Tactics to counter opponent that use drive(double)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rotchanasakn, Dec 14, 2014.

1. rotchanasakn

rotchanasakn Regular Member

engineer
    In my club , I meet the pair that play with front - rear position(offensive).
    The situation start here with rear person start smash and front person intercept smash return with straight drive.After that drive war begin and drive shot from them is very effective ( front person always use drive and stay mid-court).
    How can I play with this situation?When "drive shot" the front person , play better.
    Sometime I think play with cross court drive , or play shot to the side line.
    I do not need to lift because the rear player have strong smash too.
    More information,
    Their front player have weak smash and when he in rear court usually play fast drop shot.
    My pair do not have problem when we in "offensive position" both pair have level in defensive play.
    Thank you very much.

2. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    You have to make the back court guy move..rally & lift the shuttle.. Unless and until you do so, the rally will end with lift->smash->weak return->quick drive.

3. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Vary your returning shots. You don't necessary have to participate in the drive war. Return with a net shot, return with a lift, drive, etc and move them around.

If you manage to get the front guy to the back and you know that their front guy will play a drop most of the time, anticipate and intercept it fast. Depending on the situation, a cross court/straight net or a quick brush of the shuttle will send both of them scrambling to defend it.

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Ever tried to play a soft, short block to the first smash?

5. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

I can't tell if the OP is describing a standard smash/defense situation or a driving-rally.

In either situation, anything "soft" (landing near or ahead of the opponents low service line) will either get a net kill or a tight net shot. Use with caution.

If this is smash defense (i.e. you are hitting the shuttle some way below tape height), the way to break your opponent's attack is to take a (relatively) high smash early and play a flat drive to either of your opponent's side-lines. However, if the fore-court player (who should really be in the mid-court for a smash from deep) can intercept, the same warning applies. If your opposition are in a good position and have played a good shot, your only credible option is to lift. Make it the best lift that you can (high trajectory, coming steeply down deep into a rear corner) and be alert for the fore-court player being out of position and/or a weak smash.

If this is a driving rally (i.e. you are hitting the shuttle about tape height), then you have 2 options: drive or lift. The consideration here is "who is winning the driving rally?" If you are hitting slightly up (and your opposition down), then you are losing the driving rally. Your opposition will be closer to the net than you. If your opposition can intercept early, they can put a tight block/kill in, winning the attack and probably the point. You need to realize when this is happening and lift before you lose the rally. Of course, if you are winning the drive rally, you need to press your advantage, winning the attack and (hopefully) the point.

The higher the standard of play, the higher the proportion of points won by the pair who are attacking.

6. |_Footwork_|

A soft, short block is one of the answers in fast exchanges, especially defending a smash.
    Obv, you should mix it up: lift back, drive back, block. Like that, the opposing netplayer can't be sure what to cover.

A lot of beginners/intermdiates have the tendency to try to lift or drive against every smash and use the short block (longline and cross) too rarely.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Agreed. In that situation, I would be playing my lifts very high and very deep to the guy at the back, and then when he smashes I would play a straight or cross block to the tramlines.

If the opposing net player is in the middle of the court - he will never be able to attack my straight block, so I move in to attack the net (or stay side by side but in an attacking mindset). Or if he is covering the straight very well, i would start turning my defence cross court. If I get into a driving rally that I don't like, I will take the pace out of one shot and see what they do - they will either lift it or play net - either way gets me out of the driving rally I don't want. If I don't like the rally, I may also just lift it to the back - I am not afraid of someone smashing at me.

Good luck!

8. rotchanasakn

engineer
    Thank you very much, your answers are very clear.
    Next time I will use your advices to counter them. I will vary my shots to make counter them.
    And find which shot make them in trouble (and score for mine).
    Any advice please tell me.
    Thank you for you all guys

9. rotchanasakn

engineer
    Hi, MSeeley
    Same with me "I do not afraid someone smashing at me".
    But they do drive war instead.(555555)
    Don't serious, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    They can't do a drive war unless you start it ;) just keep lifting!

11. |_Footwork_|

Well, you can't win men's doubles by lifting...

12. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The great indonesian players of 10 years ago would probably disagree. But perhaps just read my previous post for a more thorough analysis ;)

13. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

drive exchanges are still 50:50 where everyone trying to get a chance to attack, so if you think they drive better just place drop around net (cross or straight) or push to the corners (if you can) for change of pace and force them to lift. counter attacking is the way to get out of this situation. unlike shots going downwards like intercept drops, blocks, smashes, pushes or net kills (where opponent have the upper hands that might create winning shots), with drives you could always turn the tide of game, also drive from front court could also be risky to be long too(out) if too fast and flat so it's uncharacteristic to use (most front players in my club would hit downwards with smashes, drop intercepts, blocks, pushes and net kills), you can also exploit their weaknesses by sending the guy who is good at front to the back with attacking clears and not giving chance to the guy good at smashes with a lot of dropshots ^^

14. rotchanasakn

engineer
    Than you very much,mikescully
    Next match we (I and my buddy) will try to do vary shot placements to the op.And see the result.
    Now we talk to each other about these tactics and which suitable for us.For me I practice a lot in footwork to get the bird early (hope quick enough to decide the shot to play).