Semi-Urgent: First Tournament, and Bag Advice

Discussion in 'Badminton Bag' started by stormthunder, Oct 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. stormthunder

stormthunder Regular Member

Hello everyone,

I am an intermediate badminton player and have been training for roughly 2 years now at my club. I am attending a tournament next week, and am considering getting a badminton bag, preferably Yonex. Currently I am lugging this around in my backpack, but this is what i plan to carry to the tournament:

NOTE: THIS IS MY FIRST TOURNAMENT SO I AM CLUELESS. IF YOU HAVE ANY FIRST TIME ADVICE OR TIPS FOR ME THEY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

x1 Armortec 900 Technique
    x1 Voltric 7
    x1 Armortec 900 Power
    x1 shoes
    x1 grip tape roll
    x2 water bottle (note: i tend to consume atrocious amounts of water)
    x1 small towel
    x1 tube of shuttles
    x1 phone
    x2 sets of extra clothes (I am staying overnight so for two days)
    x1 phone
    x1 wallet
    x2 banana, or other snacks. (2 days worth)
    x1 a small bit of homework (because highly likely loss of first round xD)
    x1 Advil (preparing for the worst o_O)
    x1 jacket
    x1 gatorade/energy drink (I like sugar)
    x1 deodorant...
    x1 first aid kit (preparing for the worst xDD)
    x1 glasses
    x1 watch
    x1 hairbrush...

and...

x1000 plastic bags I'm willing to bet my parents are going to make me bring... because it's a new bag. xD

This is probably overkill, i know, but this is my first tournament and I'm pretty sure everyone here knows first tournament jitters (or maybe you're just really calm, but I'm the nervous type xD) so I probably overpacked. Yes, I like sugar.

I did a decent amount of research on possible options, and their sizes and things. My friend, who also purchased a bag but is not nearly as crazy as me when packing, recommended me to purchase a 3 racket bag. My other friend recommended a 6 racket bag. I read that the three racket bags don't have much space for much, if you're storing other things. But me being an intermediate player, walking into a tournament with this giant bag is unnerving xD I wanted recommendations from everyone here (because you're all pretty pro lol) about which one I should get: 3 racket or 6 racket? Thanks guys and gals!

I looked around, and settled on these two.
    http://www.badmintonalley.com/Yonex...kets_p/bag-yonex-7326-black-gold.htm?CartID=1
    http://www.badmintonalley.com/Yonex...3_Rackets_Bag_p/bag-yonex-7223-black-2012.htm

I am absolutely obsessed with that combination of black and gold! But of course, if I don't need the 6 racket bag, I'll settle for the black and white :) Saving money comes first! Also, if you want to recommend other bags, feel free! :cool:

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Travelling overnight - 6 racquet bag. Unless you are OK with taking two bags.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Pack more deodorant. .... you sound nervous. ;-)

4. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

Moving from casual >> recreational >> first tournament..... I think almost anyone would be nervous :D

5. stormthunder

Haha, yup. xD

What should i do the night before the tournament? should i just kick back and relax? swing with a dumbell (lol yes i do this before training)? do frog jumps+burpess just for conditioning? ahh xD

6. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

Get enough rest. You workout early in the morning.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

the evening before, go to the venue and spend 30-40mins there. Walk around the stands and then the court area. Do some warm up exercises on the courts.

Try to have a hit. Or, if no hitting partner, keep to practicing serves.

The next day there may be very few opportunities to hit a shuttle so going the night before will take the edge off things. At least you will be a little more familiar for the next day.

On the morning itself, do your stretches, go for a ten minute moderately paced run. Do some shadow badminton exercises. That will get the muscles warmed up gently, the blood flowing and prepared mentally.

Enjoy!

Edit - note that there is no recommendation of conditioning exercises. That is kept to build up to the competition.

#7 Cheung, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  8. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Definitely a 6 racquet bag...it can last u for quite some time...3 racquet bag cant even fit in ur shoes....9 racquet bag is abit overkill unless u really have many spare racquets

9. fries

fries Regular Member

Student
    6 racket bag because you have a lot of stuff and... I agree the gold and black is wonderful :p Haha I remember my first tournament jitters... it was horrible >.<

I would say don't overwork yourself the day before and take it easy (and you could, as Cheung said, go and check out the hall if you can and get used to it), then the next day is when you start preparing with warm ups etc.

As for the mental part, don't put to much pressure on yourself (though a little can be good, too much will kill your game as). If you loose a point don't get to work up and worried about it (this is often a problem for me during matches and my coach just tells me to calm down and just focus on the next point).

Most importantly, have fun at your tournament!

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I still remember my first tournament. Err...lol. Let's not talk too much but I did nothing of those things that I advised!

11. stormthunder

Haha, thank you guys! :) I purchased the 6 racket bag it fits my stuff perfectly xD

I somehow managed to regain technique I lost a while ago, so I'm pumped and ready for the tournament.

Also, I'd like to ask about when I should leave.
    I can either cut school during lunch, when I don't have any classes that I really need to go to (and my parents will write off the unexcused absence, so I kind of want to ditch xD), or leave really early Saturday morning.
    I'm not sure about getting there THAT early, but I'm worried I might be late, or I might be unsettled there or something.

Which one should I do?

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

How long will it take to get to the venue? And what time are you playing?

Presume your match is on Saturday?

13. stormthunder

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's an individual decision.

You will have to weigh up the pros and cons yourself.

Pretty far to travel for a first tournament.

15. stormthunder

Probably... I mean, I've participated in like, interclub tournaments, but that was so long ago I played in a division where I knew I could beat everyone.

I wanted to participate in a more serious tournament where I can play more people than just the people from my club xD My club members were really friendly, so I'd like to expand my horizons :)

16. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Did you already tried to fill the bag with all the stuff you listed? Did it fit?

p.s. very much luck and enjoy your first tournament! :)

17. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Where are towels and showering gel? If you stay overnight with others you will get some new friends pretty quickly. :cool: IMO one tube of shuttles is too less if you play 2 days. Would carry 1-2 more to be safe. Don't eat loads of garlic one day before. It will turn you into Stinkor.
    If you are there with friends some cards or other games to kill the waiting time are perfect. For the night I recommend some beer but I think you are too young for this. ;)
    Charging cable for your phone is also important.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Probably a bit late now for a semiurgent request. :)

19. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    Better late than never? :D