City of Markham commits a “HOME” for Badminton at Markham PAN AM CENTER

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by MBCLLAP, Dec 6, 2014.

1. MBCLLAP

MBCLLAP Regular Member

Hello Everybody,

A meeting was held between City of Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti, Commissioner Brenda Librecz, Director of Recreational Services – Mary Creighton, Chief of Staff – Raj Raman and Acting-President of Federation of Badminton Clubs (FBC) – Philip Chow on Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The City of Markham had officially committed to given Badminton a “HOME” at the Markham PAN AM Center, after the 2015 PAN AM Games, to build a Legacy for Badminton.

After the TO2015 PAN AM Games (Sept, 2015), the address of the Federation of Badminton Clubs will be change to:
    · Federation of Badminton Clubs (FBC)
    · Markham PAN AM Center
    · 16 Main Street, Unionville
    · Ontario, L3R 2E5
    · (No longer Philip Chow’s address…YEH!!)

FBC will have an Office to service the Badminton Community, Storage space for Badminton equipment, and access to a meeting room for meeting and planning, at the Markham PAN AM Center.

A meeting will be scheduled between the City Staff, Badminton Canada, Badminton Ontario and FBC to detail out the execution of the Legacy plan over the X-Mas Holiday.

FBC need a NEW President to take Badminton to the NEXT level.

FBC is well situated to grow Badminton with the programs we have put in place:
    · League played had grown from 4 teams to 28 teams in the last 4 years.
    · SMASH program is now acceptable by the York Region School Board for grade 4 to grade 6 students. Pilot programs completed with 12 schools (200 students). FBC has access to 175 elementary schools. Catholic School Board had requested this service as well.
    · Model for obtaining the Trillium Grant is established. FBC is committed to helping other district to implement this model.
    · High Performance Sponsorship is put in place. $5000.00 sponsorship was given to 6 players in Oct, 2014 for their pursuit of excellence. FBC goal is to invest $40,000 toward our High Performance Players in the next 4 years
    · Scholarship will be introduced to the York Region School Board (Public and Catholic) in June, 2015. A total of $30,000 will be given out as Scholarship in the next 4 years.
    · FBC now have a HOME.

I had resigned as President on Nov 30, 2014 at our AGM. Since no one step up to be President, I had committed to the FBC Board to stay on as ACTING President until a NEW President is elected. Even though our legacy plan is back on the track, I don’t intend to come back to the FBC Board as President.

The last 6 months negotiating with the City had been a challenge and NEW Leadership is still needed to work with the City to take Badminton to the next level.
    For those of you who know me well, I am a terrible President for Badminton. I am nothing BUT a good CHANGE Leader.

At a high level, I promise the Badminton Community the following:
    · A HOME
    · Creating an Environment to grow the sport (access to the School)
    · Model to get Funding (eg. Trillium Grant)
    · Grass Root development and Linkage to HP
    · 7 Years of my volunteer life

I have 2 more years to go. In these 2 years, I plan to:
    · Live up to my responsibility as Badminton Sport Chair for TO2015 PAN AM Games.
    · Transition to a NEW FBC President within the next year
    · Develop a sustainable volunteer program for FBC & the City of Markham (legacy programs cannot be sustained without an engage volunteer force)
    · Help another District under Badminton to get the Trillium Grant

My time will be better spend doing the above rather than be President of FBC.

My 7 years commitments to the Badminton Community will end of Jan 1, 2017. My next project is to build a Droid which will take 3 years. I may come back to volunteer for Badminton in 2020.

YEAH!!! I am building R2D2 on my spare time and by 2020, I will have a life size R2D2 running around my house. How cool is that??? So good to be a GEEK!!

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Congratulations, and much thanks on behalf of the wider badminton community!

This will free up some space in your home for, errr... obedient vassals? :D

The city of Markham is blessed to have you, and I'm sure you have the best wishes of all badminton lovers in your future endeavours.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    We need more people like you.