Should I get badminton shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by kcgenki, Oct 24, 2014.

1. kcgenki

kcgenki New Member

I have always used volleyball shoes for badminton, more so now since it sounds like it provides more cushion. A friend told me to try badminton shoes (said I would move slightly quicker), but I'm just worried my feet will feel sore wearing thinner sole shoes.

Currently wearing gel-blast 4/5's. Need to change insoles almost 3-4 mths, I play at most 6hrs a week, with 3 hours as more recreational (with wife :) ) Tried many insole brands (Sof sole, superfeet-orange and Dr. scholls active/athlete), Dr scholls seems to last longest for me before my feet are sore after games.

Thanks in advance!

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Gel Blast are not volleyball shoes but a handball model; well enough suited for badminton (but since nobody plays handball in North America they probably marketed it as a volleyball shoe :rolleyes:). The Gel Beyond is a volleyball shoe but many badminton players wear it anyway, something closer to the floor is the Gel Blade ... (another insole you could try is the Spenco Total Support)

And of course there are the badminton brands I totally forgot about for a moment like Victor and Yonex.
    In short: no need to upgrade right away but you could consider something else next time ...

#2 demolidor, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Volleyball shoes are bad for badminton players.

They are advertised as "court" shoes by the makers and by the stores selling them just so they don't have to produce/carry shoes made for other sports.

In reality, while Volleyball shoes have very good cushion to absorb shocks, it does not come without disadvantages. The outsole will usually be thicker, which will put your feet higher than you would want above the floor. Additionally, volleyball shoes lack the side support and stability that badminton shoes have for lateral movements which can lead to injuries or additional stress on your muscles/articulations.

While these so called court shoes are usually better than running shoes for badminton, you should definitely consider something else next time you buy shoes for badminton as demolidor said.

Having sold shoes for multiple sports in the past, I can honestly say that badminton shoes are actually very well made and totally worth their price considering the high end models actually cost half the price of high end models in other sports. They are so all around good that a lot of other sports are starting to use them (cosom hockey, fencing, handball, volleyball, etc.).

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Now that is something very interesting. Makes me think I should stock up on badminton shoes before prices go up!

5. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I don't think they'll go up by much any soon :p

Price is a HUGE factor in badminton and as soon as the big brands decide to increase their prices, smaller brands like Apacs will be right there to pick up all the people who want to save on shoes!

But yeah, we're pretty lucky with our prices at the moment. High end badminton shoes go up to 150-160$, while I've see shoes that cost up to 300$ in other sports which is insane!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I wonder if Kwun would consider adding that fact to his article on badminton shoes being the most important piece of equipment. It would help badminton people realise how good a deal they get and thus encourage more to buy the proper footwear.

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Probably. There will never be enough emphasis made on the importance of wearing proper shoes and some people learn that the hard way.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Half the danish national team play on these Asics "volleyball" shoes, the Beyond ... but you are probably thinking more of the typical volleyball shoe look ofcourse like the GEL Elite and various Mizuno's (Lightning, Bolt, etc.)[​IMG]?

#8 demolidor, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Asics has 1 model that was made/is suitable for badminton, I do not know its name though. Maybe it's this one ? Apart from that, I've never seen Asics shoes that are good for badminton (different countries carry different lines of course).

But sponsorships are mostly about the money, you'd probably be able to make any team play with steel rackets if you throw enough money at them :p

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D yeah the Gel Blade is the designated badminton shoe but I've seen a few more models in use by players on tour besides the Beyond (ironically the Beyond is by far the one more in use, on the tour). But if we take Vittinghus as an example: he is a Carlton player and they only recently have some models of their own so only logical he has some freedom in selecting shoes. Could be Carlton asked him to at least not wear Yonex but that was never an issue with Eric Pang and Palyama when they were with Carlton (and Yao Jie for that matter). Tine Baun in her Babolat days always wore Asics Beyond as well ...
    [I'm even watching a Chinese table tennis player in national team Li-Ning outfit wearing Mizuno (table tennis )shoes right now!]
    One Dutch NT player actually had to get medical clearance to get out from under the NT Yonex contract shoewise for a certain Asics pair but we can call that a special case ...

But I did notice the Asics selection in North America was a little smaller than in Europe a while back ...

#10 demolidor, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  11. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

So this could probably solve the problem why I slipped couple of times when wearing my mizuno Wave lightning

12. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I am usually a Yonex shoes person in the past and have the latest shb f1 Ltd model same as Carolina Marin. Unfortunately these shoes gives me cramps in the foot so I was a bit disappointed with my AUD$130 odd purchase.
    Recently I bought these which are Asics gel rocket 6. Almost half the price and I think are volleyball shoes but definitely very comfortable. I haven't had my usual foot cramp or shin splint pains after playing badminton so I can definitely recommend these shoes to others for badminton.
    I've had like four other members of my club buy the same shoes and they like this model as well.
    So doesn't matter the brand or price or which sport it was originally designed for, but as long as they're comfortable and perform well.

Attached Files:

13. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Here is a Li-Ning Badminton Shoe review that may help others understand technologies that go into a shoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roMJeB-PeyM&feature=youtu.be&list=UUsstOJ9Bcnv4KhM5jUaJ2Rw

14. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Yes, badminton shoes definitely are not the most comfortable shoes ever, and they shouldn't be. Obviously, playing with shoes that hurt or give cramps isn't good, but being comfortable in a shoe does not mean the shoe is any good. Else I'd just run around with my 20$ Kirkland running shoes and not worry about anything else :p

Many players that use Volleyball/court shoes think their shoes are just fine until they get an injury caused by (or helped by) insufficient support from their shoes. I think these shoes are a risky pick for anyone playing above the beginner/intermediate level.

15. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

16. leongwaipak

Accountant
    So getting cramps and shin splints in proper badminton shoes won't lead to injury?

17. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I think you missed this part: :p

18. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Maybe it call help sales at Le Coin Badminton! :D

19. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Your comment was:

I'm saying I don't get any more shin splints or cramps in my foot anymore with non badminton specific shoes, yet you are making an assumption that your now likely to get an injury with these non badminton specific shoes.

So have you tried these non badminton shoes and did you get an injury from them, or are you making general assumptions without personal experience?
    I'm just saying that yes the opening poster should get badminton shoes but should consider trying other court type shoes that have been more comfortable and injury free for myself personally.

20. hargo911

hargo911 Regular Member

business
    These are the lightest shoes i have ever had. They come with air flow and shock abrsorber insole. At the moment only available in indonesia. Retail price in US dollar about less than $30. Many club players are wearing them. Good shoes at very reasonable price. So far i am pretty happy with them.

Attached Files: