User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Emoticons and forum speed

I have a broadband connection and have no problems connecting to any other site, but for some reason whenever I search for new posts or try to post a new message on BadmintonForum, it takes such a long time (up to a mnute) for the page to load. When posting I often open the thread from a new window, and notice that my message has already posted despite the fact the progress bar of the window in which I was posting the message is only at c.30%. What could be going wrong? I'm using IE6/Mozilla4/Java script2 (Java VM).

And as I have said before, I don't think the new emoticons are suitable for this sort of site; not only are they not very expressive ( this - is supposed to show embarrassment?), they also look like they type you might find in a kiddie internet site. I wish we had ones like those in the pic below.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ynexfan2003; 04-08-2004 at 10:25 PM. Reason: to let you know that it took 1min 20secs for the page to load (the jpeg is only 50k)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

has anybody else experienced such slow down? BF has been really speedy for me. i think the new software is even faster than the old one despite having more features.

are you still using proxies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    has anybody else experienced such slow down? BF has been really speedy for me. i think the new software is even faster than the old one despite having more features.

are you still using proxies?
    No, I'm not using proxies; I experience the same problem connecting via the PC's in my University library, where there is a T3 connection. It only slows down when I try post a new message or thread searching for new messages and viewing Who's Online; sending private messages and opening existing threads, seems to be about the same, if not slightly faster.
    It's very strange, because I can open and view the message I have posted up to 40secs before the page on which I was posting the message has loaded.

Incidentally, have the profanity rules been relaxed with the new software? I see that there is the odd expletive in new posts, which previously would have been censored.
    Last edited by ynexfan2003; 04-09-2004 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same problem as ynexfan2003 when trying to do a "today's posts" search. It seem to chug away for a good 7-10 seconds regularly. I've noticed this only started happening after the switch to the new software.

Quote Originally Posted by ynexfan2003
    I have a broadband connection and have no problems connecting to any other site, but for some reason whenever I search for new posts or try to post a new message on BadmintonForum, it takes such a long time (up to a mnute) for the page to load. When posting I often open the thread from a new window, and notice that my message has already posted despite the fact the progress bar of the window in which I was posting the message is only at c.30%. What could be going wrong? I'm using IE6/Mozilla4/Java script2 (Java VM).

And as I have said before, I don't think the new emoticons are suitable for this sort of site; not only are they not very expressive ( this - is supposed to show embarrassment?), they also look like they type you might find in a kiddie internet site. I wish we had ones like those in the pic below.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think some slowdown can be expected at the moment because wether you use BT dial up or broadband there was a fire destroying some connections in the main central hub in Manchester, all the traffic from more northern places was affected for the last couple of weeks. I think they were expecting full coverage to resume properly this week.

I don't think it explains why my dial up connection has dropped to an averge of 32kbps.

Could it be that the university computers are somehow loading slowly because it is a chat facility and discussion forum, universities do not like their students browsing chat/discussion sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Test

Test...speed

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No problem in connection speed from Hong Kong (broadband access).

Still quick when doing a new post or searching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would some it might has something to do with routing. Different countries have different routing set by the ISP and international links.

At least, in Ohio, it's good and speedy