Using squash racket

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cheung, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Had something very interesting today.

My kids are learning badminton. I would say they are still advanced beginner stage still learning the different strokes.

We spend a lot of time on overhead strokes. Whilst they have got better, the overhead technique is still a little incorrect which produces inconsistent shots. These small differences have been difficult to correct - after all, they can still hit the shuttle and it goes over the net.

One doesn't pull the elbow back enough during preparation but can still produce a decent smash by strength and fingers.

The coach gave her a squash racquet (a light racquet) and asked her to do a smash. Of course, it is difficult. He tells her to pull the elbow back more. Something I have tried to get her to do in the past but only partially succeeded. With the squash racquet and pulling the elbow back, she is able to hit the shuttle and produce a noticeable improvement in technique. This time, she remembers to turn the body and pull the elbow back enough almost every time because if she didn't, she couldn't hit the shuttle properly.

The other has better preparation for the overhead but throws the racquet head out slightly sideways more than a few times. So the shuttle wouldn't be hit quite consistently. We do some shadow strokes and I correct the technique by observing the stroke from behind. Again, when on court, the stroke technique has to be done better to hit the shuttle.

The time given to using a squash racquet was very limited. One has to be careful. But what struck me most was using this bulkier racquet to produce a much better stroke technique. If the overhead stroke technique was poor, there is immediate feedback by the shuttle flying poorly.

Something to aid training - be careful about trying to use too much strength or swing it fast. There is no need for that - it can cause injuries. Just concentrate on technique.

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    You can use anything that has weight, just pick anything:

1. a heavy badminton racket (1U or heavier)
    2. A badminton racket with something attaced to it (I tie my shirt to the racket, personally. You can also attach sand and stone with your cloths)
    3. Botttle
    4. Stone
    5. Barble
    6. Broom
    7. Pipe.
    8. Head cover with Book (paul stewart does this)
    9. Hammer
    10. etc

The list is endless you can use anything for weight training, even it's from other sports

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    For me, my recommendation is a heavy badminton racket or using your own badminton racket with something attached to it. I tie my shirt to the middle part of my racket.

With these two, you can still play badminton with heavy objects. This is also the limit for weight training. I add the weight untill I cannot play comfortably with my "heavy racket".

love it when people laugh at me because it looks silly attaching your own clothes to the racket and play with it (or hit the birdie to the wall with it). But when I play and use the racket with no attached things, they become speechless on how powerfull and accurate the shots are.

You cannot play badminton comfortably with a bottle, squash racket or tennis racket.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Actually, we are not playing playing badminton but only training.

I thought you said your smash wasn't that strong?

Anyway, the point of my post is not the strength training. Anybody can do that with brute strength. It's how the squash racquet bulk caused a modification of technique to a better one. :)

On a note, I have seen international players use a squash racquet to play badminton in training. Not sure how common it is though.

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I agree with you - a squash racket is an excellent training tool for correcting technique (need to use it carefully etc etc...). The reason it is so effective, in my view, is that you simply cannot get away with bad technique. Moreover, good technique means that the big old heavy racket does all the work for you - making it easy! Woohoo!

I trained my backhand overhead with a squash racket, and my defence. Worked a treat!

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Possibly silly question but strung with squash or badminton.string?

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I just used a cheap squash racket with cheap squash strings! The important thing is the weight of the racket - not the strings!

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    It wasn't, I just used this training since August this year, so my shots have been more accurate and powerfull. And I don't like to smash hard anyway, So I haven't got the chance to test how powerfull my smash is. But my drives and lift have greatly improved.

Yeah, I agree about that, just adding that you can also use a heavy badminton racket or a badminton racket with added weight.

I now do the wall hitting with my modified racket, really helps strengthening and making shots placement and accuracy better.

The key is the weight, try not to add too much weight. add a little is fine, make sure you are still agile enpugh to play shots comfortably

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Interesting, we also have a 120gram badminton training racquet that we do use. But it seems not to be as effective. I have considered ordering a 150gram badminton racquet.

Personally, I didn't use the squash racquet much in my own training.

10. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    It's fascinating how anybody else beside me buy and buy. I just need to tie my own shirt to the racket to make it heavier. use paper clips or tapes to make it stay. You can also tie something else using clips or tapes, and then remove them when you want to change the weight or play.

Typically squash rackets are 140-170 grams, although the lightest can be 120 and there's a 210 gram one and more.

http://www.squashtalk.com/html/whatsqu/racquet1.htm

11. visor

visor Regular Member

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Sure. I used to put weights on my racquets. Instead of buying specific weights to add on the frame, I used to add electrical tape wound in a specific way around the frame. I just haven't bothered with it for a long time and now prefer a specific training aid for the solution.

I haven't gone into why I want a 150gram racquet. But suffice to say, i have only bought 5 new racquets over the last 12 or so years. One is the short length junior racquet which is good for four year olds. A slightly shorter than standard racquet which is good for 7-8 year olds. The 120 gram racquets as mentioned earlier, a two new modern racquets for myself. Would you consider that a buy, buy, buy, mentality?

13. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    No.

It's just that if I can make it without buying, it's better to do that

14. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    That might be true when you are training yourself. However, when you are a coach, and people are paying you for lessons, it says bad things about you if you have not spent $40 on the correct training tool for the job. You look much more professional as a coach with students when you have the equipment you need, especially given how cheap training rackets are.

Cheung - I have got a 160 gram training racket (StrengthPro 160) - it works very well, but I still find the squash racket MORE effective. I used to play games with the racket - but now I never use it (no need for it).

Cheers

Matt

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

good point Matt and something that I was wondering about. If we have a similar weight badminton racquet compared to the similar weight squash racquet, your experience tells you the squash racquet is better.

Thus, it is not purely a weight increase that benefits technique. It's the squash strings or the physical differences of the frames (or both) that helps.

16. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    For me - it was the strange weight distribution, along with the very large racket grip size compared to badminton that made a big difference. I think you want something that you can't actually move too quickly... otherwise you risk bad habits creeping in.

I think for quick racket work (like drives or defence) that require quick grip changes, the squash racket is not good. But if you are sticking to one grip, then it works well.

17. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

18. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Very common Cheung, I've seen many top UK players used Squash rackets to master technique and train their finger and wrist power.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Nothing happens until you move.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... the guy gets tired and gradually chokes up higher on the handle...

20. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I just use one of the weighted badminton rackets (Yonex TR1), a little heavier, has the same string area etc.