Doubles Racket (SOTX Woven 7 equivalent) recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by qyle95, Oct 26, 2014.

1. qyle95

qyle95 New Member

Hi guys,

I'm not very familiar with badminton gear, but I've been playing for quite a few years.
    I usually play doubles (very rarely singles) and I really like to smash or drop from the backcourt. Technical skills I'd rate myself as intermediate, but my footwork is quite a mess and my wrist is not powerful at all. Backhand is quite powerless too. :crying:

I have been using the SOTX Woven 7 for quite a while now and I really like the feel of it but it's my friend's and he's gonna part ways with me soon and I have to return it to him. I really like how it's head heavy but the racket itself is not very heavy. I can't really feel the difference between a very stiff and med stiff racket. I hit the rim quite a lot (~15% of the time). It's currently strung at 25 lbs.

I'd like to ask help from this community to recommend a racket that plays like SOTX Woven 7, maybe a slightly lighter racket will work even better (not too light though). Another thing that will be a plus is a bigger sweet spot.

Price and brand wise, I really don't care. I like to keep the options open and decide from there. Please help me out! Thanks everybody! :D

2. qyle95

qyle95 New Member

BUMP~
    Really could use some help out there!

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I'm not a head-heavy guy myself, but I do fondly remember the Woven 7. :)

You might like the Mizuno T700. Probably a little stiffer, about equal or slightly less head-heavy, and lighter overall, if memory serves me correctly. It's older but still available here at a good price:
    http://www.sohubuy.com/slist.asp?factory=mizuno&sort=2

4. biomik

biomik Regular Member

I have one SOTX Woven 7 sitting in the closet with no action lately. PM me if interested.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Probably not that good an idea ;):

I have 3 myself and it's not a very easy racket to use. But the sohubuy page is obsolete anyway, this racket is not listed on the new e78 page anymore; the Luminasonic 9 (or 7) might be a better fit anyway, or for something closer to W7 the 2U Ti-10 III (or 3U now that I read lighter is welcomed) or maybe Tantrum 300 Apacs even? Some say W7 is heavy overall but not headheavy and the specs suggest the same but the OP thinks it's light overall and headheavy :D. Is it the Woven 7, 7i or 7a??

biomik's offer might be the best option in the end anyway ...

#5 demolidor, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

@ demolidor : Thanks for the note about obsolete sohubuy site. As for ease of use of TC700, I sold mine to an older gentleman whose whole game is touch with no power at all. Yet it suits him to a T. Apparently, Beauty (or in the case, a Beast) is in the eye of the beholder. ;)
    __

The OP no doubt wants more (and probably up to date) racket suggestions. Hopefully others will chip in.

Also: biomik is an honest guy, so that's a viable deal too.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[​IMG] Maybe should've put it differently as it does handle superbly but not easy to maximize the power (bearing in mind we have a player that doesn't even own his own racket; or just prefers the W7 over all his own?)

9. qyle95

qyle95 New Member

Hey guys,

I appreciate the input!

On top of what you guys are talking about, I have people suggesting me Arcsaber 11 as a doubles racket, also kinda "even" balance. This will be kind of off-topic.

I'm actually concerned about this as people has been pointing this out to me: when I play near the net using Woven 7, I almost always lose the point (generally I'm bad at the net). So I'm thinking of improving my techniques rather than trying to maximize power. Would you guys think the Arcsaber 11 is a good choice?

10. qyle95

qyle95 New Member

Hahahaha I do own some rackets, I just don't like em! Anyways power is definitely not my strong part.