Peter Gade Observation..

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Matt Ross, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    I'm no singles expert, but from watching him at this years AE there is one thing that i think Gade needs to work on...

Do not think i am critisizing his game, by all means, i am glad to see he is back to form as the rest of you are, but there is one thing i noticed, especially against the strong retrievers (Roslin etc).

Gade has that favourout cross court slice from the fore-hand corner, yeah ok it's a good shot, but get someone with speed, and the Chinese will pick this up quicker than anyone, then that shot will become less effective. I saw him do it so many times during the AE.

BUT the thing that caught my eye about Gade is the lack of commitment on the net. He would play a great smash or slice, which would force a weak net reply. However, he doesnt seem to do alot with the shuttle when it is there, it seems as if he is scared that a) he'll hit the net or b) they will retrieve it back, meanin a lack of commitment on the net and a 'nothing' shot is created. Anyone else noticed this lack of commitment on the net? With the net being so important in Singles nowdays, i feel this is an area he must work on.

2. Morten

Morten Regular Member

I agree a bit with you. Gade has changed his style since the late 90´s. When he entered the big tournaments in 1996 he was a very agressive player attacking every shuttle with a hard smash og a slice. Around the Olympics in sydney he changed style to an all round player stille using his offensive style but with various shots instead of just smashing. Gade consider this all round offensive style as the way badminton should be played. He lacks a bit when it comes to using different tactics because he has idea of the" way badminton should be played". That's why he has so much trouble fighting these defensive players like Roslin and Lee hyuin Ill. Gade has however gained some experience in his 8 years on the tour and is now able to stay calm as he wasn't in WC 99, 01 and in the Olympics in sydney. These 3 tournaments would have been with Gade on top if he had the experience he has now, as I see it he only needs to gain 5% in stamina, because now he can beat the player like Wong and Lin Dan convincily in 1st set but needs the last physical power to remain on top. If he can become some stamina before the olympics I think i´ll consider him as my favourite even with Lin Dan on 100%

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I noticed that also Matt, his attack is very good, and get lots of people in trouble, but when he gets to the net (he gets there in time), he plays a net shot high above the net, instead of hitting a quick drive or kill. Yes his net play is very good, and he does (usually) get the lift back, but this more patient play, although good and more singles like, is not suited to his lack of stamina.

4. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

could be strategy. He could be playing like that to make the Chinese think that he has changed and suddenly changes his style when he reach the finals in Athens at the critical moment.

Say he meets Lin Dan in the final, wins the first set just the way he played in the AE and suddenly changes in the second set to be an all out aggressor, that'll be a nasty surprise for everyone wouldn't it? :p

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Gade hasn't started talking about his retirement yet, so obviously he still feels motivated, but he knows as well as anybody that he's not getting any younger. I also think that his injury has further made him realize the importance of a less taxing style of play.

My guess is that Gade plans to be around for a few more years. What we are seeing now is Gade going through a transition phase. Deconstruction and reconstruction. He just hasn't reached where he wants to be yet, maybe he hasn't even found out where that is, but it's clear that he doesn't intend to go back to his "old" style. We don't know what his long-term goals are, but I'm sure it lies beyond Athens.

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    It made me wonder if he is trying to come up with a new style of playing?

I watched the VCDs when he was young and compares to what he is now, I think he is "trying" to use his head to play better badminton, but, sometimes things just didn't work out right. His way of playing is smart, but somehow just not aggressive enough to win matches.

Let's wait for another year and see what he got in mind :)

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    :confused:
    He's been performing pretty well lately, only losing to Lin Dan in his two last outings!!
    I wouldn't call that "not enough to win matches"!! :p

I think Gade is probably one of the favourites for the olympics, along with Taufik, Choong Hann and Lin Dan... (and maybe Boonsak or Ronald?)
    Hierarchy can still change a lot until this summer anyway!...

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I was refering to couple years ago :)
    He just came back up in recent years.

9. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

Peter Gade

If he's mentally ready, he could win the Olympics. Physically, I think he's almost there.