Obliged to attend Japan Open?

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by Cheung, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Dear Jonas,

Since you are sponsored by Yonex, does Yonex ask top players to attend the Japan open?

I am curious because in one year, the Japan Open occurred without any preceding tournaments in Asia. There were some Danish players in the draw who had simply travelled all the way to Japan from Denmark just for the one tournament.

It just seems disruptive to disturb the players training programme for a trip halfway around the world to attend only one tournament.

I also notice that Japan Open is almost always attended by all the top Yonex players consistently. It cannot be just a coincidence...or is it? :rolleyes:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a related question. as a sponsored player and also a Yonex advisor, do you get the chance to visit the Yonex Japan HQ and manufacturing facilities?

3. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Yes!!

Yes. According to my contract I´m obliged to go to the Japan Open. If it´s completely impossible then it´s ok but I should try to arrange it so I attend the Japan Open as long as I´m contracted to Yonex.

I think it´s ok because Yonex´mainseat is in Japan and it means a lot to them to get all the topplayers to go the Japan Open.

I think if I ask to see the Yonex headquarters I could go there, but I don´t know if get the time.

Kind Regards

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Jonas, do you still have a busy schedule when you are in Japan? what do you do besides playing matches? do you still do training throughout the day?

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    During HK Open, various delegations have the practice courts booked. I think they have two hour sessions. Even if knocked out in the early stages, players will still have to go down to the practice courts until such time they have to get on the next flight. Probably the same happens in other tournaments.