print magazine for badminton in English

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pcll99, Oct 24, 2014.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Most Olympic sports have print magazines in English. Badminton is one of the few sports that doesn't have a print magazine published in English. Hope BWF will do something about it.

As a start, I hope the magazine will publish articles originally in other languages (eg, Chinese, Korea, Japanese, Indonesian, Danish) but translated into English for the magazine.

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Do you mean a bwf official magazine?
    I know badminton England did/do a printed magazine in English, not sure about other english speaking countries but I am sure there will be a couple at least.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Thanks, I didn't know there is such a magazine by Badminton England.

I was hoping for a print magazine which is global in its target readers and coverage of stories.

Yes, an official print magazine by BWF would be great.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    BWF regularly publish articles on their own website. and they have the weekly video program call "badminton unlimited" in youtube, which is really really impressive production, you should check it out.

the progress by BWF in the media front has been rather impressive, from 10 years ago when they had hardly a worthy website to a lot of engagement in producing material today.

yes there is no physical print magazine, but to be honest, that's already a bit old school in this day and age.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

http://touchline.digipage.net/courtside/issue21/

There is a link for the latest issue in digital format, but if you really want printed copies of all these badminton magazines then just buy a printer:p No just joking, if there was a good world badminton magazine I would surely buy it too

#5 craigandy, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    thanks.

Ever wonder or try to recall what happened in March 2007 in the world of badminton? or December 2009? Remember how SS Finals was started?

10 years from now, you will want to remember what happened in October 2014. You will want to remember what happened to LCW, as reported by the local press in Malaysia.

I think the best way to do it is by print magazine. And BWF is the best organization to do it. BWF, Member Associations, and major manufacturers (eg, Yonex, Li Ning, Victors, adidas) should pay most of the bills. Public libraries, universities and colleges from around the world will pay for the subscriptions, if the magazine is official publication of BWF. A few thousand die-hard fans would be happy to pay US$5 per month, I would think.

Besides, I am sure fans in Europe want to know what is happening in Asia (and vice versa), but can't because of language barrier. People in China wants to know what is happening in Indonesia, etc.

If BWF wants to make badminton a truly global sport, a print magazine in English is the best way.

#6 pcll99, Oct 24, 2014
  7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I agree with many things you say. Luckily we (europeans) have badminton central for Asian news being translated and asian baddy news in general hopefully it will still live in 10 years+, also most Malaysian news bodies online are in available in English. With regards to the magazine I would prefer to buy one that was independent of BWF, because an official one would have no gossip/opinions or opinions on BWF. I mean I am all for accurate journalism but surely a BWF official magazine would be a bit bland and biased.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    You are quite right. We have Justin L to thank as he is kind enough to translate a lot of stuff written in Chinese. But there are many languages out there: Korean, Japanese, Danish, etc.

There is a few advantages to an "official" magazine:

(i) you can guarantee subscriptions from all major libraries and colleges/universities from around the world.

(ii) BWF can negotiate translation agreements with all major badminton magazines relatively easily.

(iii) All the major manufacturers will sign up (ie, Yonex, Victors, Li Ning, adidas). I am shocked that none of them has any ads on badzine or BadmintonCentral!!!! Can you imagine Yonex or Victor not placing any ads in the official badminton magazine? Maybe Paul Eric Larsen can squeeze a few thousands dollars (per month) from adidas, too.

(iv) BWF already has a group of staff travelling around the world more than a few times a year (eg, official photographers). Having one or two people extra from the official magazine department won't cost BWF a lot of money.

#8 pcll99, Oct 24, 2014
  9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah fair enough, it would be nice, I would subscribe.

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The Ontario Badminton Association used to publish a lovely glossy newsletter magazine. I don't quite remember what the frequency was, though. :(

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hats off to those who actually go through the work to create a printed magazine.

it is easier to publish something online. as long as there is content, just dump it on a website.

for printed magazine, not only need to figure out the content (need to chase the writers for content as there is a publishing deadline!) , also need to do layout, printing, marketing distribution, so much more work and cost involved.

13. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I think a pdf should be enough. There is no need to print it.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    thanks. website is much quicker. It's free. We all wish thank you kwun and the mods for your hard work.

But having hard copies of a global magazine (or newsletter) on a regular basis has many advantages, especially from the biggest badminton organization in the world:

(i) How did the Super Series start? Why was the first SS Masters Finals cancelled?

(ii) What did Nova say to this fans when he retire? What about JJS? or LHJ? or Peter Gade?

(iii) Do you want to know more about Carol Marin?

(iv) Why is the BWF World Championship held every year except the Olympic year? How was this decided?

(v) Do you want to know the reactions from top coaches or players (or former players) from around the world to LD vs LCW 2013?

(vi) Just what exactly was the WD scandal in London 2012? What were the reactions of the pundits? How did the president of the IOC react?

(vii) What happened during the BWF AGM 2014? Who said what?

(viii) want an official explanation as to how hawkeye work? Will they change the scoring system? what are the pros and cons for the change? what do the pundits have to say?

(ix) Did you know LD just sign with Yonex? Want to know more?

I suggest the official magazine ought to have its companion website, with seamless integration with the BWF youtube channel and BWF website and weibo/twitter/facebook accounts.

#14 pcll99, Oct 24, 2014