User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to wear an old pair of glasses while playing. Until it broke at the nosebridge area. I got smashed at in the face but the shuttle landed on the nosebridge part of the glasses ... it happened twice in the span of a month, I think. Then last week, I put my finger up to the nosebridge to nudge the glasses up, and it buckled and broke

I don't think I'd like my eyeball to sustain that kind of trauma, since I only play recreationally.

I'm getting some new protective eyewear soon, either sports goggles, or nice Oakley ones, depending on availability.

The drop-ins I play in, you get different levels of play, very rarely at competition level, so getting set up by your partner happens quite often

Also, you get guerrilla players, who take "killing at the net" to a stupidly ferocious intensity. I remember my partner at the back doing a slow crosscourt drop while I was at the front, and seeing my opponent running forward while doing a full-roundhouse windup. HOLYYYYY! And it didnt look like there was going to be a lot of control in that shot, so I just turned away.

Wear protective eyewear. They might be a nuisance. You'll be glad when you actually need 'em.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have similar experience, maybe even worse, I got hit by my partner!

When I played men's double with my partner, we took front and back, then the opponent hit to the middle court and I can't reach it, I turn around and run to the back court to see if I can get it, but my partner was there! only 1 foot from me and he hit the birdy right to my left eye! Just as Joanne, my first thought is, "Am I going to be blind because of badminton?" Surprisingly, after 10 seconds, when I opened my eyes, I can still see things clear(I think my reflection to close my eye in time save me). Of course, I got a very red eye, but putting ice on it is really helpful. After 1 hour of taking ice, it looked only a little red, although I felt a little dizzy and somehow headache for a couple days, I fully recoverd from it.

My sincere advise is, never look back when your opponent is there! Losing a game is nothing, and health is priceless

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some shots you just have to let it go...

Hey Chungg,

Damn. That's really unfortunate. When I first started playing doubles I had the urge to go for shots that were just a little beyond me. In the heat of the game, we often try to go beyond what we could reach. I have clashed and bumped into partners so many times going for questionable shots. After awhile, I learnt to resist the temptation to overstretch myself by trusting my partners more. By remaining unambiguous about shots I could take (ie. prior discussion, proper positioning, calling of shots, backcourt player has priority of questionable shots), I minimize confusion among us. Best to always face the front, at least you can see where the shots are coming from. Yeah, quite a bummer to get hit by friendly fire

Quote Originally Posted by chungg
    I have similar experience, maybe even worse, I got hit by my partner!

When I played men's double with my partner, we took front and back, then the opponent hit to the middle court and I can't reach it, I turn around and run to the back court to see if I can get it, but my partner was there! only 1 foot from me and he hit the birdy right to my left eye! Just as Joanne, my first thought is, "Am I going to be blind because of badminton?" Surprisingly, after 10 seconds, when I opened my eyes, I can still see things clear(I think my reflection to close my eye in time save me). Of course, I got a very red eye, but putting ice on it is really helpful. After 1 hour of taking ice, it looked only a little red, although I felt a little dizzy and somehow headache for a couple days, I fully recoverd from it.

My sincere advise is, never look back when your opponent is there! Losing a game is nothing, and health is priceless
    Last edited by cappy75; 04-18-2004 at 03:28 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4