User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you have to take a complete different mentality between singles and doubles?

Voters
983. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

851 86.57%
  • NO

132 13.43%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're right but i dont agree with this
    [quote=Jinryu] But i don't find singles that mentally engaging[quote]
    sometimes i do feel so much pressure from my opponent especially if he got his momentum going. and u dont have ur partner to cover you up. it's all up to you.
    there's equal amount of pressure for both singles and doubles, imho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, my bad. I didn't mean to say it's not mentally engaging at all or anything... I just meant, I don't have to think as much, strategically speaking. Mental toughness is something else. Sorry for not being clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya it feels like dribbling in soccer against 5 other players. feels good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yes & No

In doubles you're playing on the opponents, trying to take their space away, fast and hard, pushing them back to give you the space to win the rally. You know you can commit 110% full attack if you have confidence in your partner to support you.

In singles, you're moving your opponent where you need him/she to go so that the point is setup for you. BUT, singles is a funny game and people have funny styles. Knowing how to play fast doubles is always handy when you're up against a singles player who plays flat and later than conventional players. If you can pressure their natural style of playing, you will force the errors from them. It can also put conventional players off their style if you're always attacking them.

It will always come down to how much you know about your opponent(s).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I discussed the same thing about singles and doubles mentality with my coach. I use to play doubles, so when I made the sudden switch to singles, I found it hard not to smash every single high shot I received. Now, when I play doubles again, I still try to power through every rally and WIN the point instead of letting my opponent LOSE the point like I do in singles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technique-wise, I don't think your play would change in doubles or singles but I would say that the strategy should change drastically. In singles, to tire out your opponent you drop then clear (I wonder if anyone here read the 'triangle offense') but in doubles one if the main goals is to keep shots down -- your aim in doubles is to force the other team to lift. You would also have to adjust in terms of communicating with a partner -- in singles you have to run after every shot but in doubles rotation is very important and each partner has to know his or her area at a specific time, it wouldn't do for both of you to go running after a shuttle and leaving the rest of the court unguarded. 'Muscle memory' is also something that I think would need adjusting -- many doubles players sometimes drop to either corner of the net by instinct but if you try that in singles it'll be called out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i say yes, my main game is singles, i have lots of stamina(from football and tennis) and i use that to my advantage, i play a allround game, attacking agressively when my opponent is tired or off-guard and the rest of the time i let him make the mistakes most of the time but i also like jumping alot(trying to do less of that), that i think is a common singles mentality, and in doubles, i play 90% of my shots are aimed to the ground, to force the opponents to miss or lift the shuttle, then lots of jumping, rotation and fast rally's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You not change of mentality, only change tactics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, in doubles I allow myself to be lazier than singles, and smash more from the back, so not too much, but still a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i change styles. for doubles, i rush the short serve because i have a partner than can back me up if i end up in a bad position after my rush. in singles, i dont have that "safety net" in a partner so i must play more carefully. but for both, i focus on more netplay. i think that what goes on during netplay is most important for either singles or doubles because with good netplay, you can force short lifts for you or your partner which leads to better shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote yes.

In singles, good or near perfect footwork is important. In doubles how ever due to the presence of a partner one can get away with not so good footwork. In short, i use singles to improve my game. I much rather play doubles though. Its faster pace and more ppl get to play at one time. But i do agree with what somone said earlier...doubles makes me lazy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I don't know about getting lazy in doubles comparing to singles. You still have to move fast to the shuttle for optimal angle shot. Having a partner only means more coordination and communication, quite the challenge in itself when you're playing with someone new.

If you play with strong players who could move you about throughout the rally, you won't have time to stop. Even if you're at the front, you can't let your guard down or you'll most like hit the net.

Singles or doubles, how much of a workout you get is really dependent on how good the other side can give.

Quote Originally Posted by brady6 View Post
    Meh, in doubles I allow myself to be lazier than singles, and smash more from the back, so not too much, but still a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is more about court coverage, one just dont have to move form one corner to the other as often. Hence when one plays doubles too often one just find it harder to move from end to end. I think it is more a psycological thing rather then physical. But i must admint though, where i play, i get as much workout in doubles and singles. BUt where in singles i tend to end up with more tired legs in doubles i tend to feel like my arm is droping off.. But thats just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, a completely different mindset is required for singles as opposed to doubles. The mentality in singles is more "I'm not going to let the bird fall on my side." With doubles, it's a little more "I'm going to make the bird land on their side." In singles, I think there's a bit more patience. In doubles, you have to try to force an error or opening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am more a doubles player who play some of singles games if my team mates cannot make it, singles is definitely a percentage game for me and waiting on that one chance you get in a rally to seal the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, I've mostly played doubles, but now I'm thinking of playing singles as a specialty. I've found that in doubles, I'm more concerned with breaking the opposind defense with about 70% power, and 30% placement, etc. Singles, is mostly about driving your opponents around like crazy and cashing in on their mistakes. So 80% placement, 20% power. Also, the smash plays a different role in each game. For singles, it's a finishing move. As for doubles, it's normally used as a regular attack. I dont' smash in singles unless I know I'll get the point from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...where do i start ......

I play doubles most of the time, rarely play singles unless im "needed" ...so, thinking about the "change of mentality" required, i think playing doubles requires a lot of teamwork and also a plan of action/strategic plan between the pairs, as in, pairs should give each other breathers by swapping positions of front and back courts etc.

Singles however (for me) requires patience and a set plan by putting in power 40% of the time and control 60%, you are indeed alone on the court, so u have your own set of plan of action.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast