Racket sensor by Sony

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by colekwok, Oct 24, 2014.

1. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Sony has this 'Smart Tennis Sensor' introduced recently.

http://www.smarttennissensor.sony.net/NA/

Don't be so happy yet, it is not even on sale. But imagine if it can bring the technology to other racket sports in the near future, it would be fantastic.

[video=youtube;CppNtWPPpfo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CppNtWPPpfo[/video]

Take a look at how it performs with a Yonex tennis racket here. As I do not speak Japanese, I just don't know how accurate about the hit location and how quick it can record. Recording the fast intervals of badminton shots and swings may be a bit more difficult for this device, it seems. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to seeing it being used. (Especially with the involvement of Yonex, and Wilson).

#1 colekwok, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. phili

phili Regular Member

Babolat already has such tennis rackets on sale called Babolat Play. Not sure if it is any good for badminton though. The rackets might get too heavy or too fragile.

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I play badminton to get away from technology.

4. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I guess then my grandchilds would be able to play with the racket that has Android 20.0.2 integrated, plus with heart rate sensor, proximity sensor, thumb-print sensor, compas, speed sensor, NFS, 8G/wifi, bluetooth 13.0, 64GB memory, 4GB RAM, laser-string 0.62mm, Lithium 5600mAH, and all at the weight of 69gr.

5. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    You forgot gyroscope.

6. Halcyon.Days

Halcyon.Days Regular Member

The advancement of technology is inevitable. Just think how many people still play with Carbonex 20's. An awesome racket in its day but "out of date" now.

With regards to this Sony racket sensor thing, I can imagine how useful it would be for coaching.

7. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

Seems to me that technology would be only useful for coaching in most sports.
    Most sports organizations(Such as BWF) would never let technology interfere with sports. If technology does become a part in sports, it would become a game where the team with better technology wins the game, not the player's skill.

But I would love to see a device that can pull string tension automatically without having to restring them......:p
    Hate it when the tension wears off and you can't even snap them while playing since it gets too spongy.

8. Halcyon.Days

But that would also mean the string has lost its elasticity right? It's not only about tension loss. Once a string is past its optimum level, re-tensioning will not necessarily bring back its playability.

9. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Here's an idea - how about we just play and have fun? I really despise the influx of technology where it's not needed, where its insideously inflicted upon us under the guise of 'making things better' when all it does is ensave us to the technology for negligible benefit. Something like this wouldn't make badminton better or more enjoyable, in the same way that mobile phones haven't made us better communicators.

Although if it taught Orangenetic the meaning of 'elastic' and 'elastic limit', I'd definitely pitch-in 10 bucks for someone else to buy it for him. :)

10. orangenetic

Oh yes stringing again isn't that expensive and the feel of new string is awesome
    But i'm sad to say 10bucks won't do the job for me....
    My nearest stringer(shop owner) is just Awful at stringing....every time I let him string, my racket comes back in a squashed shape. Either squashed from the side or squashed from the top. I'm not actually sure he knows the main, cross tensions. (And he does use a manual machine so the tension isn't perfect)

I'd love to buy a stringing machine amd string my rackets myself but damn they're too expensive :(

11. Halcyon.Days

orangenetic, I'm sure you can find another reliable stringer somewhere in your city.

12. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Well, without the technology driving our sports, we may probably still be using wooden rackets. In my opinion, we should embrace the technology available to us. That is why we have Eagle Eye in all major badminton competitions. And there is always rules and regulations to ensure a level playing field.

13. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I never said technology is bad. It's not driving sport, it's driving itself.

14. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Will they ever invent a glow-in-the-dark badminton matress? Imagine, all the venue surrounding is covered with pitch black, couple of hi-tech spotlight cover the 2or4 players on court, the matress is glowing itself, while the shoes & possibly the shirt/pant are also glowing brightly (like in movie Step-Up 3). The racket itself should be made shining too, like the sword in starwars. By then, we would be sure technology has taken over badminton completely.

15. orangenetic

Well, in korea we already have LED shuttlecocks........(recreational)

16. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I'm pretty sure the humans playing will have trouble seeing. Unless the glow-in-dark materials will glow for long enough and the courts are fairly bright enough for the human eyes to see.

17. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I don't think he was serious.....but this is Badminton Central after all, so you can never be too sure. :D

18. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Lol! I was actually very much in hope that one day, badminton will go up to the next level, involving all hi-tech (and not only eagle eye) on every aspect of the game. Afterall, the badminton matches in 1975 if compared to today's badminton...has indeed leveled up in many aspects (clothing, colorful shoes, rackets, bags, towels, wrist band, rules)