How to choose the correct Ankle Brace for Badminton

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by shooting stroke, Nov 25, 2014.

1. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Despite being a license badminton coach and having taking all the necessary approach in injury management and prevention, sometimes injury still can happen. I've been using ankle brace on my right ankle for approximately 7 years already. I decided to use an ankle brace after having sustained multiple ankle sprain ranging from grade 1 (twice) to grade 2 (5 time) within this many, many years of training and competing (locally and internationally) which the last injury (my 7th ankle sprain in 2007) has made my right ankle chronically unstable. After using numerous other type of ankle support and protection within this many years, I've come to a conclusion that using a suitable ankle braces for my chronically unstable right ankle has provided me :

- Adequate level of ankle protection as it is able in many times preventing the attempts of my ankle from going to an eversion or inversion sprain
    - Greater ankle stability even in a very demanding type of movements or long hours of training ( > 5
    hrs/session/5 days)
    - I still can move comfortably and it does not affect my ankle joint range of mobility
    - High degree of self confident and mental comfort
    - Cost benefit (average buying a new one in every 2 years)

No doubt that it is still very important to have the full awareness and knowledge on injury prevention, but combined this by using suitable ankle protection will further better your chances in preventing from a recurrent ankle injury to happens especially if you have a chronic unstable ankle joint. Since i manage to find and use a suitable ankle brace for me, I've not sustained any recurrent right ankle sprain since 2007 and there were many times that i thought it was going to happen while playing but my ankle brace has manage to play some critical part in preventing it from happening.

1. How to choose the correct Ankle Brace for you

If you play badminton and have decided that you want to use an ankle brace, you must know that not all type of ankle brace can be use comfortably and effectively for badminton. Since there are certain type of ankle braces that are design specifically for rehabilitation purposes only, therefore knowing what are the correct ankle brace specifications that can suit comfortably for you while at the same time can still also provide a high level of ankle protection in preventing a new or recurrent ankle injury is the key that can guide you to choose what is the correct ankle brace for you.

These are the specifications that you must know

a. The Material

- A good ankle brace should be made from a breathable material that can keeps your foot and ankle cool and dry during use.
    - It should also be made from a soft/light material but durable to sustain heavy usage while playing badminton
    - It should also be latex free to prevent from any skin allergic reaction that can possibly happen once use in long hours
    - Neoprene/Nylon/Drytex/Vynl are some examples of material that are used with such specifications

b. The Design

A good ankle brace that is used in badminton should be easily applied and does not hinder normal movements. It should also as well have the following design specifications

- Strap
    Velcro has a far better ankle grip then a lace up design and more adjustable
    - Stabilizer
    Should have padded lining on either side of the ankle to help guard against any attempts of an ankle sprains and rollovers while playing badminton.
    - Weight
    Should be lightweight to use while playing badminton
    - Design
    Should be anatomically design to fit easily in your badminton shoes without creating additional bulk and weight.

Important facts about ankle brace

1. If you are new in using an ankle brace, it may feel little awkward initially when using it while playing badminton but once you've been using it for some time, you won't feel any difference and your sense to it will be like just wearing socks to your legs

2. Wearing any form of ankle equipment (from level 1 ( ankle support) to level 3 protection (ankle brace) does not reduce your game performance. Below is a study done for this issue a published studies in 2005 done by a team of researchers from the Sports Medicine Institute, University Hospital of Munster, Germany for your references for the above issues

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...2&d=1289400468

3. Regardless what grade of your ankle injury, wearing an ankle brace, if you choose one, has both significant important role as a prophylaxis for the occurrence of an ankle injury and also the prevention of the recurrence of an ankle injury. Therefore, an ankle brace can be beneficially used both as an ankle protection for an athlete that has no history of ankle injury but fears the risk of getting one and also as an ankle protection against a recurrence of an ankle injury. Below are 2 study done for this:

a. The Role of Ankle Bracing for Prevention of Ankle Sprain Injuries - Publication from the
    Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Theraphy

A studies done in 2003 by Dr Michael T. Gross and Hsiu Yi Liu and an official publication of the Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Theraphy Sections of the American Physical Theraphy Association. (Attachment of document is below).

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...7&d=1289360495

b. The Textbook of Sports Medicine - 2002 by Michael Kjaer

A comprehensive coverage of both basic science and clinical aspects of sports injury and physical activity from the World's leading authorities within exercise physiology, clinical internal medicine, sports medicine and traumatology.

http://books.google.com.my/books?id=FsUK9I5ME9kC&pg=PA549&lpg=PA549&dq=ankle+ brace+%2B+research+%2B+prophylaxis+and+prevention+ against+ankle+injury&source=bl&ots=AGFzniq2Tm&sig= vrKtjaoo6FxJUJZx7In3jLrH9NA&hl=en&ei=7eLZTMOcFJLsv QP81cjuCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&v ed=0CD4Q6AEwBw

Examples of a good ankle brace that suitable for badminton

1. Aircast A60 from Aircast
    2. PSB Ankle Brace from PSB
    3. McDavid Ankle Brace Ultralight 195

SS

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Is the Yonex one any good?

And btw, any experience or idea of any good knee tensors with stabilizers? The Yonex and Victor ones don't provide enough support for people like me with previous ligament injuries...

3. shooting stroke

I never use any knee brace before since thank lord i've never injured any of it. However, I have a colleague that also was a former national trainee injured his right knee few times (both ACL and PCL) and despite going through certain operation and rehabilitation, he still has some instability issue with his right knee. Currently he is using a knee brace from PSB that he claimed works very well for him that might also work well for you my friend

http://psb.eu/sports/badminton

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Tks mate, I'll look into it...

5. ahcash

ahcash Regular Member

Thanks... Very good info. Just wanted to point out that some of the URL links in your post do not work. Those that are link to badmintoncentral.com.

6. shooting stroke

Sorry mate.....here is another link here in BC which i posted with a similar content few years ago for your references.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...Ankle-injury?p=1556844&viewfull=1#post1556844

It includes a research studies (in pdf file which you can read) published in the Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical therapy from the Orthopaedic and Sports Physical therapy Section of The American Physical Therapy Association and also a link to the book titled Textbook of Sports Medicine: Basic Science and Clinical Aspects of Sports Injury and Physical Activity.

SS

7. shooting stroke

Alright.

As far as looking into the clinical effectiveness of joint support and protection equipments from Yonex or Victor, eventhough they do develop numerous type of such product but IMHO brands that have an in depth R&D devoted into their joint protection manufacturing such as Mcdavid, PSB, LP, Aircast to name a few has a more clinically reliable and effective joint support and protection equipment in their line of production.

8. ahcash

ahcash Regular Member

I had a bad ankle sprain about 9 months ago.. Took me like 3 - 4 months to recovery to a point where I can start playing again. I started wearing McDavid Level 1 Ankle Sleeves ever since. http://www.mcdavidusa.com/Product/431R/MCDAVID_Level_1_Ankle_Sleeve.aspx

I find that it does not restrict my ankle movement and yet provide some level of support. What's your view on that? Should I go for the Level 2 or Level 3 brace for maximum protection? I just want some level of support to prevent me from getting sprained again..

I do however find that after 2 hours of playing, my ankle felt a bit sore and tired even with the sleeves on.

9. shooting stroke

Hi there,

I understand much your condition since I've gone through a very similar situation like yours. I would assume "bad" in your case will be a grade 2 ankle sprain due to it's recovery duration and you still can play back again and I also would assume that you've already gone through proper investigation after that injury to rule out any possibility of a grade 3 sprain or any hair line fracture which in this case would require different type of management.

Ankle sleeves does minimal protection against any roll over ( that is why it is graded as a level 1 ankle joint protection) and it is clinically design other then making your ankle warm in promoting more blood circulation during your rehabilitation phase, the sense of gripping while wearing it can provide some mental comfort that you have some support being used at your previously injured ankle.

The decision to use a level 2 or 3 (ankle brace) ankle protection, if you decided to use one, depends on several key factors. If you fear of getting injured again despite knowing all the necessary approach about injury prevention and wanted an ankle protection that at the same time can provide you with the satisfactory level of ankle protection and mental comfort as well as to better your chance in preventing a recurrence then using an ankle brace will be a wise decision for you. This is even true especially if you have a chronic ankle sprain history. It has done extremely well for me be it in training and competition for this past many years (i am using an Aircast A60) so certainly it will as well can do well for you. You just need to know what brand that is comfortable for you to use while playing badminton with it.

Feeling the soreness at your previously injured ankle after playing is very common because of the extreme usage while playing. Just compress it with ice and take some NSAIDS when necessary. Make sure to be very discipline in your warming up and warming down routine every time you play and you should also focus extra amount of attention while doing this routine towards your both ankle (not just your injured ankle) especially your proprioception exercise.

SS