User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you have to take a complete different mentality between singles and doubles?

Voters
983. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

851 86.57%
  • NO

132 13.43%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it's singles, I usually take advantage of the opponent's footwork. I also usually take advantage of their edurance. That article in the techniques section was useful. Here's the site:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badm...nt/view/15/35/

Thanks Mag for writing that!

For doubles I just take advantage of the chaos. If you hit the shuttle to the middle of the court, there's a chance that the two might try to hit the shuttle. I usually do this with more inexperienced players. This is what I also hate in doubles. There's this constant confusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know for you guys, but for myself, being two people on court at once can somehow give the players a "safer" feeling. Of course, the tactics and all are different, as so many have mentioned, but I'd also like to bring up the psychological aspects. When playing, it always help to hear someone cheering and supporting you, whether it's the audience, the coach or the partner.

In singles, I would tend to feel rather stressed because all the pressure rests on my shoulders. In a losing situation, fear would start to creep into me because I would keep discovering, then forgetting, then discovering again, that the area to cover is really big and this really freaks me out. Whereas doubles relax me more because the players have mutual support. Through encouraging and receiving encouragements, one's confidence builds up quickly and easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BethuneGuy
    deception? When i think about doubles, deception is very, very, risky. It's all about maintaining the attack, unless you have crazy defence. I think doubles is more skill, and singles is more tactics. I really just feel it, can't explain.
    But if you are trying to maintain the attack or whatever , don't you need more tactics so that you and your partner can set up a chance to kill < attack > ? Skill is important in placement-wise ( getting the shuttlecock to where you want it to go ) , but in order to know where best to place it , it would require mental / tactics .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know about your meaning of deception. Personally, I think that deception is an integral part of the sport... singles or doubles. Deception means giving your opponents little to no signs to telegraph your intentions. It could also means misinformation or misdirection (the more obvious ones) but you have to be quick and really experienced to do those things against higher calibre players.

IMO, you have accomplished minimal deception if all your overhead strokes are identical as the other side have no way of anticipating your shots... that means they have to wait until you actually hit the shuttle before they move.

Quote Originally Posted by BethuneGuy
    deception? When i think about doubles, deception is very, very, risky. It's all about maintaining the attack, unless you have crazy defence. I think doubles is more skill, and singles is more tactics. I really just feel it, can't explain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi,
    i am a new member to the forum.
    I believe it does need 2 completely contrasting mentality for doubles and singles. I am more of a doubles player and would always be willing to smash most of the shuttles and perhaps the same may not be true in singles since getting back to net after smashing needs a lot of quickness.
    Also i heard somehwere that the professional doubles player are made to practice boxing to improve their ferociousness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum gama1234 ~!

< cappy , I think the answer to why BethuneGuy thinks deception is risky is the same reason why playing cross court shots in doubles are risky = not only are you fooling your opponents , but you might be decepting your partner as well ... just a thought >

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Don't be predictable

Crosscourt shots are risky only when you hesitate or do a backhander for crosscourt. Everybody expect a backhand shot to be weaker and often less accurate, guess what they would do when they know you got a weak backhand? They would pounce on it with lots of time to spare. Not many players could do a disguised backhand shot. When done well, an overhead forehand shot is a threat that looks like a threat. Therein lies the deception part -- you look like you have the option to smash when you're behind the shot, so you can do any shot that puts the pressure on the other side. When you're hit consistent quality downward shots, your opponents will always be under pressure and hesitate until the shuttle actually gets off your racquet. You only get into trouble when your opponents can anticipate your shot like observing your special stroke for a particular shot or when you use the shot too much in certain situation.

With doubles, it's only confusing for the net player when the back player lift or clear to push opponents back because then your team will have to rotate back to side by side... fast! Otherwise, your partner at the front will seldom have trouble staying on the offense as long as you hit downwards from the back... whatever shot it may be.

Remember that the back player has to setup for his partner at the front by forcing a midcourt lift or an opportunity netkill. The net player only has to block reachable high shots and/or kill weak returns, his only worries is a sudden lift or floater by his partner. He could setup his partner at the back more, but unless the back player is consistently hitting down strong and at the right places, the smasher will tire out fast regardless of strong stamina.

To minimize confusion, both players must be fast on their feet and recover to the right place at all time. Side to side defensive when the other side has the high shot, and back-front offensive when the other side takes the shuttle late. As soon as you recognise an opportunity for offense, you gotta jump on it! Rotation is a breeze when you got a solid regular partner who understands. When you're decisive, there's little room for confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbella122
    Welcome to the forum gama1234 ~!

< cappy , I think the answer to why BethuneGuy thinks deception is risky is the same reason why playing cross court shots in doubles are risky = not only are you fooling your opponents , but you might be decepting your partner as well ... just a thought >
    Last edited by cappy75; 06-26-2005 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh I see now ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chickenpoodle
    doubles play can feel like a real fight sometimes.
    but in singles, to me, it can almost feel like the rally is a dance.
    Totally agree!! Plus there are things in singles that you should try to avoid when playing doubles, therefore, definitely need to be careful!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

definate Yes...

my playsytl;e doesn't really change..but more my goals...
    I'm quite good at teh net...so that would mean:

-in singels i usually get a winner at the net (my youthfull speed being an advantage..) dropshots, and sharp smash to force another lift (repeat drop/smash) till he tries to net it back..wich will be defensive...and i can usually do a sharp netdrop. or score a winnings lob (a tight one. not really a lob)

-in doubles i tend to do whatever i can to give my partner a smashing chance. wic also requires net work..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Placement of shots, position, defensive/offensive tactics all change. in singles, you'd be running around everywhere and most of your shots would be effective due to your opponent being lone and having to cover court. Therefore you can still do an OK drop shot and the rally would continue. In doubles, there's always someone ready to pounce on it, bad drop equals kill by your opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the answer is quite obviously yes to me. anyone tried playing doubles for lets say... 1 week. then switching to singles? i have lots of problems doing that. if i were playing singles first then doubles i tend to go for every shot and run the risk of colliding with my partner. so now i stick to singles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by terror
    i think the answer is quite obviously yes to me. anyone tried playing doubles for lets say... 1 week. then switching to singles? i have lots of problems doing that. if i were playing singles first then doubles i tend to go for every shot and run the risk of colliding with my partner. so now i stick to singles
    know you feel...
    after a long time fo singles doubles are like "erhm..hwo did this work again?" but after a long time of double's it's more like "ahhh, singles, nice" maybe because the game is not so complicated as in doubles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i answered no because it's basically the same game when you play singles or doubles... rallying, counter-attacking, placements and variations in speed and movement is still there... for me, strategy on how to win is the main difference...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well im not quite sure if its "mentality", but i think you have to get used to each. There are obviously different strategies concering both and some maybe used as beneficial and some may not. In singles i find the exchanges a bit slower and its a bit more tactical. If you played with a person playing singles for a while and you having no singles experience, dont be suprised :P lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

absolutely yes.
    in single there is only 1 unknown. but in doubles there are 3!!! (i guess 2 if u're really close with your partner or something)
    single is so much more comfortable. i do what i gotta do. i know what i should do. any mistake from my side is mine. i can control the pace to what i like. it's like i have a full control of the game. but in doubles.. mehh..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Youngunz_77
    Well im not quite sure if its "mentality", but i think you have to get used to each. There are obviously different strategies concering both and some maybe used as beneficial and some may not. In singles i find the exchanges a bit slower and its a bit more tactical. If you played with a person playing singles for a while and you having no singles experience, dont be suprised :P lol
    Actually... I rather feel that because singles is slower, there are less tactics. There are holes everywhere... there are a few principals of attack like making them run as hard as possible for the most awkward shots and such, sure... But i don't find singles that mentally engaging, I find it comes down more to pure technical skills.

It's in doubles, where there are two opponents deffending the opposite court territory that there are few openings, and that's where you need tactics to make openings since it's relatively more difficult to break through.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast