How does Low vs High tension affect repulsion

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by rsimky, Oct 8, 2014.

1. rsimky

rsimky Regular Member

Hi, after scouring more than several threads on this topic I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the whole theoretical relationship between high vs low tension. I'm hoping its due to the inconsistencies of terms used rather than my lack of understanding.

My current conclusion is as such,

Low tension
    - Bigger sweet spot - more forgiving to beginners
    - Higher repulsion from trampoline effect
    - Less control i.e. to land precise shots due to wider range of displacement from shots due to trampoline effect
    - Lower Power

High tension
    - Smaller sweet spot
    - Lower repulsion
    - More control
    - Higher power

In layman terms,

Assumption 1
    Repulsion vs Power

Repulsion = trampoline effect
    Power = direct force translated from your swing to the shuttle

If ALL conditions identical,

With a racket strung at 20lbs, there will be a max cap on smash speed due to power loss from shuttle contact time with string

With a racket strung at 30lbs, the max cap will be higher due to less power loss from lower shuttle contact time with string

However due to trampoline effect compensating, a smash with a quarter that effort will result in the racket strung at 20lbs to produce a higher smash speed vs the one strung at 30lbs.

Assumption 2
    Repulsion vs Control

Repulsion = trampoline effect
    Control = ability to consistently land shuttles at specific points

If ALL conditions identical,

With both rackets held upright and a shuttle thrown to the sweet spot,

With a racket strung at 20lbs, the higher repulsion will cause the shuttle to fall further.

With a racket strung at 30lbs, the lower repulsion will cause the shuttle to fall shorter.

However due to trampoline effect, if 3 shuttles were thrown to 3 exact points on both rackets, the dispersion of the shuttles from those thrown at the racket stung at 20lbs will be more sporadic compared to those thrown at the 30lbs racket.

As I'm a new player (8 months) to the sport and I have some insatiable desire to understand certain mechanics, I hope the more experienced players out there can help clarify on the above mentioned questions.

sp00k likes this.
  2. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

My advice is not to over-analyse the technical aspects of the game. It's definitely good to understand the intricacies involved but always remember to enjoy the sport. :)

From my understanding, and I stress again, my understanding, you are correct, although I'd explain power differently.

Assuming 20lb vs 30lb.

It's easier to generate power from a 20lb string but a 20lb string has a lower ceiling for maximum amount of power available. Arm-strength + technique is compensated.

It's harder to generate power from a 30lb string but it has a higher ceiling for maximum amount of power available. Arm-strength + technique is highly recommended.

Are you able to generate the same amount of power on a 30lb string against a 20lb string with a technically-sound + powerful swing? Yes.

Are you able to generate the same amount of power on a 20lb string against a 30lb string with a technically-sound + powerful swing? Perhaps not.

So, a 30lb string can generate the maximum amount of power available to a 20lb string but a 20lb string cannot generate the maximum amount of power available to a 30lb string.

#2 Gary Lim, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

Welcome! Excellent first post.

Agree with not over analyzing it.

Just make good friends with a good stringer and set aside some money for 6-8 string jobs (23-29 lbs) where you try different tensions with your one favourite string on your one favourite racket. Then you'll experience first hand the compromise between control and power, and you'll discover what is the right tension for you.

Specifically what is the right tension for your hand speed.

Ultimately, the right tension is the one that perfectly matches the rebound speed of the stringbed with your hand speed. When you get this right, you'll have no problem with generating power.

4. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    If unsure of ur tension, recommend 24 lbs as a start.

5. rsimky

rsimky Regular Member

[MENTION=118754]Gary Lim[/MENTION],

Of course, otherwise we'd be missing the point in playing or living for that matter really. Really enjoying the game thus far and thanks for the breakdown, that was exactly what I was trying to express but yours really hit the spot.
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION],

Thanks for the warm welcome! And you've totally opened up a new perspective for me with regards to choosing the appropriate tension. I've always regarded it only from an "ability to consistently hit the sweet spot" point of view.
    [MENTION=107099]TeddyC[/MENTION],

I actually started playing at 24lbs due to the recommendation of my friend who introduced me to the sport. But after a few months of playing going as high as 28lbs as he was the one stringing my racket, I realised that I've been going about this backwards and have since dropped it down to 23lbs on my own. It finally feels about right but I've been thinking of going down to 22lbs just to see how it feels.

I do realise that the right technique is ultimately what plays the biggest part but messing around with the equipment is as fun as playing the game is to me.

6. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Just my two cents posted b4:

"String tension mainly depends on the hands wielding the racket. It varies frm one individual to another.

Ime, there is such thing called optimal string tension where string tension yields the most power n at the same time the most control for that player. At this point of equilibrium, adjusting the tension by 1 lb will raise one factor n reduce the other. U really nd to test it out urself n discover ur optimal tension.

Having said that, one has to understand the following two variables. First, different types of racket (main factors: balance point n shaft stiffness) will affect this optimal tension by 1-3 lbs.

Second, as u advanced further to higher levels n/or build up more upper body strength, the optimal tension will most likely increase due to increase in ur physical power n dexterity."

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The higher the tension, the higher the power limit, but the fewer the people who can actually reach it.

8. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Just a sidenote to the OP,

Should have told me earlier bout ur WTB: TK6ooo. Just sold one...earlier today...

9. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

And what I took 5 paragraphs to try to explain, Mark A does it in 1 sentence.... lol.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

The sweetspot getting smaller with higher tensions is just a consequence of the stringbed with faster rebound.

The important thing is that higher tensions cause a faster rebound and a faster reaction time from the stringbed, meaning the shuttle leaves the stringbed much quicker. But in order to take advantage of this, your hand speed has to be fast enough.

11. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Mayhaps, hand speed like Maradona's "hand of god"...?
    ( *.^)

12. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    Go to the minimum, 21lbs

It is possible to go lower than 21 but the feeling won't be right at all.:)

We were using 21lbs for about 2 years and we now advance to 24lbs and also using a string which can give us better control but yet tension is still 24lbs not compromising with power cum control. Best of all won't hurt our shoulder.

13. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

I think u don't understand between power and repulsion. Power is how far you can hit, and repulsion is the speed of the shuttle when you hit. Lower tension, more power, less repulsion, more control is just that you have to get used to it. Higher tension, less power, more repulsion and more control.

However if you play high tension and suddenly switch to low tension you will lose control, due to the fact you are not used to it not because of the string tension. So the only difference between low and high tension is like this

Low tension - More power, less repulsion, more control
    High tension - less power, more repulsion, more control

So the only difference is Power and repulsion and for control is the same once you get used to it.

So if you choose power, you save energy in the long run, but if you choose repulsion you have to end it fast before your energy runs out.
    So that why beginner choose low tension cause they suck at stamina and everything, while high tension uses a lot energy so you have to end fast. but if you play with the person with lower tension and you don't end it fast, then late game he will crush you.

#13 john1994, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    sp00k likes this.
  14. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

As the OP points out...

Low tension - less power, more repulsion, less ctrl
    High tension - more power, less repulsion, more ctrl

15. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

What OP said is sound but "power" may be used in a confusing way.

For beginners, an easy way to go by is:

Go as high as you can but ensuring that you can go from baseline to baseline with 80% power. If not, drop the tension to get more help from repulsion.

16. amleto

amleto Regular Member

[MENTION=118700]john1994[/MENTION] must say I'm not convinced about this definition of repulsion. after all 'power, or how far ypu can hit the shuttle', is directly related to shuttle speed off the strings. They are not different.

The difference in trampoline affect of the same string only comes in to play when an acceleration is applied whilst the shuttle is in contact with string bed. If there is no acceleration then in a controlled test I think average speed would be the same for shuttle exit spid on high vs low tension.

However, where this comes into play practically is 1) sweet spot size, and 2) shuttle contact time. It takes superior technique to apply high acceleration during a short time. Hence these are two reasons why high tension is only playable with better technique.

I do not believe higher tension naturally leads to higher power, just higher control due to smaller dispersion. However, perhaps contradictory, I will say that, practically speaking, lower tension leads to smaller max velocity because the long shuttle contact time hinders the ability to apply high acceleration because it has to be applied for so long.

So it's not a property of the tension that leads to smaller max velocity, but the combination of human technique and lower tension that does so.

In summary, for a given person and string, there is a pay-off between power and control. Any talk of repulsion is pseudo science as far as I can see

#16 amleto, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

Very true.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Totally agree. It's all about matching the stringbed rebound speed with your hand speed.

19. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

Well I don't think high tension more control, you see if you low tension you using less power since the string already help bouncing off. By right I think in my opinion if you use less power mean easier to control, since higher tension require more arm power that mean you are putting more force into the shot, lesser force should be better in control than putting more force. Take for example smashing and drop, obviously the drop shot is more easy and more accurate because you are using less force to hit rather than full blast smash. So if you high tension mean you have to hit harder, while low tension you don't have to hit hard meaning less arm power. So I think if you play high tension and then switch to low tension you probably won't get use to it because for me I can control well even with low tension, but it took me 2 to 3 days to get used to it. Since is lower tension I just swing probably let say 2 inches around the net area. As for high tension I swing probably 4 inches around the net area since high tension less power. So ins't smaller swing better control than bigger swing? correct me if I am wrong.

20. rsimky

rsimky Regular Member

From a layman POV, with the example you provided,

With low tension, you only have a 2 inch clearance to apply the desired force to achieve an "ideal" shot.

But with high tension, you have 4 inches to apply a much wider range of force to have very minute but potentially significant effect on the shuttle/shot. Hence "more" control.

In a more general sense, with reference to your example on more/less arm power, with low tension you may use less arm power but it also means you will have lesser variations of shots vs more arm power. i.e. you may vary your strength used for a smash but due to using "less" strength, but taking into account the skill limitations, you may only be able to control and hit 4 (imaginary number) different speeds. But if you had to use more strength, you would be able to break it down into perhaps 8 or 10 different speeds.

Realistically speaking, even with all the above said, I reckon this will only make a significant difference to the top percentile of players that spend thousands of hours honing their skills and technique.

And all of the above IMHO, of course.