giving w.o. in tournament and playing league afterwards

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Beta2k, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

2. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

short update from my side: two me there are two options this may have been handled.

1) player breaches code of conduct 3.4. "Early departure from tournament" and has to pay a $250 fine, if it was the first time. else $500.

2) he felt sick (or something similar) and could get a "legal w.o." from a doctor. so no breach of code of conduct. if this would be the case, i'd be curious in how this would be handled if officials find out that he played national league match the same day.

for 2) i also have another question: how can a player "walk over" at a tournament? does he have to go to a official tournament doctor and report some sort of illness/injury in order to be allowed to w.o.? i could not find anything about this procedure in the bwf regulations.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    That's a good find, and an very interesting question!

Now that leagues and more lucrative endorsements are finding badminton, I think we will find more instances of such things happening in the future, along with worse things like match-fixing, spot-fixing and the like. :(

BWF had better get more active with their whistleblower hotline and with proactive measures.

4. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

yes. still, austrian league is not that lucrative. however, for kissyov it might have been in this very situation.

and it i am still very interested in how this was handled, and if tournament officials have identified the breach of code of conduct as explained above, or if they just accepted his w.o. without doing anything?

again, my question: if a player wants to w.o. in a tournament, does he have to go to a doctor who has to create a medical certificate? i mean, okay, he could still say he twisted his ankle, etc. and they would have to believe him, i guess. i'd love to have some official information from the organizers, but i doubt this is possible.

5. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

same thing happened at austrian open.
    zavadsky gave w.o. to karunaratna and played german league the same day...