doubles strategy against serve return down the line/alley

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by monto, Apr 3, 2004.

1. monto

monto Regular Member

Did a quick search, but didn't find too much help, so I'd like to pose a question of strategy.

During doubles, when my parter is serving from the right side and I'm at the back (standing immediately behind, or behind and offset to the left --my backhand-- side slightly if he's too tall), the return is driven sharply down the line, into the alley at my backhand side. As these returns are usually too low for me to go around the head for a forehand drop/drive/smash/clear, I usually respond with a (backhand) drop or drive. Once in a while, the opponents are good enough that the returner stays up front and my drops must be perfect, or he easily drives it downwards/crosscourt. In these instances, I have to backhand clear, but my underhand backhand is not strong enough to clear all the way back to the endlines, so my partner and I are forced into a compromising defensive position. Is there a better or preferred reply to these sharp down the line returns to my backhand?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    instead of backhand clear, try to do a backhand drive straight down the alley. if executed with speed, the receive may not have enough time to intercept it, and even if it does, he won't be able to do a tight net shot. in that case, you can follow in, rush forward and take his return.

if you cannot do that drives, then you will need to practice more backhand drives.

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    OK, I'm gonna recogmend something I dont usually recogmend in a doubles game. But depending on your (and your opponent's) level of play, a crosscourt drop once in a while may be effective because you'd be thowing your opponents off. However, some ppl are either fast enough of good enough to cut those off and convert them into a win... so... you have to be very selective about that shot.
    If that doesn't work... do wut Kwun says! He's always (well... usually almost always) rite! :p

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

A cross-court drop from that position is suicide :p The shuttle is low and far too deep in the court; unless the net player is incompetent or you are very lucky, he will kill the shuttle next shot.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree, an underhand cross court drop is risky.

however, if done deceptively and only done for surprises, it is a possible return. you will be surprised how many ppl i have surprised with a crosscourt drop... :)

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    hehe....just work on your backhand underarm clears...otherwise they will never reach the other baseline, and a return drive down the server's partner's backhand alley is a favourite return in our level of competition. a cross court drop (underarm) is ok if the opponents are not regular partners, and therefore may not be sure who should take that shot. It is probably easier to learn than the clear, but as mentioned before, is very risky. Also, only works against slower opponents, otherwise they would both rush it and gain the offensive. what i do is just to either crosscourt drop, if they are slow/short, or a clear either to the back corner (straight) or a little to the right, creating minor confusion whether the receiver should run back and get it (and hopefully not be in the best position to hit an attacking shot) or the receivers partner should move over to get it.

7. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    In this situation, if you have a weak backhand return or not fast enough to take it with forehand, you should stand further to the left to compensate. (I assume you are right handed). Maybe your partner's serve is too high, giving the opportunity for them to attack straight off the serve...if you have a regular partner, you could train so that straight after he serves he anticipates to block off the return at the net, or play a better serve from the outright. I see no reason why you cannot take one step and take it around the head on your forehand, you can play clear, drive or drop or if you are Sigit, around the back :p

You should not only concentrate on the quality of the shot, but also where you should be straight after you have played the shot.

Bear in mind that if you play a backhand dropshot, any replies past mid court and above your partner are yours...;)

But at the end of the day, if you have a weak backhand, opponents with any sense will exploit it, so get working! ;)

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Agreed, it can work. But it rarely does.

My league doubles partner likes to play a "deceptive" cross-court underhand drop when taking the shuttle very low, off balance and from just behind the short-service line. It's a forehand slice, so effectively he fakes left and hits right. The reason he plays this shot is that we are in such a bad position that any normal net reply (without faking) will be immediately killed.

The trouble is it never works. He almost always hits it into the net under the pressure, and if not it gets killed. He knows it's a dumb shot to play, but can't break the habit.

The correct shot in that situation, of course, is a lift to the back.

9. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    In this case, I would just do a full-speed and full-strength full-swing by using both wrist & arm to clear the shuttle away straight to the oppoent's end line.
    (Samparas style:))

Since you are dealing in this kind of hard-to-return situation, I would just suggest you to do this.

Perhaps you can practice a little more on this kind of shot.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    It depends...

I think all suggestion made above are valid.

1. the cross court drop must be deceptive and not use often. If used often, no matter how deceptive this shot, it won't work.

2. it's also depend the lvl of play u r playing. Higher lvl players can read this shot easier and can also run up faster to take that cross court drop to his/her advantage

3. i think down the alley mid court is the safest of all shot (vs deep clear and any type of net drop shot). If one is very good at returning really tight net shot, then he/she can employ the net drop more often if he/she feel so. If net drop doesnt work, then dont continue using it. Survival rate from a deep back end smash is still better then getting pounded at the net region.

4. lastly and not least, tell your parnter to serve better. A tight net serve would reduce the severity of the angle of the return shot. Like cheung had said and i totally agreed, serving is the most important shot. If one serve lousy, u give your opponent to trunce on your serve. Even the best pros cant consistently make those return driven to the sidelines, fast and steep in angles.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Monto,

can you tell us where you partner is serving to when you have this problem?
    (Assuming it is low serves to the forecourt area)

1) serves near to T junction
    2) serves to centre of opponents half of court
    3) serves out wide to tramlines
    4) all of the above! :eek:

BTW - I agree with all previous replies. If backhand drives are difficult, you need to examine your grip, footwork, body placement and anticipation in preparation of your shot.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think where your partner is serving is very important, as if he is serving out wide then this gives the opponent too much time to either give angle back cross court, or hit a quick shot down the line, leaving you in a difficult position. If he is serving straight (to the t) then it will make it easier as his replies will be hard to hit into the corner.

13. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I agree with hitting straight down the alley, but rather than a hard drive which makes it to the back, how about a softer shot that passes the net player but drops to the midpoint, forcing the back player to come up and catch it below net level. Once you establish yourself as successful with this shot, then you can mix in an occasional crosscourt drop or drive to throw the opponents off.

14. monto

monto Regular Member

thanks to all the suggestions, I'll work on the midcourt straight drives with an occasional cross court drive as many have suggested. Sometimes I fear when trying to drive too low over the net under pressure forces those shots high enough for the returner to kill it.

It's mostly the first case, at the T. I'll mention to my server to watch out if they continually push it down the line and see if he could possibly cut it off.

15. slyinottawa

slyinottawa Regular Member

Tell your partner not to serve too often to that spot. It makes it much more
    difficult for you to get the return since the angles are much better for your
    opponent. It's a good a serve now and again to keep your opponent from getting
    a rhythm when returning but I'd say only a few times a game. And it help if he
    tells you where he is serving too.

16. Pebulutangkis

Pebulutangkis Regular Member

Student
    if you're quick enough, can start a driving rally. i find driving very gd to win points during doubles game.

17. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    i think the problem here is the serve. its probably too high or very readable. i dont recall anyone asking but is your partner using a forehand serve?

a short serve to the T is the best service in doubles and someone already mentioned not even the top players can drive down the service most of the time. with a good low short serve to the T, you shouldnt be worrying about fast drives to the line very much.

18. reenignelivic

reenignelivic Regular Member

Student
    I assume your partner always serves to the T joint from the right court. That allows opponet replies with a backhand dash to your left court. If this is the case, try to have your partner serves to the side so forcing opponent using forehand to reply. It is harder to drive fast and straight at the sideline with forehand provided the serve is low. Opponent would most likely hit back to your partner on your right court.

If the opponent receive on his/her right court and pushes the birdie to your left court (backhand corner), a backhand drive straight back to the opponet is very dangerous in my opinoin. After the drive, the opponent would most likely waiting at his front right. A straight backhand reply from you would go directly to the opponent. At least, my backhand drive won't be fast enough to pass my opponent's forehand court.

I won't stand more on the left side and have my partner serve to the side forcing a crosscourt return.