NBG99 at higher tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ryeung, Nov 25, 2014.

1. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I have been using this string for one person at 30 x 33 (with one job at 32 x 35) and have not had any issues until last night. The string broke while tightening the final knot (annoying but it has happened to me the odd time when I pull too hard), so be it. Opened up a new package and it snapped on the first pull. Opened up another package and again it snapped on the first pull. I know it is not the clamps because both times it broke in the middle. Bad luck? Should I open another package? Losing money no matter what I do :-(

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If you didn't buy them from a seller with high reputution it could be that you get fake ones. Maybe the one you strung was just good luck and you have fakes.
    If you bought them from a seller who is famous for his legit stuff I would first check my machine. Maybe you pulled them too fast. Do you have prestrech switched on? Maybe it's too much for the string.
    If you don't have fakes and don't use prestrech I think you have bad luck or you have a batch with defects. I don't have any other idea.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    This has happened to me before too. I use NBG99 exclusively now and my preferred tension is in the same range around 31-32lb. My strings are definitely genuine.

If you are using the method to tension the final knot that Kwun demonstrates in his video, you have to be very careful with NBG99 and not over do it. It seems this string is quite fragile when abused. The best way to over come it is to either compensate by applying a little more tension on the final string before tensioning the knot gently or just tension the knot gently without compensating.

4. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Pretty sure the strings are real. I got them from Eric @ squashmart. I haven't had too many breakages when pulling the knot since I switched over to using a starting clamp to hold the string. What I can't figure is how the string snapped on the first pull. Once, fluke maybe but twice in a row. Pretty expensive string to have a bad batch. Don't recall ever snapping a string while tensioning. Only when I am not paying attention when tightening a knot.