Victor thin towel grip reel?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Mark A, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'm after the reel version model number - if there is one - of the Victor GR334 (thin) towel grip, or an equivalent. Any ideas?

If not, is there a thin towel reel from another brand I can try? The Victor 1025 is a running a bit thick for me.

2. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    I have been using AC402DX,but it doesnt come in reel type,only pack type.
    That is the only ,and the best towel grip ever used.
    easy to grip especially for those who loves to have a bigger butt for my handle!
    IT JUST DOnT COME IN REEL type! T.T

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Good shout.

The thicker versions don't conform around changes in curvature, as I'm sure you know - cap-to-shaft and shaft-to-cone end up looking weird.

I've just ordered an Ashaway grip to try - it's listed as "towel grip/overgrip"... could be the one for me, and it comes on reels.

I'll let you know - might save you a few quid as well;).

#3 Mark A, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    yeah man! let us know the result! it looked so awkard on the butt and things got worse from wooden handle to cone!.... i got 5 reels of the victor towel grip inside my acce bag and i doubt whether i still gonna use it or not..ouch! (only use it for my n90) LD unorthodox grip!:D

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The rkep towel grip is thinner than than the Victor 1025.
    Strangely I found my last couple reels of 1025 slightly thicker than they were before and they are becoming borderline for me too.
    I have tried the Ashaway towel grip but unless it has changed in the last couple years then it is about the same thickness as v-1025
    I tried the thinner Victor towel grip and it is thinner (obviously) but for me the grip loses it's purpose as it is not great for absorbing sweat for very long even with tons of grip powder

The thinner victor towel grip was just individual btw, I have never seen it in a reel so sorry can't help you there.

#5 craigandy, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I got my last Victor reel from Eric - might go for his own next time... it is cheaper, actually.

Also found a Wilson towel that's 0.6 mm... i really can't see how that can have enough pile to be called a towel grip, but it's definitely worth a look. Can only find it in white, though.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

It is a lot cheaper given that it is 12m roll too. Still I prefer the victor 1025.
    That was the problem with the thinner victor actually, not enough pile, basically only good for people who don't have sweaty hands and for some reason just like the feel of archaic gripping:D

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I asked Eric about his grip vs Victor, and he said his weighs 200 g per reel compared to 280 g for the Victor. Roughly 30% lighter... = 30% thinner?

Doing my nut in, this. Still, people "complain" that the Ashaway is too thin...:)

(And Winston does a bulk deal on the Yonex 402DX - something else to consider.)

9. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    How i wished they could produce the dx in role type.. instead of the ex....

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Here is my take on the RKEP grip compared with others. It is felt marginally thinner but thinner all the same than the Victor c-1025 grip but to me did not feel 30% thinner. The towel did not last as long as the c-1025 and did not feel quite as good to me on first usage either. Saying this rkep towel was better in feel and longevity than the thinner victor gr334. Ashaway felt same as victor c1025 but it might have change as I have not tried it for couple years.

Is that weight comparison right?? because rkep reel is 12m and victor reel only 10m so per metre rkep - 16.7g and victor - 28g

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Ah - my mistake. Eric said 12 m @ 280 g for REKP and 10 m @ 280 g for Victor.

Longevity isn't really an issue, to be fair - I have three rackets playing at such high tension that I have to swap them out every six or seven sessions as it is:).

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ah I see, I was more talking about within the one session, for instance, One session even heavy on grip powder and toward the end my grip can be at complete saturation so it is a problem for me having enough pile. Grips dry out and I use them for another 3/4 sessions but then they are done. the thinner ones don't last the night and when the dry I get couple more sessions only.
    Are you using Victor string? I used vs850 for a bit really nice string but at 28lbs only four 2hr sessions max and snap, needed to go back to bg65.

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My hands don't sweat very much, but I use Resin rather than powder, so the pile tends to "bobble" towards the end of the grip's life.

String? Not VS850 any more - it just isn't capable of 30/31 in its new incarnation.

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

could you link the resin please?

Sorry you mentioned swapping your rackets out due to tension is why I bruoght string up. That's a shame about VS-850 because I really liked it. did it's old version hold up better?

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

http://www.resinpad.com/ - you can get them off ebay cheapest, I reckon. Insane tackiness - best I've ever found.

I used the old VS850 at 30/32 with no problems; the new one... wouldn't trust it much past 27, tbh.

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Cheers mate and Re the VS850 that's a real shame

17. Halcyon.Days

Halcyon.Days Regular Member

Are they good for sweaty palms? I know they are meant to enhance grip but when you say tacky, I immediately think slippery when wet.

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

No, not slippery:) - you can pretty much open your hand and the racket will stick to your palm.

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Good point Halcyon. What if the towel grip does get damp/wet does is it still work? reason I ask is sweat manages to reach my handle regardless if my palms are dry.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've ordered a few 402DX from Winston - I'll let everybody know how they stack up against the 1025.

God help me if I like em... they ain't cheap:D.