How to defend a smash-drop?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by opikbidin, Nov 12, 2014.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    How to defend a smash-drop after we lift the shuttle?

1.What is the grip?
    2.Where do we grab the racket handle?
    3. Where do we position ourselves?
    4. How do we return the shuttle?

1. For the grip, I mainly do the bevel grip, because I also need to account for drives. But I've seen and heard many advices to do the thumb grip because it's the best. Which one?

2. Many say the shorter, the better, as it gives more control and speed, But how about those smashes to the side? is it best to be on the middle or short?

3. In pro's and some of my friends who are good, they retreat far near the baseline to be ready for the smash. But in many cases, we also have to worry about the drop, should we retreat far but have mind on the drop (be ready to move forward) or position ourselves in the middle?

4. What's the best way to return the shuttle? block to the net, drive or push to the empty middle areas, lift high straight or lift high crosscourt?

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Seeing as nobody has answered you, here is my quick answer:

1. I wait using the thumb grip. If I need to play a drive, or defend a smash at my backhand or body, I can do that with a thumb grip. If the smash comes to the forehand side, I will relax my grip into a forehand grip.

2. You want to use a short grip because it gives your racket most manoeuvrability. In doubles, you do not need to worry about smashes to the side - if you stand in the right place, you can get them all easily. In singles, a long grip is more normal - you will rarely use a shorter grip for any shot as the reach is important. A lot is personal preference, but most good singles players will learn to play all their strokes with a long grip.

3. Retreating to near the back is wrong. It is used effectively by some players, including world class doubles players. However, these players are vulnerable to a good stop drop. Instead, you should position yourself slightly more than halfway back in the court - so that when you reach your arm forwards, its in the middle. This is more like the way that top indonesians defend (and they also have excellent defence).

4. This is a silly question in many ways. You should be able to do them all, and some will work well against some players/pairs and others won't. A blocked or pushed defence is always a good choice in singles or doubles, straight is easier and cross is more risky - but cross court is better for counter attacking. Driven defence (straight) is good for doubles. Lifted defence (straight) is very risky in doubles but very good in singles. Lifted defence (cross court) is normally a good counter attacking shot in doubles, assuming your partner is good enough to defend a straight smash/drive. The cross lift is an unusual shot to play on defence in singles. Note: I am only talking about defending smashes. For defending drops, do whatever you want - but make sure you take it very early!

Good luck!

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not heard of a smash drop shot before.

Smash - yes

Dropshot - yes

Smash drop (shot) - ??

4. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    I think he meant defending after a lift or clear...

In double, we always defense the smashes as first priority, and then guard against drop/punch clear if the smash does not come. Currently in double, I trying to switch my stance to have my non-racket foot slightly in front. If the opponent dropped instead of smash, I use one big deep lunging step to reach the drop. The pro is that 1 step is needed only, and I can get to the shuttle almost all the time (if the lift/clear reached the double service back line). The con is that this footwork is energy intensive and I am not able to perform it toward the end of 2nd game (forget the rubber, I would be drained from my attacking game). Also this footwork only let me lift - not able to play net as the body is fully extended. It is natural that we will be picking up the shuttle low because we are defending smashes (the big smashes) as our first priority. I smash over 80% of lift/clears in double - only a few drops, and only once per game a punch clear - I expect my opponent to smash over 75% of the time - and hence the priority in defense.

I don't do that in single. In single knowing your opponent helps a lot - as you pick your base position depending of what the opponent is capable of delivering. If I see my opponent turns to play high backhand, or side step to play the high forehand, I naturally move my base a little forward. If I see my opponent gets behind the shuttle, feet set, body turned, I will position myself to defense a smash (especially if both his feet are inside the double service back line - I will concede the drop - he can have it).

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the answers

For this, I think the most polarizing is the block or push defence. And I still can't get right sometimes, so I mainly just drive or lift them. There are two situations that I mainly encounter (in doubles):

1. The opponent is smashing with an already established front-rear formation
    2. The opponent is smashing with an unclear formation (usually because of those weak lifts or accidents where it goes to the middle area and the opponent is still in the defence side by side formation)

For 1, I never ever want to do blocks or pushes as I will get punished heavily by a "BAM" or a tight net shot that will make me dive
    For 2, This is where I can do a block or push, even though it is risky because we usually retreat far back because the smash is from midcourt, so the front will be so open.

So I rarely do those blocks or pushes as it is a huge disadvantage.

My priority are kind of reversed, most of the players I play with doesn't smash that often. They mainly smash only when the situation is really favorable (smash from the midcourt, after a weak lift or clear). They mainly use drops to maintain their attacking game from the rear court and also use many clears. There iare also many cases the smashes that come are like drives.

So I mainly prioritize drops and clears, even drives before smashes after a lift to the back. And for smashes that come after weak replies or mistakes, I count more on my instincts and reflexes. My friends usually just run away and shield themselves with their racket, sometimes even frozen.

In My place it's like this :
    Higher level players: dropshots most of the time and use clears only when cornered
    lower level players : clears most of the time and use dropshots as last resort or when tired

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I have to disagree with you completely - if your pushes are being punished by the opposing team, then you are doing them badly. There is no way that my opponent can kill my pushed defence - it will go past the front player WAY before they can get near it, and if they do, its so low the only thing they can do is push/drive it (or play to the net) - in any of those situations, I can come forwards and challenge for the net position! If, on the other hand, the front player CAN easily get my straight pushes, it means they are covering the straight too much, and are not covering cross court - so I just play a cross block, which is probably a winner.

Obviously, if the quality of your shots isn't good enough, such that they go too high or too slow, then you need to stick to other shots OR learn to defend properly.

In the second situation, I would be playing driven defence probably - smack it back at them to take advantage of their poor positioning.

Finally: when defending, you should be ready for anything, drop, smash or clear. If you are not ready, then your defence isn't good enough!

Good luck!