Change of mentality required: singles & doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jcl49, Apr 5, 2004.

?

do you have to take a complete different mentality between singles and doubles?

1. YES

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

hi
    When I switch between doubles and singles I have to take an entirely different mentality.

During Doubles, I tend to rush every single short and take it as soon as it comes over the net. As for singles, I am a percentage player seldom attacking. I often forget to "switch" ans end up loosing my first singles game after a night of doubles.

I wanted to know whether you
    a) have to
    b) don't have to
    take a complete different mentality between the two disciplines.

thanks, JL

2. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

PS for those who answered "no" and "have an attacking singles syle": are you superfit, because I don't have strong enough legs to jump smash AND run forwards to take net return.

thanks, JL

(I think I need to do more cardio)

3. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    I tend to play the same style in singles and doubles, because I tend to rely on a few well-placed smashes and basically just using tactics to out-maneuver the opponent. Currently, my stamina is quite bad so I can only do the jumpsmash a few times in singles, but for doubles, I jump quite a lot.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I answered no because I don't play alot of singles, and when I do play... it's attacking all the way. After 4 years of regular doubles, I lacked the endurance and patience for battle of attritions. Although I voted no, I do think singles' and doubles' differences are almost day and night, thus require different approaches. To be able to play attacking style and sustain it for at least two sets, one has to be super fit and focus. Patience and good stamina are basic for those who like to rally.

5. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i answered no, but i get the feeling that i may have misunderstood the question - anyway here goes...

i use the same mentality for both, simply because my mentality is simple - i must win. i build the rally until i see a winner, and then focus entirely on making that opportunity into a winnnig point - i do this over and over again until the game is won (or lost... :S)

hope this helps...

i am quite surprised at the number of people that have said yes tho - i agree you need to use different tactics for singles and doubles - that is obvious. but mentality wise it should always be the same..

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I feel singles is more of a controlled game where you and only you can make the difference in your game and as such have to be patient and wait for an opening, if your opponent is better then they are better, if they are worse they are worse. The best player on the day will win, there is less that can go wrong and you can controll more of your shots and where they go hoping to start a specific sequence of shots to lead to your eventual winner.

Doubles by it's very nature is mostly trying to force an error in most cases a lift from the opposition and seems to be more hurried and tense, in doubles there is more that can go wrong and you can't control what the other three players are going to do even at a high standard although you can have an educated guess or play the percentage game but in the end there are more variables and less controlled play which indicated a more hurried approach.

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I would say for myself I definitely make a change...

Although you may know that all of badminton is about some great shot placement, and basically out duelling your opponent(s)...

When it comes to singles, you must concentrate on some fantastic footwork, deep clears, tight drop shots, and some quick push shots when you go poaching at the net... a strong backhand helps too, for those shots that you just cant rush back to fast enough to hit. Also a nice jump smash when you are treated to a weak clear is handy as well.

Where as in doubles, it's all about the drives, smashes, drops, teamwork...
    A smart play will set your partner up for a good kill opportunity, which is something I like to do... it's also fun to make the opponents run all over the court scrambling for the shuttle :D

In singles, you have no one to blame but yourself for not reaching the shuttle quick enough to hit a proper shot.

That's all I've got to say...

-Kelvin

8. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

I answered yes. As a singles and doubles player, I tend to find myself having a different mentality towards each type of game. Obviously there are many differences between the two and therefore there are many different approaches you have to take to the respective game.

In doubles, it's usually looked at as a more attacking game; with high pressure from you and the opponents (drives, continuous smashing). With this in mind, a more aggressive mentality is present as you realize that you have to be more offensive in order to win. There are other factors (strategy in where and when to smash, etc), but you know what I mean.

As for singles, the offensive is not as much. Don't get me wrong, there is offense but we do see more clears and lifts. I believe, IMO because I play more singles than doubles, that there is more strategy in this type of game. With this, it requires you to concentrate on the strategy of the game (to move your opponent, when to make the shots) and concentration on shot placement, movement on the court (however this should come natural at a high level).

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Playing singles the way I do in doubles will open up voids to exploit, as I'm used to the formation and movement in doubles that it can happen almost automatically. In singles, I'd suddenly find that the 'other guy' is missing and I ended up in panic to reach every shuttle. I'm almost always in the crouched and ready position to receive that drop or smash, thus if the opponent lobs one over the head far away, I'd end up reacting a little slow.

Playing doubles the way I play single could make me do more unforced errors or ended up playing either too slow or too fast. Too slow because I try to become more 'graceful' and 'relaxed', or too fast because I didn't know the 'other guy' is there. I'd perhaps end up hit too often, trying those strokes to take that free space which would have been empty during singles.

Perhaps it's more of the type of player you are - I am more keen on contests of tactics and strategy than that of endurance and skills, thus I am very much a doubles guy.

Switch of mentality, yes.

10. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Yes, because "you" need to make every shot count!

All your mistakes (and points earned :D ) are solely yours.

And, you don't have a partner to help dig you out when you're in trouble! :eek:

Cheers!

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I think this mentality thing is quite obvious.
    If u look at pros in tournaments, how many of them play more than 1 event? very rarely like in canada because we are short of good players LOL and it explains why we suck :D

Recreationally, prolly not.

12. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    well i used ot eb a gud one at singles....started doubles...lost he consistency and placing accuracy of singles gradually....

means doubles and singles are entirely diferent u have to have a different mind set during singles then doubles

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    typo

If u look at pros in tournaments, how many of them play more than 1 event? Very rarely unlike in canada where we're short of decent players LOL and it explains why we suck :D

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I take a different approach in Singles and Doubles.. when i'm playing doubles.. i tend to end it as fast as possible. But in Singles.. my aim is to tire my opponent. Much slower paste in Singles. But in terms if shot making, for doubles sometimes i set some shots for my partner to kill.

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, for singles, I have to be watch out for every single shot and I always tell myself to be careful.

For doubles, I have to tell myself to be focus on the defense (for receiving smashes) because usually my partner (s) are pretty offensive. Also, I have less burden on the run in doubles :)

16. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

smash stance

I just realised why I am not able to play singles to save my life. I have a tendency of having a very slow recovery time after smashes (playing mostly doubles, my partner can cover for me). I smash and land on my left leg not rotating through 180 deg hence not resulting in the ready position.

When I play singles, I play best when I am attacking, but given my slow recovery speed after smashing, I can't cover the court if they get it back.

That is why I need to change mentality (hence this poll) from being attack driven, which in fairness is the normal doubles approach, to only attacking when I can kill.

JL

17. leehsim

leehsim Regular Member

do you have to take a complete different mentality between singles and doubles?

I voted YES.

Most of the time I play double. I play single whenever there is space to play to allow single playing.

The experience I have is that the double player have to set his mental mind to play the role according to the situation of that particular rally. Say if the playing is in the defensive situation, both players mentally have to think how to play in such a way so as to change defensive play into offensive one. If playing in the offensive position, the backcourt player mentally has to set his mind to control the play to set up situation for his forecourt partner to tap down any loose forecourt return; the forecourt player has to maintain in high alertness with steady hand to return and remember not to change any offensive play into defensive ie not to lift the shuttle if possible.

18. kouji

kouji New Member

Student
    in singles you just keep your concentration on that one person, but in doubles one has to think about their partner as well as their opponents.

19. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Good point kouji. In doubles you are up against two players at a time, so the doubles game is more tactical than skill-based.

20. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I feel that this is very significant because in Singles - you plan your strategy (i.e. you decide where to place your shots to exploit a weakness or for an error)
    In Doubles - your partner needs to understand what you are trying to do an vice versa and either provide cover or to execute the kill etc ....

This forces you to think about your shots and I think this changes the way a person plays ....

E.g. If I have a strong partner - I try to create opportunities for him to win points etc - whereas for a weaker partner it would be trying to cover his mistakes and not make too many of my own ....

In singles - you just have to do all these yourself !