high usually I would have enough time to get behind it in a prime smashing position but somehow I find it awkward to hit and my smash isn't as hard as usual despite the perfect position.

Minor problem really but anyone else experienced this and have a solution?

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Everyone has this problem! This is why the high serve is so popular in singles - a vertical falling shuttle is very difficult to attack because you will struggle to make clean contact with the cork (more likely to hit the feather first!).

You are not the first to struggle - this is the best way to beat someone with a big smash - just tonk it up onto the back line, give them plenty of time and make it very difficult to hit the smash!

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Actually, I quite enjoy smashing these. It makes no difference to me except it gives me more time to prepare.

I find a lot of players struggle with these as they are unable to generate their own power. So you're not on your own. The trouble is firstly, the shuttle is not flying towards you so can't use that energy to flex the string bed to get power. Secondly, the angle of the shuttle being near vertical means that you contact the side of the cork more, giving less repulsion.

To get around this, try altering your stroke slightly. I find that if you don't, not only will you lose power, but on very high clears where the shuttle comes down vertically, you may find yourself hitting it into the net or sometimes under the net - if you catch the feathers on the strings.

At the point of contact, exaggerate the forward motion a touch more than usual. So, instead of your racquet head following a circular motion, at the point of contact, try making the racquet head go forward (and downwards) a little more. This should be very subtle, so don't over do it.

4. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

Oh yes this is a common thing in my opinion.
    Also when you're not playing in gyms that arent made specifically for badminton the lighting makes these straight down shots harder to recieve.
    I like to drop these straight down shots or clear them back. Can't get much power off them. But it makes a great position for dropshots.

5. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I like to smash them down. One possible reason could be the way I was trained. My coach will serve me such shuttles to smash them.

The other possibility might be I really used my height to my advantage. I am short by nature. By the time it drops to where I am able to reach the shuttle, I am able to smash it properly without worries.

The nice trajectory of the shuttle allows me to create steep smashes and at times vary it.

Other than that, they are also perfect for me to perform cross court drop shots. I particularly like this shot because of the angle and the tightness of this shot. Executed well, it gives me plenty of time to react or win a point.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Like said in posts above, this high defensive baseline clear is a tough one to smash to win outright... especially against good defenders.

Usually I'd conserve my energy and try to create a better opportunity by going for a drop down the middle, or a fake smash drop at the straight player.

7. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    It's hard, I don't get the additional energy as in normal situation, and as it hits the feathers abit, there should be some adjustment,

but I more than not get points rightaway If I smash, although sometimes I find the net on rare occasions.

and I agree it's kinda perfect for cross-court smashes. I think as the shuttle is hit when it is going down, the shuttle will travel downwards faster than usual. You can hit the shuttle nearer to the net than the usual situation.

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I can actually generate more power from high vertical clears than with lower clears most of the time - as it gives me more time to prepare and time it perfectly. I used to have the same problem as most of you guys above and had trouble with these and occasionally catching the feathers but if you try my suggestion above you might find it helps. You need to remember to keep accelerating the racquet head through the shot and not to over do the motion.

The effect of extending the forward motion a bit more does tend to flatten the smash angle slightly, so when there is time, I would jump to regain some angle.

9. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Glad I'm not the only one. I'll try some of the suggestions.

My thinking is just don't smash. Since I have plenty of time, I'll just play it where it will be hard to get.

10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Use half smashes, 3/4 smashes, fast drops, punch clears and slices. You can STILL play a full power smash (and you SHOULD do it every now and then, just to keep your opponent guessing). However, you will get on just fine if you use lots of other shots!

Good luck!