Head Light Racket Balance Point 328mm!?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kattt, Nov 17, 2014.

1. kattt

kattt New Member

I wanted to buy a head light racket. So I bought Yonex Nanoray 300 because it was said to be head light and I also checked that its balance point was measured by Direct Badminton to be 292mm. However, when I received the racket and measured its balance point I noticed it to be 328mm!! I measured it strung and with original grip as did Direct Badminton.

Do you think the racket is defective and can be returned? Or is there something here that I don't understand at all? I have contacted the customer support of the store where I bought the racket but they don't seem to understand the problem.

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Well that's the risk if you buy online based on specs without holding it in your hands. Maybe you get an extreme off spec model. It's possible with every racket of every brand that you get one which is a few grams lighter or heavier or the balance point move in a 1cm area.
    You have these options:

1) Send it back with the reason that you didn't get a headlight racket and try to get your money back and go to a shop. You will maybe pay a few bugs more but you will have the option to inspect the racket before you buy it.

2) Try to sell it on ebay as good as new. That's not the best way, because you sell your problem to a victim.

3) Try to contact the distributor with the information that the shop don't understand your problem and that a bp of 328mm isn't headlight. Maybe they will have an ear for your dilemma and will replace your NR300.

Something you don't see is that the balance point is not an absolute value. It change when you add or remove grip and string. Maybe DB measured in a different condition than you. So it can happen easily that it increase or decrease 10mm. 328mm is a really off spec one and not possible if the racket isn't a head heavy banger. Try to get a replace. If not it's bad, but you have learnt your lesson. Avoid the shop and brand and buy only in a shop where you can inspect or demo the racket without buying it.

3. kattt

kattt New Member

Thank you very much for your detailed answer!

Today they eventually let me send it back but I'm not sure if they are going to give my money back or replace the racket or something else. Anyway, (after many e-mails) they now seem to understand the problem.

I know that the balance point depends on the grip and if the racket is strung or unstrung. But because DB says: "All rackets are weighed and balanced, on site by us, with the factory grip and strings to give the values of a racket ready for play." my measurement should be comparable with theirs and the 36mm difference seems to be too big. http://www.directbadminton.co.uk/sp...nanoray-300-badminton-racket-?ProductID=11898