Need help deciding on a racket (as a gift)!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by BoboTheBadder, Apr 9, 2004.

1. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    So here's the deal... I'm planning on buying my mom a new racket as a gift since she tends to just use my dad's old ones and she's the type of person that never buys anything for herself. I know my parents play at least 10 hours a week, sometimes upwards to 20-25 hours a week depending on the circumstances, so getting a nice racket is important. I seem to change my opinion on what racket to get her on a daily basis, so I figured what better place than here to ask for opinions. Here's the criteria:

1) Need a racket for club play.
    2) Racket has to be light (3U or lighter), as my mom isn't the strongest person in the world and her arm starts hurting after long sessions using a heavy racket.
    3) Primarily a doubles racket.
    4) Need a racket that's good for defense and control of the shuttle. My mom usually plays the net and does drop shots with the occasional clear. She tends to have trouble clearing from back court so a racket that tends to have a better feel for clears would be preferable, though not entirely required since variable string tensions might help with that.
    5) Want a good balance between durability and performance, since I know she won't replace it if it breaks which means I have to get her a new one. :p
    6) Money isn't an issue.
    7) Some random stuff: probably want a square head racket since it has the larger hitting area, and the racket should be Yonex since it's all my family plays with.

With that being said, I've read the reviews on this site. Couldn't really find anything that fit all those things fairly well. I was looking at either the Armortec 800-DF or the MP66, but they're new rackets so I haven't seen much in terms of reviews for those. Any insights would be greatly appreciated, because I'm pretty lost here. I already decided on a Cab20MS for myself but I want to wait to a decision before I order to save on shipping. Anyways, have at it folks! :D

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    MP 88. Its flexible shaft allows the player to clear easily from the backcourt. Its head-heaviness gives enough power to smashes and drives when needed. It is very light and manuverable... very ideal for the lady net player. I think it depends on the user durability-wise. If your mom's a decent player, she shouldn't have any problems with clashes.

BTW, excellent choice on the CAB20MS:).

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree mp88.

4. BoboTheBadder

Student
    Oh it was a clear-cut decision for me. I didn't like long rackets, I wanted an oval head racket for better power focus, and I'm a power player so the Cab20MS fit me perfect. I used a Cab21 so I think the Cab20MS was a good replacement. I pondered on the Cab30MS for awhile, but decided on the 20 instead. I also thought about getting an Armortec 700 or MP99, but ehhh...

It's a different choice for my mom though, since she has a lot more requirements than I do. To be honest I didn't look into the MP88 much, so looks like I have some research to do now. :D I was originally thinking of an Armortec 500 or MP99 for her but I realized they might not fit her style well. Hopefully some of the newer racket reviews will come in too, and I can get some feedback on those and other rackets from other people. Big thanks to cappy (and kwun now!) for replying so fast so I have something to do now instead of studying for my cell biology test I should be doing. ;)

5. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    Number 6...MONEY ISN'T AN ISSUE.

Well if money isn't an issue get a MP-100, or AT700(since AT800 comes in 2 types, AT700 would be a good all 'round balanced racquet), CAB30M, ISO Ti Swing Power? Or if Money REALLY isn't an issue, get both AT-800 Offensive and Defensive, as well as get a good string too.

And get a good pack of Shuttles, and a good pair of Badminton Shoes.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! If money isn't an issue. Multiple sets of Boron-2s and/or CAB22s for me:D

7. BoboTheBadder

Student
    Haha. I probably should make it clearer: Money isn't an issue... for this racket. I am a poor (relatively) college student here. I just figured I'd spend my scholarship money on something useful like badminton stuff rather than stuff like food... :p

If I had a job I'd probably buy every single racket out there that I want to try out right now, but sadly I don't because I'm too lazy to deal with school and a job at the same time. I guess it's a good thing they pay me to go to school! :cool:

Edit: Oh yes, forgot to mention that I just bought like 10 tubes of shuttles, more grip than I'll ever need, and a new badminton bag. I think new badminton shoes are in line after the rackets since my old ones are getting... well... old.

8. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    Mp-100 :d :d

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    why would you want to suggest such a stiff racket to someone who has problem clearing full court length?

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Lets face it as a defensive player she would need a flexible racket for control and also a light one would be better!!

Your 2 main options are the old Swing power with either the most flexy shaft which is 4U and the MP88, also 4U.

One is discontinued and the other is very widley available, if you get the right shop they will sell you last seasons dark grey colour half price because they should be trying to get rid of old stock and are waiting on the new stock arriving.

Cappy and Kwun are spot on

11. haven

haven Regular Member

Badminton Addict
    I agree with Kwun...

The MP88 is actually quite a suitable racquet as it is
    quite light (even with it's head heaviness) Not very
    stiff either...

:D

12. BoboTheBadder

Student
    Looks like it'll be a MP88 unless anyone else has any insight on something different. From what people have described about the MP88, it does sound like the perfect choice. :)

13. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    One thing to note is that the MP88 has a new 2004 version, and from what I hear (correct me if I'm wrong) is little more stiff than the 2003 version with a little more pop. I'm not sure if any sacrafices in weight were involved. I know the 2003 version was light and a good doubles racquet.

Another racket to consider is the Ti-7. Its medium stiff, light and manages well around the net.

14. other

other Regular Member

Student
    is that the Ti-7 or Ti-7 light?
    The Ti-7 light is a bit head light-or could be becuase we put overgrip on it. Anyways, its a bit weird for power, seeing as the head is so light, and weight is 3U. I think a MP88 would be good, seeing as the new colour is going to push the red/silver price down:)

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree.

MP100 might have better potential, but if she's having trouble on clearing, then, stiffness is a negative factor.

16. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Hmmmm...

How about 2x Ti-5 Light? They are very popular with female players here because they have similar qualities as a MP88. It is isometric, light, flexible-ish, with good control and decent power, and from the number of abused Ti-5 I have seen and strung, they seemed to be very durable too. And for price of a MP88 and wee bit more, you can get your mum 2 rackets - one for game play one for back up.

That is, if you can get Ti-5 where you are still. Dime and dozen here in oz.

17. vincenterika

vincenterika Regular Member

Roamer
    Lighter and ...

I suggest

ISO Swing Power TI SA/SR
    MP 88 4U
    TI 7 Light
    TI 6(If you can find 3U one)
    TI 5 Light

18. vincenterika

Roamer
    As ayl said above, I think TI 5 Light is a quite good choice...(But you say "$$ is not an issue" haha,so we suggest you much expensive one)

String BG 85 or BG 66 at 20/22 for your mom...

19. BoboTheBadder

Student
    hehe, I settled on the MP88, but I'll look into getting some Ti-5 Lights as some backups. Also, I was thinking about getting an Iso Swing Power SX/SS for myself to try out. Anyone know anyplace that still sells them?

20. vincenterika

Roamer
    ISO Swing Power TI

Hong Kong......around USD$100 strung.
    U mean TI one or 900?