How to Prevent Holes in Your Badminton Shoes!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by R20190, Nov 14, 2014.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Guys,

As some of you know I recently purchased a pair of Victor SHLYD and after using it for a short period, I noticed some scuffing on the inside area of my non-racquet foot shoe. This is quite common and is generally considered normal as we tend to drag our non-racquet foot during lunges using correct technique.

However I have not had this for the best part of the last 10 or so years when I have only been using yonex shoes. Comparing the two shoes, I noticed that the rubber soles on my yonex shoes has a high and thicker raised edge which provides better protection than my victor shoes.

Not content with allowing this scuff to develop into a hole for my new shoes, I set about finding ways of preventing it happening and would like to share with others here the solution I've come up with.

My first thoughts was to use gaffa/duct tape to patch up the area, but whilst they are strong in tension, they are relatively poor in abrasion resistance. I found some 3M clear protection tape which was developed to protect helicopter blades and is widely used by mountain bikers to shield against chips and scratches. Although this was very good against abrasion, it was too rigid to firstly conform to the shape of the shoe and also to allow movement as you bend your toes. So eventually after only 2 sessions, it was starting to peel. Back to the drawing board.

I then discovered that skateboarders have the same problem as us badminton players with holes developing on the outside side of their shoes. The solution they favour is to use a product called Shoe Goo. This stuff is fantastic, I have used it before to repair my Converse shoes but there is one big drawback. It is messy. Very messy. It looks awful once applied, so I decided not to try it. But if you're not bothered about looks and getting it every where, this would probably work very well.

Anyway, I then remembered a product that has been very popular with car enthusiasts particularly in the past few years to change the colour of their cars and wheels. And one that has been used by mechanics to protect tools etc... it's easy to apply, flexible, removeable and abrasion resistant... Plastidip!

This sounded perfect, so I ordered a clear aerosol version of plastidip and gave it a go. It wasn't cheap though at £17 a can (there are cheaper alternatives now). I masked up the whole shoe, leaving only the area that is prone to wear and sprayed 3 coats of plastidip. Let it dry for two days and it was ready to go. I did rush the last two coats and applied it a little too heavy which made the plastidip a bit hazy, otherwise it would have been more transparent. Anyway, it's removeable so I thought I'd leave it on and use it as a sacrifical skin until it wears out, then I'll just apply a new coat again.

All in all, it took about 10-15mins to do and after the first two sessions it has held up very well. I can see some small crease lines underneath where the shoe bends and forms white lines in the plastidip but otherwise the surface is more or less intact. It hasn't peeled at all, no more scuffs and stretches as if it was part of the original shoe. It also isn't very noticeable being on the inside face of the shoe.

Needless to say I'm very pleased with the result! :)

Hopes this helps someone! And no, I don't have shares in plastidip! lol :)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Cool! I'll definitely try this out too, as my dragging shoe always last only 9 months due to this same problem, while the rest of both shoes are still in good condition.

Thumbs up!

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Oh, I forgot to mention that you should clean the area really well first. I used rubbing alcohol to remove any grease or dirt so it sticks better. Also I avoided the threads/seam lines to keep it neat.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can you post pictures of the Yonex and Victor shoe differences?

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Here you go Cheung.

I had two pairs of yonex shoes, the other pair which probably had better protection I have left in HK. These are my other pair - which are still ok - better than my victors.

Just in case people are wondering why there is a dark patch in the middle of the plastidip, its because I painted the scuffed area in pink before spraying (I should have left it in hindsight!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Tks for the pics, but they're too puny... any bigger ones?

Farhan-Ripper likes this.
  7. ziggy87

ziggy87 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    have you tried clicking on them? :rolleyes:

and this idea is awesome! hopefully it prolongs the life of my shoes!

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Oh, my bad, the links have the high res pics...

9. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    Wow. Nice. Will try this out

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Coincidently I saw a pair of Asics badminton shoes that had a rubber pad in this exact area to protect it from abrasion. Looks like they are taking note of this problem... wish the mainstream badminton equipment manufacturers would do the same.

R305N_0170_0010171570_f_o_althalf2.jpg

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Just a little feedback on this thread... I'm really impressed with the plastidip.... It's been quite a few sessions now and it's held up really well. No noticeable wear whatsoever!

12. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Li-Ning has some shoes that have the "TUFF TIP" technology where it reinforces the side of the shoe for foot draggers. Check out this video for my personal review of a Li-Ning pair of shoes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zllrieevJSs

13. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    R20190 thanks for sharing! The one you used is the Plastidip Aerosol Spray like in the image below?

[​IMG]

If so, I will purchase it and give it a try. I also wear away the same area and as I am a full time coach and league player, I go through many pairs per year, this might help save me some money!

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    There is nothing permanent except change.

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yep that's the one... I bought the clear version. My first attempt (above) lasted until 2 weeks ago when I peeled it off and applied a new layer. So the idea is really for it to act as a sacrificial material.

Also, to get a neat edge to the plastidip, peel off the masking tape before the plastidip hardens.

15. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Thanks for the tips, will do.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

16. kaisterkai

kaisterkai Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I had this problem with two of my badminton shoes... will definitely try this but not sure if they sell this in my country :( will have to order online... Thanks for the tips!!

17. kaisterkai

kaisterkai Regular Member

Student
    I actually went about looming for plasti dip. And found one!

I tried it on.. but the layer came off really quickly? I think I'm doing something wrong? Or maybe the place where the hole is.

Let me say... The place where the hole is is on my left shoe on the right front side. Like if you go for a drop your left leg drags? And that right tip of the shoe gets scraped. So its there.

Can anyone help with applying? Cause the only place where it's broken is there! And it's really unnecessary to through away a shoe because of that :(((

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    What do you mean it came off really quickly? Do you have any photos and did you clean the area well before applying the plastidip?

19. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Does anybody have any suggestions for liquid plastic stuff in europe? What stores should I look in?

20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Just a little update to this thread I found that some clear bandage /dressing tapes also seems to work ok. It needs to stretch a little and have good adhesive as well as being thick enough not to wear too quickly.

So if you can't get hold of sprayed rubber/plastidip, then may be give clear bandage tape a try.