Make up of BF's members

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by cappy75, Apr 6, 2004.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Kwun,

I was looking at the newly partitioned regional forums and wondered about the regional makeup of our membership. Are there any way we could find out the distribution of nationalities?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hey, i had the same idea! :)

back in October or so when free time was more available. i wrote a little script that goes through the whole user DB and the figures out from either the location field or the IP address, etc, where each user come from. i actually shown Cheung the result when he was here.

but the script wasn't 100% automated and there were still a lot of hand post processing needed.

anyway, i haven't touched it since and it will be need to be updated to work with the new software. unfortunately, i will be very busy till the end of the month, maybe i will dig it up and play with it some more.

either that, or if you are a programmer or someone very literate with Excel, i can send you some distilled version of the data (with just the location and IP address) and you can figure out how to format it nicely..

3. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    How are you going to take account of those who leave their location details blank or vague and connect to the net via proxies? Surely I'm not the only person who has been so paranoid about the use of personal data that he would do this? :rolleyes:

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for those with proxies, too bad, they will not be counted. afterall, that's what they wanted by using the proxy, so that their info won't be disclosed. ;)

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Kwun,

Argh! Sorry... can't help out in this area. I am not a programmer and I hardly used Excel during my university years:(. I think it'll be cool to get an idea of the BF demographics. I certainly hope that people don't mind to at least tell us which countries they're from.