What seems to be wrong?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Zclyh3, May 10, 2001.

1. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    It seems that everytime my playing partner (someone I don't play with as a partner until now) and I play against our boys doubles #1, we always win a set, and then we would lose the next sets and they win the game. Do you think they are just messing around with us the first set? Cause we're capable of beating them but they said that we pissed them off the first set since we won and then they beat us. What seems to be wrong?

2. Don

Don Regular Member

You don't keep the intensity up. You guys are probably slacking off seeing you guys have won the first game. Try opening hard and fast in the second game and limit the errors.

3. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

What do I do about serves that are high to my backhand? You know..the ones that fly to the T section when I'm on the right side. My friend Hafed...(which is one of the doubles we've played) ALWAYS serves like that. If I stand more to the back T, then he serves a shot to the corner of my forehand just barely making the doubles line. So I have to run up to get it. My backhand is no good just to tell you that right now.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i usually pound them down.

5. Don

Don Regular Member

Do the over the head swipe... That usually works, that's what I do and it ends up being a nice drive or huge smash. That's only if I really want to kill the bird, but obviously you don't have a strong backhand so the backahnd drive or smash would be out of the question.

6. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

I've tried the round-the-head smash..it usually flys out on the server side...which is the left. When he serves like that..we usually do a backhand drop...but it's really risky because if we drop it to high they can smash it at us.

7. terence

terence Guest

ans:move fast

just to point out to u:

If the shuttle is HIGH on ur bh side,it means that u have time for u to turn ur body to use forehand or round the head.In order to perform well under this circumstances,u have to be fast in ur footwork when turning(stretch ur leg :u should produce a sissor kick after u have hit the shuttle using this technique).Another important pt to note is that always keep ur racquet up during the play, then even the shuttle is low in ur bh side,u are fast enough to intercept using round the head.i suggest that u practice in this two areas

8. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Re: ans:move fast

Thanks terence. We plan to play them again Friday..we'll see what happens..I hope we can beat them.

9. May

May Guest

Could be like what Don said, or u might have tried too hard in the first set, and started digging into ur reserves by the next game.

10. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Two bits of advice Tony. First, stand closer to the center line, maybe a foot away, and position yourself half a step back from where you might normally stand. You should be able to jump forward to get those tricky diagonal short serves without being too much out of position. Additionally, this positioning will significantly minimize the target area where the opponents are aiming these serves, making it more likely for them to serve wide or directly to you, leaving a good shot for a smash.

Second, on very high serves, you should have time to move directly under the shuttle, so you won't have to worry about a backhand or around the head shot. If the serve is close to the center line, you can move further left to get under the serve - you can move outside of the boundaries of the service court to receive a serve.

I'm not at all a great or even good player, but by implimenting these changes to my game, I have caused most players with whom I play regularly to stop serving in this fashion, as they know I usually will be able smash it back at them for a service return winner.

Good luck in your match today.

11. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Re: ans:move fast

I agree with terence. Also, if he serves a fast drive that gives you trouble, try holding yr racquet more in a vertical position instead of pointing it at the server. Do this especially when you think he's going to serve down the line. You can gently move the racquet without being obvious, and having it more vertical will save time in making yr round the head stroke.

I have a friend who resorts to such serves when he's behind in the score and this method worked for me. In fact after I started doing this in one game, he couldn't believe that I was popping his serves back so fast and kept trying what had always worked before. Three times the sequence was drive serve, my smash, weak return, I put it away.

If you've played with this guy a lot, you probably can sense when he's going to do this kind of serve, so be ready.

Good luck

12. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

We lost today yet again. We didn't even get a set in...damn it...

13. terence

terence Guest

C'mon,There's nothing to lose.More importantly u must be able to learn from ur mistakes.i think u need some time to adjust/implement changes in ur game.Perhaps u could tell me more abt ur opponent's play.

14. i didn't play with my partner for abt 1 month n yesterday we got in trouble. maybe need to touch up again.