looking for a doubles racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by guantou, Oct 16, 2014.

1. guantou

guantou Regular Member

Hi all, i am searching for a doubles-oriented racket. dun play singles

i play intermediate level. currently using tk6000 4u. its a good racket for me and covers me for all kinds of play. but i find it a tad slow for high-level fast paced doubles

previously i had a mx60 3u but i found it slower than tk6000 even though they had the same swing weight. i dunno why is this so, though i suspect it has to do with shaft thickness

so i think i should be looking for smth with slightly less headweight
    am i going in the right direction? or should i be looking at stiffer shaft?

any recommendations?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, stiffer and less head heavy would be better for fast doubles rallies.

Like 4U MX90.

3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

2 important specification that all it takes explained by visor is what you need to have in your new upcoming racket.

Why stiffer - to match the racket with your swing speed for better racket head contact timing hence more solid hit can be produce
    Why less head heavy - For more maneuverability in your swings as the swing weight has reduced

SS

4. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Funny thing...am thinking bout the exact same racket...LOL

5. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    how is this V mx90 4u compare to bs 12L(cn), anyone please advice,
    thanks

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

OP just said racket is too slow, didn't mention anything about head lag or similar. So there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with stiffness.

Also I doubt that the op measured true swing weight, more likely just compared balance point between mx60 & tk6k.

I'd look at bs12 rather than mx90 for OP

7. guantou

guantou Regular Member

thanks everyone for ur replies
    [MENTION=31680]amleto[/MENTION]: could you explain true swing weight? i have never come across that term before?

do you think a bs11 at 3u or 4u would be a good idea? i saw in forums ppl mention bs11 to be the mx60 equivalent? so changing to a faster frame design might do the trick

in my area i cant get a bs12 blue anymore. and it would be too expensive if i were to get a brand new one without testing it before hand

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

True swing weight is derived from the definition of moment of inertia. It pertains to momentum in rotational bodies. This actually means something when describing how hard it is to swing a racket, whereas balance point is relatively meaningless on this front. There is no simple way to obtain the swing weight of a racket just from static spec e.g. weight & balance point. Normally this is done empirically by measure how fast it takes to swing like a pendulum.

read more here for more mathematical information

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Speaking of pendulum, is there a way to easily dangle the racket from a string like a pendulum in order to measure swing weight?

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

11. hrixenz

hrixenz Regular Member

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

stiffness and balance probably what you're after, but 5u & even balance? :eek: doubt there is any power at all there!

#12 amleto, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  13. hrixenz

hrixenz Regular Member

I'm a beginner player and control is my game. My wrist is not powerful enough to generate great power. ;)

However, I read some reviews about Arcsaber FB which is just 73 g and most of the reviews stated that the racket can produce impressive smashes. So, why can't Arcsaber 6 generate enough power despite it's heavier than FB?

14. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    if you are a girl or begginer, I will recommend yonex FB to you, but if you are not a
    a girl or begginer, I will recommend Vivtor BS12 to you.

15. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    if you are a girl or begginer, I will recommend yonex FB to you, but if you are not a girl or begginer, I will recommend Vivtor BS12 to you.

16. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    If you're a beginner and you've realized that you don't have that much physical strength to generate descent power then you should use a lighter racket that feels easy in your swings. You can try to use a racket from 3U, 4U or 5U and make a sensible self judgement.

As far as for any racket reviews, no doubt that such impressive statement on how does this or that racket can generate whatever amount of results is purely based on the reviewer point of view according to his own preferences. Since we are unique to ourselves from the point of style of play and physical attributes, a racket that is good in another players hand does not necessarily will be good once wielded in your hand. This is true since you can use Dato' LCW racket but that does not mean that you can generate the similar amount of outcome even though you are using his racket since Dato' racket most likely will not suits your own preferences as a player BUT if you can find a racket that comes with a specifications that can suits your preferences well, it will definitely can produce a much more better results more then while you're using Dato' racket.

Similarly like your thought about the above 2 racket. Regardless of their differences in specification, the outcome of power that comes from any of your hits from any of this 2 racket is not just dictated by the suitability of such racket according to your own preferences as a player but as well as yourselves having a sound knowledge and technique of playing badminton correctly. If your playing technique is correct and the racket you are using suits you very well, regardless even if you are using a clone racket, it would most probably generate more power in any of your hits as to compare to both of the above racket :)

SS

17. guantou

guantou Regular Member

Hi guys, just to let you all know i ended up with a rkep xp70.
    was comtemplating mx90 too but seems to be a very demanding racket

based on what i felt,

stiffness is around the same as tk6000
    but with lighter head and faster frame.

Effects of change
    easier on the wrist
    short and fast strokes are made with more ease
    drop in power of smashes (expected)

Thanks everyone for your input

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Awesome, what specs you got?

XP70 (85/297) is my go to racket... I have 5 of them... :p

If you play feathers, pair it up with ZM62 23x25 lbs or so and it's amazing.

19. guantou

guantou Regular Member

Im not sure.. the person who sold me the racket said he got his racket from another person

but from what i measured

total weight: 93
    wet head weight around: ~41g

calculated bp is ard 297

it came with newly applied supergrap so i dunno if the original grip is still intact or not
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]: what is your racket weight after u finish setting up your racket?

im currently trying to reduce overall weight on my tk6000 in a bid to make it feel faster. I took away the overgrip and its now sitting at 41g head weight and 88g total

doesnt feel much different from when the overgrip was still on

but im happy both of my rackets feels similar when swinging

20. visor

visor Regular Member

That's a good weight.

Mines wet with zm62 and g10 grip is 94.5g, 295mm, head wt 40.7g.

If you want to lower the head wt of yours, you can use thinner strings, like ZM62. Removing the factory grip doesn't really affect the head much.