Serving signals to your partner?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by prophet, Apr 4, 2004.

1. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    (Forgive me if previously discussed, didn't find anything in search)

This thread (http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14769) about doubles strategy got me to thinking about signals for your partner in doubles. Mainly, if you are serving, do you ever signal your partner in the back where you will be serving? For example in (doubles) volleyball, the front blocker will signal that he is blocking line or cross court, so his partner can anticipate/defend accordingly. (They signal a 1 or 0 behind their backs.)

Does this happen in badminton? I personally have not done it, but I can imagine that it might be helpful(?). If I am serving wide to the tram lines, if my partner knows this, he can anticipate a drive down the alley while I might cut off all the cross court drops. Or if I'm doing a flick serve, he might get ready for a high clear, while I am cutting off all the drives/smashes. Tell me what you guys think, or even if this idea is ludicrous. :rolleyes:

Also, since I don't have much (video) access to pro players - being here in the U.S., so if anyone knows whether or not they use signals, it would be helpful to know.

peace,

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i do that sometimes, but instead of signaling, i whisper to my partner before i go into the get ready stance. with one hand holding the racket, and the other one holding the birdie, i find it hard to signal after i got into the ready stance.

3. reenignelivic

reenignelivic Regular Member

Student
    I actually know that some players would place the birdie holding hand behind the back and make a signal to the partner before a service. (something like two fingers for short serve and four fingers for long serve)

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    In my serve, I usually don't decide what to deliver until I see the receiver in his ready stance. Does he lean much forwards? Is he positioned right at the front line or a step back? Sideways? etc etc

Those are the kinds of observations that should decide where you put your serve. Deciding what serve to deliver in advance is like deciding "my next shot is going to be a smash to the alley". It might work, but probably won't!

However, if I note that the receiver is having trouble with flick serves, between rallies I might turn around and caution my partner that there are going to be a few more flicks than usual.

5. marky mark

marky mark Regular Member

an old partner used to do what reenignelivic mentioned, however, he used the birdie as the signal - birdie pointing up meant he would do a high serve, and conversely, pointing down would mean doing a low serve.

i used to think this was convenient and practical, but now, i have doubts. the type of serve i use depends on many things - the stance, position, racquet "readiness", etc. of the opponent that doing a prior signal might just confuse my partner if i decide to change serves suddenly (btw, before anyone misinterprets this, i regularly use a low serve aiming for the T, but would mix in a different serve from time to time depending on the above.)

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Won't it be better for the server's partner to stay close to the middle court and react to the service shot? ie. hang back if it's short, or go side if it's a flick. As Mag have mentioned, sometimes the service decision depends on opposition's positions and tendencies.

7. reenignelivic

Student
    Agree with all of you above, I personally wouldn't hint my partner about my service. I think my partner should focus mainly on the recieve of the service from the opponent but not the kind of service I am going to deliver.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Personally, I would not use this tactic. It's still possible for me to change my intended service even as I am just about to hit the shuttle - for example, if the receiver starts to shift his weight too far forwards I will change my intended low serve to a flick.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Also, your opponent could tell what service shot you're about to give if your eager partner positioned slightly too early.

10. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Do you think it is possible to do this with a birdie in your hand ? :confused:

I do the samething as Mag, first observation and then decide.
    In my observation period, I get my racket ready, I put my non-racket hand with the birdie in my back.
    If I have decided where to hit. I give a signal to my partner.
    Usually I use 2 signs :
    Cock up, service to the middle.
    Cock down, service the tram line.
    There are no sign for flick service.

11. reenignelivic

Student
    Ooops :p jkusmanto got me.

I guess if thumb and index fingers hold the birdie, you have three fingers left to do the signal. I have never done it so I was only guessing the number of fingers other players using for signal of service. Try pinky finger for low and three fingers for long then :rolleyes: