Looking for an upgrade to the RKEP PRO 6000: RKEP XP70? Victor TK6000?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by justinwyyau, Oct 21, 2014.

1. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Hi all,

Looking for an upgrade to my RKEP PRO 6000 (295mm bp, 87g dry). It has and continues to serve me well but wouldn't mind a similar but more powerful racquet. I play mens double only.

I own the following racquets and my feedback on them are in summary:
    - APACS Tantrum 200 (sold): Can't remember the specs and it was a nice racquet but was slightly too stiff for me
    - Karakal Gel Lite Tour (sold: 290mm bp, 84g): Nice racquet, flexy and a little too light.
    - RKEP PRO 9000 (295mm bp, 87g): Good racquet and quite powerful but a bit unwieldy at times and also a bit too stiff for me
    - Yonex ARC8DX: Good racquet. Like it a fair bit but can't get much power out of it and slightly too stiff for me

So it seems my ideal stats for a racquet may be:
    - 85 - 86g (heavy 4U)
    - approx 295mm bp
    - about the RKEP PRO 6000 stiffness which seems to be about medium stiff

I have not been up to date with what's new and hot so I have narrowed it down to the following just by browsing through the forums:
    - RKEP XP 70 at about 85-86g 295mm bp
    - Victor Thruster TK6000 (Eric only has 85-86g and 292mm bp in stock - would this suffice?)

I have not looked at anything Yonex or Li-Ning (I am always confused by their range and put off by the prices) or other brands. So I am all ears for any recommendations of racquets to consider or reaffirmation that my two choices above are correct.

Thank you and kind regards,

Justin

2. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Man I'm confused about the TK6000. The one I measured in the shop was 88g strung and had a BP of 315. It might be medium-stiffness but it had a LOT of weight in the head. It felt head-heavier than pretty much everything I picked up (Except the freaky Voltric LCW which was 324).

From what you've told us, I'd take a seriously hard look at the Li-Ning N9. It felt really nice in the shop, and I think if you're in Melbs you'd be able to talk David @ The Victor Shop in Clarendon St down to about $200, strung. It's a very handsome racket :)

From the Victor range you'd be looking at the BS11, BS12, MX60 (Maybe slightly too head-heavy), JS-8PS.....that's about it. I think the 8PS and BS12 are probably closer to 295mm so they might be your first point-of-call.

3. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    The 292mm bp that Eric told me was stock unstrung so yea, am surprised too given the TK6000 thread says its head heavy. Had high hopes for it given its praise in its own thread.

Thanks for the N9 recommendation. Will look at it tonight but sneaked a few looks while at work and looks very handsome indeed. Will look over the Victors but somehow I am not that excited over them as they seem quite similar to my RKEP PRO 6000 but who knows.

Seems like David will be receiving a customer this weekend :)

Justin.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

A similar spec XP80 is exactly what you're looking for. You could've just asked Eric... ;)

5. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    Haha .. I know I know. I just wanted some opinions before asking Eric. I was contemplating the XP80 but somehow I am more drawn to the XP70 (it must the lime green colour)

I think it was also you that mentioned in the RKEP thread that the XP70 is slightly less stiffer than the PRO 9000 in play so it sounds very similar to the PRO 6000.

Ah decisions decisions ...

Justin

6. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    It's more beastly than people admit, even in 4U. Based solely on what you've said, I wouldn't be recommending it to you.

The Jetspeeds looked nicely made (David has all three in stock) but none of them were 88g so I skipped over them. The 5U was too light and the 3U were too heavy, but they're worth a fondle.

Of the rackets I rejected for being too headlight recently when I went shopping, the N9 was probably the pick. It just felt fast and solid and as a bonus, looks the business too.

If you go to Davids, say a gigantic white guy called Warwick sent you :)

7. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Am surprised...just as Maklike...!
    Seriously, bp of 292mm is pretty much an even balanced racket...

My two TK-6ooo in 4u:
    #1: 83.9g dry weight, bp (strung n overgrip) 297mm
    #2: 85.4 dry weight, bp (strung n overgrip) 302mm

As for weight, u have to reduce the measured weight by Eric by 2.5g for the double plastic wrapping around the handle.

Suggest to wait around for the next batch of TK-6ooo frm Eric n keep a lookout for one...

8. visor

visor Regular Member

The new white XP70 is a tad flexier than the old green 70. But XP80 is flexier still. So perhaps consider the new XP70.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

[MENTION=107099]TeddyC[/MENTION] the plastic around the handle will also affect BP...

10. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    So got myself a BS12 and have been playing with it for at least a month. Strung it with NBG98 at 23 pounds and it plays really really nicely.

But unfortunately, age is catching up and with niggling pains to my elbow and at times my shoulder, I am looking for a flexier racket. I don't get pains playing with the BS12 as I do for my other stiff rackets.

I can clear easily from base to base, though my smashes are lacking. Any suggestions for a 295 - 300 mm BP racket that is flexier than a BS12?

*edit*
    Potentially the TK6000 as initially shortlisted but judging by its stiffness rating, I fear it may play as stiff as the BS12. I am considering Fleet or APACS models (AVP / Slayer 88) as well.

Justin

#10 justinwyyau, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

Flexier than BS12? It's already quite noodly flexy...

Perhaps 4U TK6000, 4U BS11?

12. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    So I thought too myself but I have realised that my swing speed is too slow and forearm strength is too weak to bend it consistently. Don't get me wrong, I can feel it flex, but its a required effort which I painfully have to admit that I cannot achieve 100% of the time :(

Justin

13. visor

visor Regular Member

You still haven't gotten an XP80 yet? That is flexier than BS12... simply because it's head heavier around 295-300mm bp.

14. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    No, I ended up getting the BS12 instead :)

I have read the RKEP and BS12 threads and people have commented that the XP80 has the same stiffness as the BS12. If that is the case, I'll avoid it for the time being. Eric only stocks them in 295mm bp now (just checked his ebay page)

For comparison purposes, my BS12 came in at 293mm bp dry.

Am back in Malaysia, so will go and fondle a lot of rackets.

Justin

15. 100minus

100minus Regular Member

I also found the BS12 stiff for myself. Wrist not strong as I do not spend the time to train with weights. I will suggest to u the F9 which feels like a low 3U and has 293 BP (with original grip replaced by rubber grip and 0.65 string). Among high end 3U models the F9 is the least stiff I have seen. The BS12L and JS8ST also less stiff than BS12, they are still stiffer than F9, but having lower BP.

#15 100minus, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

In MAS, Apacs have some very flexy ones.

17. 100minus

100minus Regular Member

Apacs racket mostly 30T and 40T shaft models don't have maximum repulsion more suitable for old men game.