User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default my forehand is weaker than my overhead

I'm a right handed person, I'm 16 and I'm from Malaysia
    Currently I'm using z force (not bragging)I find it quite heavy.guys when I receive shots from overhead I feel comfortable to hit them like smash and etc, but for the forehand side it feels awkward to hit,it doesn't feel comfortable is this have something to do with the footwork?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to explain more clearly which shots are uncomfortable. Are they high? Low? At the net? In the mid court? What grip are you using?

If you can tell us a bit more, we can help you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shots like clear which is very high making me feel alil bit awkward to hit back,I'm using v shape grip.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not understand - you said overheads are easy to hit, which includes the overhead clear. Do you mean round-the-head vs shots in the forehand corner? i.e. you find shots easy to hit overhead when they are on the backhand side, but not easy when they are on the forehand side?

If that is the case, your problem is probably footwork, but could be any number of things. If possible, post a video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    I do not understand - you said overheads are easy to hit, which includes the overhead clear. Do you mean round-the-head vs shots in the forehand corner? i.e. you find shots easy to hit overhead when they are on the backhand side, but not easy when they are on the forehand side?

If that is the case, your problem is probably footwork, but could be any number of things. If possible, post a video.
    Yea round the head shot is easier than the forehand

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then I can only suggest you need to work harder to get behind the shuttle - the hitting action is the same for both, so you shouldn't be struggling.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because the position is different, maybe you should adjust your grip and your stroke.

open your elbow, keep it faraway from your body

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds to me as though you may not be hitting the shuttle cleanly on your FH overhead or you're not getting behind the shuttle well enough.

May be your hitting action is ok, but at the point of contact, the face of your racquet is not "square". You will lose a lot of power if you don't hit it square.

Some people may tell you that you are not pronating well enough, my suggestion to you is to just concentrate on hitting the shuttle square and cleanly.

If you are not getting behind the shuttle, then yes, it is an issue with footwork.

It would help if you posted a video of you playing these shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this, if you are right handed,
    Expand shoulder, stretch bow action like, left hand up, right hand swing at 12-1 oclock highest position, the shuttle must be in front of you (not behind u). You can try search youtube for this clear action.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds to me like the timing of your arm extension and forearm pronation are out of sync a bit. That would explain why around the head shots seem to be getting more power. When the arm is constricted, by reaching around the head, it might force you to accelerate your pronation a little more. Maybe try to use more of your forearm with a more relaxed arm extension on forehand smashes.