User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you have to take a complete different mentality between singles and doubles?

Voters
983. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

851 86.57%
  • NO

132 13.43%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in singles you just keep your concentration on that one person, but in doubles one has to think about their partner as well as their opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point kouji. In doubles you are up against two players at a time, so the doubles game is more tactical than skill-based.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kouji
    in singles you just keep your concentration on that one person, but in doubles one has to think about their partner as well as their opponents.
    I feel that this is very significant because in Singles - you plan your strategy (i.e. you decide where to place your shots to exploit a weakness or for an error)
    In Doubles - your partner needs to understand what you are trying to do an vice versa and either provide cover or to execute the kill etc ....

This forces you to think about your shots and I think this changes the way a person plays ....

E.g. If I have a strong partner - I try to create opportunities for him to win points etc - whereas for a weaker partner it would be trying to cover his mistakes and not make too many of my own ....

In singles - you just have to do all these yourself !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted yes.

In single, I am on my own.
    However, in doubles, I have another pair of eyes on the court. Having one more person on the court, reduce my court coverage area. I can afford to be more aggressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyliu83
    hi
    When I switch between doubles and singles I have to take an entirely different mentality.

During Doubles, I tend to rush every single short and take it as soon as it comes over the net. As for singles, I am a percentage player seldom attacking. I often forget to "switch" ans end up loosing my first singles game after a night of doubles.

I wanted to know whether you
    a) have to
    b) don't have to
    take a complete different mentality between the two disciplines.

thanks, JL
    Hi,
    My "no" vote is more like "yes and no".
    I am an attacking player, with good stamina. If something kills me in long singles rallies, it is inefficient footwork rather than lack of stamina.
    That is the "no" part.

As for "yes" part, doubles is indeed a different game than singles, so a clean "no" doesn't fit. I think doubles is played even more with your head than singles is. Different goals, different tactics, and most obviously, different movements on the court. As for attacks, I guess I'd wait longer until I attck in singles than in doubles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFK
    I voted yes.

In single, I am on my own.
    However, in doubles, I have another pair of eyes on the court. Having one more person on the court, reduce my court coverage area. I can afford to be more aggressive.
    hehe...yes. singles is indeed on your own, so you should play to your strengths, and partly to your opponents weaknesses.

doubles, you have a partner. if he is better than you overall...then no worries at all, just play how you like, or how they want you to

if they have some weaknesses, i feel it is more important to try and make up for them by using tactics, and an overall strategy in the game. obviously if the other pair aren't that good, then just play, but trying to train certain shots, mentality and tactics in the game.

lol....and in singles the opponents can't keep hitting it to the weaker player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whenever i play doubles i too tend to rush everyshot..mostly trying to attack every shuttle sometimes it really catches my opponent by surprise but mostly it hits the net because some shots are to low and i have no time so adjust to the angle to tap it over the net,however when i play singles im a patient player.i allow my opponenet to attack me while i am contented with defending his shots and playing him around the net or lobbing till i spot any gap created by opponent or any mistake and then attack from then on.i dont know why i do that to im only an amateur but i guess singles is all about having control of the game so i think that is the easiest way of getting control as smashing all the time in singles will make me tired after the first and second game if its down to the rubber set i will definetely not have the strength,while in doubles my partner is still able to cover for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I says yes singles and doubles are different! just because i used to play alot of singles which led me to my doubles but now... when i go back to Sinles im just way to lazy to do anything... I know I can be to it just because i can't think of getting to the corners!

All i can say is Doubles it is all about communitcation with your partner without saying anything aloud. And Doubles has a alot of smashes because you have another person to look at the bird so i can be more aggressive and smash more..

But in the end i believe that singles need a lot of endrance. But in doubles, i use fakes to win the game. Just smashing can't win and also smashing wastes energy way too fast...

~ my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Van-CyKo
    I says yes singles and doubles are different! just because i used to play alot of singles which led me to my doubles but now... when i go back to Sinles im just way to lazy to do anything... I know I can be to it just because i can't think of getting to the corners!

All i can say is Doubles it is all about communitcation with your partner without saying anything aloud. And Doubles has a alot of smashes because you have another person to look at the bird so i can be more aggressive and smash more..

But in the end i believe that singles need a lot of endrance. But in doubles, i use fakes to win the game. Just smashing can't win and also smashing wastes energy way too fast...

~ my 2 cents
    deception? When i think about doubles, deception is very, very, risky. It's all about maintaining the attack, unless you have crazy defence. I think doubles is more skill, and singles is more tactics. I really just feel it, can't explain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in singles, the game is much slower, so you have more time to get prepared. however in doubles, when your opponents serve low, it comes to you very fast because its so near, you have to be mentally prepared to push the bird well otherwise it would be difficult to win in doubles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted yes, because of the different pace. Singles is a lot slower... like... a lot when compared to doubles. In doubles, your partner can intercept shots and block shots and reactions would be a lot faster. In singles, there's a lot of waiting. The pace alone changes my mentality. Sometimes, it's hard to change from a singles mentality to a doubles mentality and vice versa and that screws up my game sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted yes, definately.

I don't want to repeat all the good points all brought up, so that's it for that.

but just to add, I've noticed that one of the differences is in terms of 'comfort level' of joining a game... for example, if i'm a beginner-intermediate, i'll feel more comfortable of joining a doubles game of three relatively advanced players. In contrast, it will be tougher to play against a single advanced player in singles. In that sense, in terms of recreational purposes (not tournaments or anything, just 'for fun') it's less mental strain to play doubles with different skill levels than it is to play singles, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinryu
    I voted yes, definately.

I don't want to repeat all the good points all brought up, so that's it for that.

but just to add, I've noticed that one of the differences is in terms of 'comfort level' of joining a game... for example, if i'm a beginner-intermediate, i'll feel more comfortable of joining a doubles game of three relatively advanced players. In contrast, it will be tougher to play against a single advanced player in singles. In that sense, in terms of recreational purposes (not tournaments or anything, just 'for fun') it's less mental strain to play doubles with different skill levels than it is to play singles, in my opinion.
    oh I agree to that also.... cause the comfort zone is there.... plus we might learn a few things from that advanced players' game....

but yea, it is so much harder to switch from singles to doubles.... n' vice versa.... namely I am in control of my side of the court, having a partner sometimes could be troublesome....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really?! I thought it's the other way around. Doubles requires far more tactics than singles cuz you gotta work well with your partner. You can get away with being a little less skilled than your opponents. Sometimes, you could get by with a stronger partner but in singles there's nobody to help you out when you make a bad shot. Also, how could you employ your tactics if your skills couldn't deliver them. This applies to doubles as well as singles, however I suspect that the lower skillset might be more acutely felt in singles than doubles.

Quote Originally Posted by BethuneGuy
    I think doubles is more skill, and singles is more tactics. I really just feel it, can't explain.
    Last edited by cappy75; 02-12-2005 at 02:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Really?! I thought it's the other way around. Doubles requires far more tactics than singles cuz you gotta work well with your partner. You can get away with being a little less skilled than your opponents. Sometimes, you could get by with a stronger partner but in singles there's nobody to help you out when you make a bad shot. Also, how could you employ your tactics if your skills couldn't deliver them. This applies to doubles as well as singles, however I suspect that the lower skillset might be more acutely felt in singles than doubles.
    I agree, doubles feels more 'tactical' than singles does. In singles, I find that good basic skills is a key, there's only one opponent covering the entire court, so often there are a lot more open holes in his position which you can try for-- no 'strategy' invloved. You can see the holes, and your opponent can see the holes.

In contrast, doubles has two people covering your targets, so you need to be able to see the holes and actually hit them. And if there are no holes, you have to play a move or two in advance to get them out of position to make yourself an opening...The holes in singles are definately more apparent, the ones in doubles take some getting used to since you've got to force them out, and that's what i consider the 'strategy' involved in a doubles game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doubles play can feel like a real fight sometimes.
    but in singles, to me, it can almost feel like the rally is a dance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy75
    Really?! I thought it's the other way around. Doubles requires far more tactics than singles cuz you gotta work well with your partner. You can get away with being a little less skilled than your opponents. Sometimes, you could get by with a stronger partner but in singles there's nobody to help you out when you make a bad shot.
    I also agree with this (I voted yes). I find that in singles aswell as tactics and techniques you need to be physically fit, more so than doubles. Often when I play singles (normally against my doubles partner) it comes down to a matter of stamina, endurance and speed over tactics (though they still are hugely important). After gruelling rallies (singles), when I find myself exhausted its motivation and determination that I need to carry on with the next point, as well as better stamina, whereas in doubles I find that a lot more falls on tactics rather than physical ability, hitting those tight net shots and trying to force the short lift to end the rally.

So between doubles and singles I take two completely different attitudes, in singles I try to motivate myself and in doubles I focus on tactics and hitting the "correct" shot.

Azwok.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast