Emoticons and forum speed

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by ynexfan2003, Apr 8, 2004.

1. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    I have a broadband connection and have no problems connecting to any other site, but for some reason whenever I search for new posts or try to post a new message on BadmintonForum, it takes such a long time (up to a mnute) for the page to load. When posting I often open the thread from a new window, and notice that my message has already posted despite the fact the progress bar of the window in which I was posting the message is only at c.30%. What could be going wrong? I'm using IE6/Mozilla4/Java script2 (Java VM).

And as I have said before, I don't think the new emoticons are suitable for this sort of site; not only are they not very expressive ( this - :eek: is supposed to show embarrassment?), they also look like they type you might find in a kiddie internet site. I wish we had ones like those in the pic below.

Attached Files:

• mot.jpg
      mot.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
    #1 ynexfan2003, Apr 8, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    has anybody else experienced such slow down? BF has been really speedy for me. i think the new software is even faster than the old one despite having more features.

are you still using proxies?

3. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    No, I'm not using proxies; I experience the same problem connecting via the PC's in my University library, where there is a T3 connection. It only slows down when I try post a new message or thread searching for new messages and viewing Who's Online; sending private messages and opening existing threads, seems to be about the same, if not slightly faster.
    It's very strange, because I can open and view the message I have posted up to 40secs before the page on which I was posting the message has loaded.

Incidentally, have the profanity rules been relaxed with the new software? I see that there is the odd expletive in new posts, which previously would have been censored.

#3 ynexfan2003, Apr 9, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  4. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    I have the same problem as ynexfan2003 when trying to do a "today's posts" search. It seem to chug away for a good 7-10 seconds regularly. I've noticed this only started happening after the switch to the new software.

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I think some slowdown can be expected at the moment because wether you use BT dial up or broadband there was a fire destroying some connections in the main central hub in Manchester, all the traffic from more northern places was affected for the last couple of weeks. I think they were expecting full coverage to resume properly this week.

I don't think it explains why my dial up connection has dropped to an averge of 32kbps.

Could it be that the university computers are somehow loading slowly because it is a chat facility and discussion forum, universities do not like their students browsing chat/discussion sites.

6. vincenterika

vincenterika Regular Member

Roamer
    Test

Test...speed

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    No problem in connection speed from Hong Kong (broadband access).

Still quick when doing a new post or searching.

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I would some it might has something to do with routing. Different countries have different routing set by the ISP and international links.

At least, in Ohio, it's good and speedy :)