diffuse pain in bicep

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by lordrogue, Oct 18, 2014.

1. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I usually get an intense but diffuse pain in my lower right bicep after playing many matches in a row. It takes about two weeks to heal, but it keeps coming back whenever I play tournaments. Coaches say it might be holding racket too tight or incorrect technique but won't specify. Stretching and extending the arm relieves the pain, while resting in a bended position hurts. I have a small grip and Im quite sure I don't hold that tight except at the moment of impact... Any idea?

2. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Grips normally linked to wrist injury and not quite biceps, at least in my understanding. Larger the grip higher the risk.

Just throwing a wild guess for discussion sake... Muscle tear in badminton sport has been linked to the rapid rate of discceleration (opposite of acceleration). So perhaps relook into your forearm swing motion, especially the part you bring your racket back before swinging forward.

Cheers

3. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

Could be accurate. I sometimes have a bad habit of not throwing back the elbow far enough and instead compensate with a quick backswing. From what Ive been taught from Malaysians is that the movement should never have any backswing. Only preparation and then movement forward...

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Cool. Let us know if it goes away

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If the pain is at or near the elbow, then you may have golfer's elbow (medial epicondylitis).

You said you are using a small grip. If the grip is too small for your hand, then you will end up holding the racket too tightly (tightening too much on impact). This could cause or aggravate an arm injury.

Players often assume that the grip should be as tight as possible at the moment of impact. This is not true.

As you said, it is better to use proper preparation, rather than rushing at the last moment. This can help make it easier for you to get power, thereby reducing the stress on your arm. Even for a power smash, the whole motion should feel quite relaxed and not "forced".

6. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I don't think it's that simple actually. It only starts hurting from some shots when I'm pressured and have to hit far behind my body (overhead or forehand). It happened today a few times and I think I realized what's wrong with the motion. My elbow joint isn't working properly so when I supinate my underarm my bicep/tricep follows too far and causes some kind of tear or strain...it's my theory anyway. I think I was a bit mislead by people pointing arm problem to grip...

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well, it sounds like you have a starting point for investigating the problem. :)

Don't forget to see a doctor / physio if you haven't already.

8. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

"Players often assume that the grip should be as tight as possible at the moment of impact. This is not true."
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. At the point of impact, if you do not tighten up your fingers and instead let them rest loosely, the shot will not be accurate. Especially if you are sweaty and tired, the grip will change during impact and you will miss...

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I meant exactly what I said. ;)

You are of course correct that the grip must tighten at the point of impact. That is not the same as making the grip as tight as you possibly can.

It is possible to try too hard with the grip. Some players have this problem.

10. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

My right inner bicep hurts evetime i perform smash, hence it's been 4 weeks i can only smash with wrist power. Do i have serious muscle torn? Push up, weight lifting, are all okay. During the game, clear, drive, defense are okay. Except smashing and any attempt to try doing so would result punch-feeling like on my bicep (not so sure if i could say bicep since the source of pain is located just slightly under armpit inner side). Pls help what do i need to do? And do i really suffer muscle torn? Bones & joints are all okay, only muscle part that's been hurting for a month now.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You cannot possibly know that.

You feel pain in the muscle, but that does not necessarily mean the damage is in the muscle. Some joint injuries cause referred pain, where the pain is felt at a different place from the injury.

For example, I have a long-term shoulder injury. The damage is in the shoulder joint, but I feel the pain on the outside of my upper arm (in the muscles). This is the usual site for referred shoulder pain.

It is possible that your pain is due to a joint injury. Or it could be the muscle. You just don't know. See a doctor.

#11 Gollum, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Lordrogue, if u feel a strong need to consciously increase grip tightness on shuttle impact, to increase accuracy as u mentioned,..... I suggest focusing on increasing arm strength elbow down with extended arm exercises would be greatly beneficial.

Extended arm excercise does not mean doing curls with weights or pulling yourself up a bar.

Planks, standing upside down, Walking with your hands as feet, basically exercises with your arm supporting your body weight.

Cheers

13. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I don't really try to consciously tighten the grip, I was just describing what happens if I try to loosen up the grip... I'm actually trying to relearn handstands and similar exercises, like you are saying it's good for strengthening or rehabilitation of the arm.
    Anyway, to clarify my injury: I am 99% sure it's called elbow impingement which is fairly common in sports involving a throwing movement. The elbow joint bones sometimes clash when I fully extend my arm. It happens mainly when I am tired or try to relax the arm coupled with supination movement. Now, I've had this injury for 5 years without caring too much about it. The pain is annoying but goes away quickly. However I realized that it's most likely connected to why my bicep muscle attachment keeps hurting. The elbow joint doesn't work as intended so my bicep tendon/muscle has to stop the supination/pronation of the underarm. It probably works if I only play a couple of hours a week, but more than that is impossible.

Anyway, the injury requires surgery and a very long recovery time, and I'm not sure I am prepared for that... Might be better to focus harder on strengthening the arm.