Blade 4 or Blast 6

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by fafman, Nov 9, 2014.

1. fafman

fafman Regular Member

Consultant
    I am deciding between blade 4 or blast6. My main need is cushioning.

Are the soles thick on these? I move a lot in the court and I am a little worried if the soles are think, I might twist my ankles.

TIA

2. fafman

fafman Regular Member

Consultant
    Sorry I forgot to add. I tried indoor soccer shoes and got very bad blisters, thus my main need for cushioning. Also, I did not use good athletic socks, so that might have added to the blisters.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Are your shoes not simply too big? Blisters are more caused by sliding inside your shoe than lack of cushioning althoug futsal shoes are probably the worst suited for badminton ... Thin soles are also not the cause for ankle twisting ...

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Or do you get them at your heel? Wearing double socks can also help but compared to futsal shoes the Blade and Blast have better cushioning for sure and I would assume the Blast still has more cushioning between the two ...

5. fafman

fafman Regular Member

Consultant
    you are exactly right, the shoes were big for my feet and was the reason for my blisters.

6. fafman

fafman Regular Member

Consultant
    It was at the ball of the foot and the reason like you pointed was size being bigger.

Between the blade and the blast, which one would be more low profile? I feel uncomfortable and lose confidence when the sole is raised (I fear I will twist my ankle when moving fast)

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Normally Blade should be lower profile ...

8. fafman

fafman Regular Member

Consultant
    Yes, that's what I am seeing as well. However, blade does not seem to have foresole cushioning.

How much of a profile difference should I expect between blade and blast. Overall, blast seems to be the better choice unless profile is different

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[​IMG] I didn't not een pick up on that till you mentioned it has no foresole GEL cushion! Well then the midsole does a good job and certainly still better than a futsal shoe ...
    Blast probably still has a (marginally) higher profile but I rarely see these model in the local sports shop so haven't compared in person. I guess there is a flagship Asics store in Amsterdam, maybe I can swing by one time if in the vicinity .... (with flagship stores come flagship prices so not the first place I would go look :D)

#9 demolidor, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  10. fafman

fafman Regular Member

Consultant
    That would be awesome!! Thank you so much, let me know if you end up checking it out..

11. xero9

xero9 Regular Member

IT
    I regularly use a gel blade 4 and have tested a gel blast 6 on court..
    The blade 4's cushioning in the forefoot is quite thin, as its profile is very low but I was able to address this by changing my insole with a more "cushioned" one. Upside is that I can do quicker footwork because of the low profile and its lightweight-ness
    The blast 6 on the other hand has an above average profile, and while the cushioning is very good, to me it's too heavy and too "chunky" and (my personal experience only) I feel the shoe is built wherein you're too elevated (I ended up buying the fireblast instead). If you don't mind the added weight then i think you'll be fine with this.

Support and traction-wise they work as advertised.. Hope this helps.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

THanks for chipping in :cool:. So, that answers the question ... I guess [MENTION=120097]fafman[/MENTION] meant "thick" rather than "thin" with "think" which makes more sense ;). So then the choice would fall on the Blade, between the two ... (and indeed can always swap insoles)

13. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    insole

Bro,
    could you share some pic ...what type of insole do you added or replace? gel type?
    would that added weight and close to blast6?

14. xero9

xero9 Regular Member

IT
    I am currently using the victor VT-XD8 insole, was also experimenting with other brands like sorbo and mizuno, but i found this one just right. The stock insole of the gel blade is rather on the thin side (especially on the forefoot area) so any other insole would work. IMHO any insole you put in would not even bring the blade close to blast 6 because it's too light.

Also, i tried gel insoles to maximize cushioning for badminton, it hampered my footwork too much, and the cushy feeling just wasn't right when i move around the court, it was like playing with soaked socks :)