BS12 (KRP) and BS12N (KRP) - My Measurements

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by R20190, Nov 25, 2014.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    This is a post for those of us who get mildly excited by racquet specifications! lol :D

As one of the most popular badminton racquets ever made and the Korean preferred choice of weapon, this racquet hardly needs an introduction. So here it is, the Victor Bravesword 12 KRP and the Bravesword 12N KRP.

For those who aren't aware, KRP versions are the racquets made specifically for the Korean team players. Hence KoRean Player (KRP serial code).

[FONT=&amp]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ctr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL][/FONT]

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ctr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

[FONT=&amp]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ctr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-2.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ctr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-6.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ctr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-7.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ctr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-3.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ctr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-4.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ctr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-5.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL][/FONT]

It took me a while to get hold of these racquets, which are apparently amongst the last batch of BS12 KRPs ever to be made. They arrived strung and with the cellophane plastic wrapping removed. This was a little disappointing as I wanted to get measurements without strings and with the wrapping still on. Still, at least the original grip is on so I can work backwards.

Here are the measurements I took with a pair of digital vernier callipers and a digital scale. A few surprises as I took the measurements so this may interest others.

Note: The shaft length has been measured from the crest of the “sword” shape at the t-joint to the trough at the top of the plastic cone.

BS12 KRP, 3U/G5, NBG99@31lb 2-knot.
    Plastic wrapping removed but with original grip.

· Frame Width 12 o’clock = 10.48mm
    · Frame Width 3&9 o’clock = 10.70mm
    · Shaft Thickness = 7.21mm
    · Shaft Length = 224mm
    · Balance Point = 303mm [Est. Dry BP with plastic wrap = 291mm]
    · Weight = 89.3g [Est. Dry weight with plastic wrap = 88.3g]
    · Head Weight = 40.2g [with strings]

BS12N KRP, 3U/G5, NBG99@31lb 2-knot.
    Plastic wrapping removed but with original grip.

· Frame Width 12 o’clock = 10.46mm
    · Frame Width 3&9 o’clock = 10.85mm
    · Shaft Thickness = 7.27mm
    · Shaft Length = 225mm
    · Balance Point = 304mm [Est. Dry BP with plastic wrap = 292mm]
    · Weight = 89.5g [Est. Dry weight with plastic wrap = 88.5g]
    · Head Weight = 40.5g [with strings]

And just for comparison here are the figures for my other BSs.

BSLYD, 3U/G5, BG80P@30lb 2-knot.
    Plastic wrapping intact with several overgrips.

· Frame Width 12 o’clock = 11.17mm
    · Frame Width 3&9 o’clock = 11.45mm
    · Shaft Thickness = 7.51mm
    · Shaft Length = 229mm
    · Balance Point = 300mm [Dry with plastic wrap]
    · Weight = 91g [Dry with plastic wrap]
    · Head Weight = 45.9g [with strings, overgrips and bulge]

BSLHI, 3U/G5, NBG99@31lb 2-knot.
    Plastic wrapping intact with several overgrips and bulge.

· Frame Width 12 o’clock = 10.52mm
    · Frame Width 3&9 o’clock = 10.81mm
    · Shaft Thickness = 7.40mm
    · Shaft Length = 229mm
    · Balance Point = Unknown
    · Weight = Unknown
    · Head Weight = 42.5g [with strings, overgrips and bulge]

BS10, 3U/G5, NBG99@31lb 2-knot.

· Frame Width 12 o’clock = 10.31mm
    · Frame Width 3&9 o’clock = 10.87mm
    · Shaft Thickness = 7.30mm
    · Shaft Length = 229mm
    · Balance Point = 290mm [Dry with plastic wrap]
    · Weight = 88g [Dry with plastic wrap]
    · Head Weight = 43.4g [with strings, overgrips and bulge]

BS11, 3U/G5, NBG99@31lb 2-knot.

· Frame Width 12 o’clock = 10.24mm
    · Frame Width 3&9 o’clock = 10.88mm
    · Shaft Thickness = 7.35mm
    · Shaft Length = 228mm
    · Balance Point = 292mm [Dry with plastic wrap]
    · Weight = 90g [Dry with plastic wrap]
    · Head Weight = 42.3g [with strings, overgrips and bulge]

At the time of writing this, I have yet to play with the KRPs although I have had a few initial swings and test shots at home. My initial impression was that they are at the top end of the “even balanced” band, headlighter than my BSLYD and one of my BS11s but a touch head heavier than my BS10 and BSLHI. The shaft length was noticeably shorter by about 5mm which coincided with a lengthening of the grip by about the same amount. The BP and Head Weight perhaps suggests that it is headlighter than it feels?

Bending the shaft statically, it actually did not feel that stiff – particularly for a short shaft. It was on par if not a touch less stiff compared with my much loved BS11 and BSLHI but I need to play with it to know what the stiffness is like. I would love to compare this with a commercial BS12 and see what, if indeed there are any differences.

There has been quite a few comparisons between the BS12 KRP and the BSLYD given their association with LYD and their apparent close specifications, with some saying that they are essentially the same racquet. This was one question I was keen to find the answer to. And I can confirm that these two racquets are completely different. The most obvious difference is in the shape of the sword frame. The BSLYD sword shape is a lot bulkier and wider, the head shape is different and the shaft is longer and thicker. The BS12 KRP has a much sharper sword edge, it is also thinner in profile. One of the photos above is an overlay of the BS12 KRP on top of the BSLYD. It’s difficult to tell from a photo, but you can just make out where the shape of the BSLYD head is slightly different – although we must bear in mind that I strung the BSLYD but not the BS12 KRP.

All in all, the BSLYD feels slower than the BS12 aerodynamically but the stiffness is perhaps about the same albeit the head weight differences. If anything, I would say the BS12KRP is actually much closer to my BSLHI and BS11 than to my BSLYD in terms of geometry except for the shaft/grip length. The sword section and the shaft thickness are about the same.

Bouncing the shuttle on the strings, it has quite a nice solid feel and I sense it may even have a larger sweetspot than my BS11 and BSLHI. But can’t be sure until I’ve played with it. I’m still deciding whether to store them away with the rest of my unused collection of racquets or just use them – but with a big possibility of damaging them. What do you think?

howdidoo likes this.
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

Whoa! Lots of info... will need time to digest...

3. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Interesting read...
    Wish u have BS12 blue as a direct comparison to ur KRPs.

4. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Interesting to see that the BS09 KRP 3UG2 (YY G5) I recently acquired is more head heavy than BS12 KRP at BP 308mm strung with factory grip. The regular BS09 that I have is nearly as head heavy but it has a different grip and is a G3.

I also have a BS12N KRP 3UG5 and it has a BP of 304mm too measured the same way as above, and I should be getting a BS12 KRP soon so I'll check it when I get it. I have a regular BS12 so I can compare it directly hopefully sometime this week.

But I have the same problem as you...whether to use it and risk damage or store it :confused: I've tried the BS12N KRP though and it just feels like a stiffer version compared to the regular one but still nice to use.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

But still need to measure a regular BS12 for proper direct comparison...

6. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Ok, I decided to rip the overgrip off my regular BS12 3UG3 and found the BP to be 304mm strung and with the original grip :cool: I don't have any scales though.

7. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

Nice share mate. Thanks a lot for sharing with us!

I dare not strung mine, and just place it to the collection shelves.

:)

8. visor

visor Regular Member

So, have we decided if the KRP is stiffer than the regular version?

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Thanks.

I collect racquets too, probably over 60 racquets now.. but although I like to keep them in good condition, I started collecting racquets because I wanted to see what they're like and if they suit me.

Often the case has been that they don't but I wouldn't let them go. But the BS12 is different. My initial impressions of it is that it is very close to my BS11 and BSLHI... which probably means it is one I would like to play with.

So, given that the BS12N is perhaps the one I would rather damage if I had to choose between the two, I have prepped it ready for battle tonight.

I wouldn't worry about stringing them as the commercial version is capable of sustaining 32+lb so I would have no concerns about stringing the KRP version providing they are in good condition.

One other thing to share, I noticed on the two BS12s the red grommets are a bit longer than all my other BSs. Just wondering if this is the same for the normal BS12s.

10. Uncle tan

Uncle tan Regular Member

Very nice post, lots of info..tq.

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Ok, had a play with the BS12N last night and here are my initial thoughts.

A friend of mine had the normal BS12N so I asked to compare the two but she was using VS850@~22lb, whilst mine was NBG99@31lb so I didn't bother playing with her one. But bending both shafts statically it didn't feel that much stiffer than the standard version.

Swinging it properly for the first time and playing a few shots, it was very nice. Great feel. The balance was perfect for me, very similar to my BS10, BS11 and BSLHI... and as expected, just as fast...

It wasn't head heavy at all, but had just enough weight in the head for decent power but retains the excellent speed of even balanced racquets. I was expecting it to be a little head heavy given the reviews I've read and that LYD prefers slightly head heavy racquets.

I have been playing with NBG99@31-32lb exclusively for some time now, so I'm used to the feel of these stings at this tension but I was surprised by how much "crisper" my clears and drives felt on the BS12N. My partner actually commented on the "ping" sound it made which did sound a bit different... perhaps a little louder too. Now, NBG99 is not known for the sound it makes, in fact I would probably say it doesn't sound all that nice. But somehow on the BS12N KRP, it does.

In terms of shaft stiffness I was expecting it to be fairly stiff. But actually it wasn't. It was at most, only as stiff as my BS11/LHI, possibly even a fraction less stiff.

However it was more forgiving than both my BS11 and BSLHI and as suspected, it had quite a large and high sweetspot. The feel was very good, but I would have preferred it to be a touch stiffer. If I were to rate the stiffness, it would probably be around 3.8/5 rather than the standard 3/5 on the Victor dot scale. But I probably wouldn't give it a 4/5.

I would love to get my hands on a couple more BS12 KRPs so I can actually play with them and have one in safekeeping for the collection.

12. CitizenErased

CitizenErased Regular Member

This isn't bad idea, if we can post the specs of our racquets, others can take it to know more about future purchases. As directsportseshop do it.

13. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    As others bcome more sophisticated in their purchase, shopkeepers will show their disapproving looks...

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Just a mini update on this. I tried the blue BS12 KRP for the first time yesterday and these are my thoughts.

The first thing that struck me was the stiffness of the shaft - it isn't very stiff. It was noticeably less stiff than my BS11/LHI but carried enough headweight to give decent access to power. The sweetspot felt wider and as with all BSs, it had excellent feel.

I was a little dissappointed by the fact it didn't feel as stiff as my BS11 as I was hoping the KRP being a racquet made for the pros, would be at least on par with a 4/5 stiffness victor. It wasn't floppy like the ArcZS, but definitely less stiff than any 4/5 stiffness victor I have tried.

This made my full power smashes a tad weaker, but any short stroke power shots such as stick smashes, round the head smashes were very good as the power was easy to access.

In comparison to the BS12N KRP, my BS12 KRP was perhaps marginally less stiff despite having very similar weights and BP. Other than that, it was differnt to differentiate between the two. But having tried both, I think I prefer the BS12N but it isn't quite good enough for me to put down my BS11/LHI.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

I still don't understand why and how half the KOR team uses it...

Just watched the MD final of KOR grand prix between LYD/YYS and KSH/SBC... four BS12's!

Granted they get great defence out of it, but smashes from the rear were lacking sting if compared to the other top MD pairs.

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Neither do I...

Could it be that not all BS12s KRPs are the same, and that they are individually tailored in stiffness, balance and weight to the actual player?

If that is the case, it is plausible that the BS12 KRP that I have may have been made for a weaker player, e.g a korean WD player?

I honestly do not believe KSH or YYS will be able to generate the power they can with the BS12KRP I have.

17. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Is BS12 KRP similar to BS LYD...? Any BS rackets close to the KRP?

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Sorry only just saw your post.

No, the BS12 KRP is not the same as BSLYD. In fact it is completely different.

The BS12 (KRP or not) is one of the fastest of the BS range but the BSLYD is imo the slowest. The feel is different too, the weight of the BSLYD seems to be centred around the Tee, whereas the BS12s are centred a little higher.

The mould is also completely different in that the BSLYD has a fat frame, and thick shaft - see measurements above.

I would say that the BS12 KRP and BS12N KRP are similar to the BS11 and BSLHI but slightly less stiff and with a slightly wider sweetspot.

It would be great if I could get a standard BS12 to compare as I have a small suspicion that the material may be a little different - although the difference, if any, is very slight - I may even be imagining it! But I remember thinking that it felt more "solid" than my other BSs.

19. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Better late than nvr... tks!

20. T.O.P

T.O.P Regular Member

Since the infos showing BS12 and BS12N it's very close enough. How do you feel about BS12 & BS12N ? I'm personally using BS12 as well. Would like to know the comparison of BS12 and BS12N since it's hard to get BS12 now. Is BS12N close to BS12 ?