Extending string with starting clamp

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by vctrku, Nov 4, 2014.

1. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Hey, recently I have started stringing from reels and trying to use the minimal amount of string. Near the end, I would use a starting clamp so I can extend the string towards the tension head.

A problem that started showing up was when I used strings with a seemingly delicate outer coating and the clamp would strip the coating, or break the string. I experienced this with RKEP NS66 and the Gosen R4X 110.

I am usually stringing at 26x28 lbs on a Gamma Progression II ELS with 10% pre stretch. Since the outer layers of these strings seem so fragile, how can I continue using a starting clamp in a way that these strings don't break? Thanks!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the clamping force of a starting clamp is much stronger near the throat (closer to the pivot) than near the tip of the clamp jaw. (think lever principle in physics) try to clamp the stringer closer to the tip if you are not already doing so.

another alternative is to forget about the starting clamp, as there is rather small surface area on the clamp and thus there is tons of pressure on the string. you can use a badminton flying clamp which has much larger surface area.

but honestly, depends on the amount of volume you string, the little bit of savings may not be worth it.

3. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Ah interesting, thanks for your reply! Originally I thought there was not enough gripping force where the core was slipping under the outer layer so I would try clamping lower. Lol Well, I will try your suggestions and if it still does not work, I will just use more length for these strings. Thanks!

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Some starting clamps have jaws that don't close in a parallel manner, which leaves a gap near the pivot when the ends make contact. If this is the case with yours, favouring the end of the jaws is best; even with the jaws closed all the way, this closure gap might be big enough to let the string through.

This. A Yonex-style flying clamp has serious grab, and you can loop each end of both strings around twice to double the contact area.

5. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Mark, could you please upload a picture of the string wrapped around the flying clamp? Thanks!

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Something like this:

2M6Q9547.jpg

The red string comes from the racket, the blue string goes to the puller.

Looping each string around the clamp and into the other side doubles the gripping area. Just make sure the red and blue strings are on the same side of the clamp; it will twist if they are not.

7. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Ah, thanks for your reply! I understand it now and will definitely try it! I was about to put the strings on separate sides and the twisting would probably broken the string. Lol